Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

6 man chair at hemel snow centre

Poster: A snowHead
Just had an email from Hemel saying that they've just installed a 6 man chair at the bottom of the slope. Not to get skiiers up the slope (you still have to use the button lift for that) but to help beginners practice getting on and off.

Interesting idea but there didn't seem huge amounts of room for anything at the bottom of the slope at Hemel - has anyone seen it? Is it a working model - if so, surely that takes up loads of space, and if not, then I'm not sure it really helps beginners at all.

I'm there on Sat so will have a look with interest!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 7-11-18 14:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.thesnowcentre.com/snowsure/news/How-to-use-a-chair-lift
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Laughing

You shuffle forward, it picks you up, you sit down and try avoid poking someone in the eye, wait for the barrier to come down (if its a new one), you sit there talking nonsense and laughing at poor peoples misfortune below for 5-10 mins, then you get giddy as it rapidly approaches the top station and the barrier comes up.....the fun/ challenge is getting off not on I'd have thought.....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, completely agree! So if it is a stationary chair then I'm not sure it's much use, unless I'm missing something!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe it slides along a rail.
You try and shuffle in front of it while an slope person tries to ram it into the back of your legs as hard as they can
Played using a points systems. The more skiers you knock down the higher the points
Boarders count half as they are too easy
Employee which most points at end of week wins a prize
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SnowPenguin, Smile Smile Smile
I'd like to think there's trick plays too, whereby with the first contact the skier drops a pole, and then as they bend to pick it up - kaboom the 3 pointer dignity stripper.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Surely it needs to be an old school non decoupling one. Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WindOfChange, I like it. Bonus rounds!
Adding an extra person to the 6 already shuffling and run over the loser.
Or pre-load a couple of people before the loading zone.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did look to see if this was a bumped thread from April 1st........ wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, I wondered that too!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To get a proper simulation you need to have a scrum of people to elbow out of the way to get to the line, then you need some tosser who has decided that the 6 man should be private for him and his beloved/best mate who blocks the way, then a stupid magic carpet that runs you into the back of the chair in front before you sit down then the "kid friendly" bar comes down and crushes you in the nads.

Then to get off have a random person on the chair hold the bar down because they are scared or still have weight on the footrest, then dive off in a hurry into a crowd of people just standing having a chat and a boarder on his/her arris.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've actually seen an ESF instructor in Hemel the other day, wondered the hell. Now I know - he is an essential part of lift experience, jams little kids into a seat next to you
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oleski wrote:
I've actually seen an ESF instructor in Hemel the other day, wondered the hell. Now I know - he is an essential part of lift experience, jams little kids into a seat next to you

He's also there to ensure the bar is slammed into your head before you've even sat down properly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DotM, It is Hemel, there is always going to be a scrum, plus someone unable to stop ploughing into the crowd.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
To get a proper simulation you need to have a scrum of people to elbow out of the way to get to the line, then you need some tosser who has decided that the 6 man should be private for him and his beloved/best mate who blocks the way, then a stupid magic carpet that runs you into the back of the chair in front before you sit down then the "kid friendly" bar comes down and crushes you in the nads.

Then to get off have a random person on the chair hold the bar down because they are scared or still have weight on the footrest, then dive off in a hurry into a crowd of people just standing having a chat and a boarder on his/her arris.

Don't forget a couple at the front (always British), with 3 kids, all stopped so preventing anyone else getting on and calling the name of a 4th kid who is about 10 people back in the scrum.
ski holidays
4th kid always called Toby or Ollie.
snow report
WOT! No 4 foot drop in front of it to faceplant into?

Ya just can't fake reality wink
snow conditions
The new chairlift is a comfortable place to have a seat and enjoy the free coffee while watching what happens on the slope. Not sure of it's value beyond that, although if you were a beginner who'd never visited a ski resort you'd at least have an idea of what a chairlift looks like and how the safety bar operated.

@Oleski, that would be Claude, ESF instructor who is based in Tignes but is currently on assignment in London (I think at the French embassy) and does a little bit of part-time work at Hemel because he likes to teach. He's a really nice guy.
ski holidays
Is there a token French teenager playing s**t Europop or generic electronic music over a speaker?
snow conditions
Looks like a Brexit chairlift...

Really wants to leave the station, but is stuck at the bottom and not going anywhere wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy