Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's not a gopro

Poster: A snowHead
DJI dropping their new action camera tomorrow, nothing confirmed (just rumours) on the specs but I'm guessing they'll be looking compete or better the gopro H7 Black - at least on paper.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.dji.com/uk/osmo-action
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Double display is interesting. Would rather OIS than EIS (or both maybe?).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why would someone choose this versus an established and proven brand like GoPro for the same money? Serious question - does if have features over and above the 7 black, and aren’t sales for these on the decline? I’d have thought it’s peaked 3/4 years ago? Is there room for another entrant or is this an established brand already?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Markymark29, DJI are a well established brand in the drone camera sector, market leaders probably, and are very well respected. I have their very compact handheld gimbal-camera which produces excellent video for something which literally fits in your pocket. From the reviews I've seen today of their new action camera it competes well with the GoPro 7 Black (they seem identically specced) and is $50 cheaper.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, ah, my bad I’d never heard of them....that said I’ve no idea about drone tech
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29 wrote:
@rob@rar, ah, my bad I’d never heard of them....that said I’ve no idea about drone tech
DJI do a wide range of drones, from consumer to professional (and pretty much killed GoPro's attempt to move in to this market) as well as a range of handheld gimbal-mounted cameras. This is their first foray in to action cameras I think, and have entered this market with a camera which seems just as good (perhaps more so) as the top of the range GoPro. It's no surprise it's similar in performance as they seem to have identical sensor and processor to the GoPro 7 Black, so any difference is in the software in which DJI have a long and successful track record.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rob@rar, looks impressive. I wonder are the GoPro mounts interchangeable with this? Probably not.....? I’ve got a rucksack shoulder mount that works well and the small size of the Osmo if it fitted would be very good.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29 wrote:
@rob@rar, looks impressive. I wonder are the GoPro mounts interchangeable with this? Probably not.....? I’ve got a rucksack shoulder mount that works well and the small size of the Osmo if it fitted would be very good.
I'm sure it is designed to work with the GoPro ecosystem of different mounts. The case that it comes with has the same mounting system as GoPro cases, so although the cameras are slightly different in size, the DJI will be able to use GoPro accessories.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can mount pretty much anything on anything easily enough, and in practice very few people bother with more than one mount, in my experience at least.
It's not really a differentiator.

It's an interesting play, and welcome competition. I'm not really sure where that market's going though.
I would think that most people have a POV camera by now, and this doesn't seem to offer anything new or cheaper.
A "selfie screen" only sounds like a good idea if you've never used a camera with a 180-degree lens... ya don't need a screen to point it at yourself.

Having had a DJI drone crash due to a firmware defect, I'm not so enamoured with the quality of their code. Or their customer support.
DJI forced me to issue a Chargeback to get my drone replaced - in contrast GoPro have sent me out replacement units without argument when things went wrong.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DJI would normally be a company I'd avoid for their enforced software updates on drones. No way in hell I'd buy one of those with my money.
But if the camera is similar quality to a gopro 7 black, and the stabilisation works properly in low light (ie MTBing in a forest), which Go Pro doesn't (although that's subjective), then I want one.

I see all the top Youtube vloggers have got review vids out. Just waiting for the weekend, when I expect all the top Youtube MTBers should have a first ride vid up. Interested to see the yaw response, and hear the audio/wind suppression etc.

Be interesting if it works out. Go Pro tried a drone which flopped trying to edge in to DJI's market, iirc. Wonder if the reverse will be the same?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy wrote:
DJI would normally be a company I'd avoid for their enforced software updates on drones. No way in hell I'd buy one of those with my money.
But if the camera is similar quality to a gopro 7 black, and the stabilisation works properly in low light (ie MTBing in a forest), which Go Pro doesn't (although that's subjective), then I want one.

Still you could just buy a Hawkeye Firefly and get 4K plus real OIS and not worry if you crash coz it only cost you 100 euros.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

For info the EIS on the DJI crops a lot more of the frame than the Hero7, nearly twice as much to be more specific.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy,
Quote:

DJI would normally be a company I'd avoid for their enforced software updates on drones.

Given the Gatwick event and potential risks posed by drones I'm not sure that this is such a bad thing. 99% of us tolerate Microsoft doing exactly the same thing without too much fuss.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's precisely why they do it, and a jolly good thing it is.

Microsoft has actually taken "fuss" over that from people who ought to know better, but if it's connected, it needs to be up to date or it's hugely vulnerable.

With DJI the main thing is that you need to start it up before you plan a trip, as inevitably there's always a huge update. With MS it's more about when the updates are scheduled to be done, and the risks of updates with such a broad hardware base. The latest update makes update and reversion simpler; I just did both.
snow report
The battery life on 4K with EIS is very good.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@andy,
Quote:

DJI would normally be a company I'd avoid for their enforced software updates on drones.

Given the Gatwick event

I thought that had all been debunked now.

Anyway Gatwick and kms out were already in the DJI exclusion zone, no update needed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy