Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea - Milky Way 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
Local FB pages in Sestriere reported 30cm on one day during the recent storm and the webcams seem to support that. At last they have more modern webcams - a huge, but overdue, improvement. It looks like they will get some more snow over the next week or two along with everywhere else, so hopefully a good start to the season everywhere.

Also, they have been firing up some new snow cannons, presumably to build a decent base, and it looks like there are large piles of (possibly farmed/stored) snow in position ready to make the snow park.

Finally, if I read correctly, it looks like the 2006 Cessna bobsleigh course is going to be recommissioned for the 2026 Winter Olympics.

Anyone in the Milky Way able to give a more authoritative update?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like Sestriere held up well in the rain.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was doing well, but it seems that it was rather warm. Still, at least some is left and hopefully they can get back on track imminently.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Day 1 today.

About 20% of the VL open.

Montgenevre has the most lifts running so far.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[url=]http://youtube.com/v/2tkYdHWPnZc&t=353s[/url]

Sauze online's first snow report of the season
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/2tkYdHWPnZc&t=353s
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking at going to Sestriere this Sunday. A lot of lifts in and around VL still closed, and all the links seem closed too. Any chance of them opening soon?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was tracking it a bit last year as went there in Jan, they don't rush to open much pre-xmas hols to preserve what snow they have, so unlikely they will open much more than present until it snows more. It then normally take 24 hours after heavy snow to get the links open.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
t44tomo wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/2tkYdHWPnZc&t=353s

Sauze online's first snow report of the season

Fixed link..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
t44tomo wrote:
I was tracking it a bit last year as went there in Jan, they don't rush to open much pre-xmas hols to preserve what snow they have, so unlikely they will open much more than present until it snows more. It then normally take 24 hours after heavy snow to get the links open.

Thanks. So I asked Crystal to switch us from Andorra to Sestriere, leaving this Sunday! It looks like just the main bit above Sestriere is open, the Pragelato on the left isn't open yet. Will that be enough to keep us occupied? Is it possible to get a bus or something to Claviere/Montgenevre and is it worth doing?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That snow report video looks good! But it will be warming up a little soon for a couple of days, hopefully the snow will keep?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weather looks cold overnight so what is there should keep no problem, it then looks like snowmageddon from Wed night / Thurs. The open area is Ok for start, depends a bit what level you are, but you will be skiing laps. The good news is its only 30 mins in a taxi to MontG where a lot more is open - need to check what passes crystal have given you - need to be "International" to access MontG.

You never know they may open up the Borgata / Banchetta side and Sansicario next week and then you will have plenty to go at for a while, a phased opening up is not unusual.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lol yes a bit worried about the mega snow dump! Hopefully they will be able to flatten it all down a bit overnight?

Yes will be great if they can open up a few more of the other lifts/links. But otherwise just happy to be gorging on Italian food all week!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/uaUJ5Q3ieb8?si=tgsHGva0ftPMyJat

Seems like Via Lattea aren't going to open the links ahead of Xmas weekend.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any more reports on the Milky Way, heading that way ....
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/zNLAl5Qb-J4?si=l8gCQX2raN3Kh9xc
snow conditions
@nevis1003, I'm sure an experienced mountain man like your goodself will be able to suss where the good snow is Laughing

Being slightly serious darling xxx kiss kiss, I plan to go over to the Dormilouise Ridge/ Les Fonts this week to see what conditions are like to see if there got hammered by the wind that we had.

Either way if you're there this week it's going to be feckin mayhem, next week totally different.

PS are you taking the dog Laughing
ski holidays
Is anyone out in Sestriere/Sauze? The number of runs opened seems dire. Does anyone have local knowledge. Is Christmas not important to the resort? Will the resort try and manage the opening of more runs in January? Planned to come out beginning of February but if it is like this, will go elsewhere.
latest report
Around 70% of lifts and 40% of Via Lattea runs are currently open.

Montgenèvre is best, and 85-95% open.
snow report
Just got back from Sestriere on Christmas Eve. Last week was amazing even with Borgata closed. Late in the week was a bit icy in the afternoon on bits in the shade. Not sure if there is much snow this week forecasted. They were going to open the gondola links on the 23rd but the wind scuppered that. It might be open now hopefully.

Some people went to Montgenevre which was good when it was running properly but wind closed a lot of lifts another day.
snow report
Thanks both. I hear what you say but for the Borgata runs to be closed, it sounds like a disaster.

After lots of searching, I discovered the Vialattea app which shows you that 40% of the lifts are closed and 60% of the runs.

I spoke to a local once who described himself as a thorn in the lift owners side. He said they milked the resort like a cash cow, taking as much money as possible whilst investing the least. It was why even when snow was aplenty, runs/ lifts were kept closed. With decent investment and snow management, they should have more than 40% of the pistes open. I bet the lift pass is still full price and not 60% off.

Such a shame. I see resorts such as Cervinia have most of their runs open as does Serre Chevalier. I appreciate they have had better snow but 60% closed!!!!
snow conditions
@Jellioti, it's a whole month away, it will have almost certainly snowed more by then. There hasn't been lots of snow, so they are managing what they have. It's also a vast area. Did you watch the snow report, they got the main links open as soon as the wind dropped.

I will say though last year quite I'd few of the 'edge of the resort' runs that don't have cannons, they didn't open at all. That didn't stop us enjoying ourselves out there.
ski holidays
We skied twice in Via Lattea last year (at the times we went it was one of the better options for snow cover) and there's no doubt it's badly managed. Runs built and then never opened even with sufficient cover, abandoned runs over in Claviere and down to Cesana etc. (of course, these abandoned/never opened runs are used to inflate the Kms of piste it claims to have).

It's true that it's not a good snow year so far for the southern Alps but there are other places that would work a lot harder to open terrain. It creates a vicious cycle as they can't increase the lift pass price without improving the offer but they likely can't improve the offer without additional revenue from...somewhere. (or maybe managing what they have a little better!)
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
.......Either way if you're there this week it's going to be feckin mayhem, next week totally different....

Got that wrong rolling eyes

Just been speaking to my Italian neighbours and next Monday is a bank holiday, New Years day obviously, but then the Friday is a holiday so the Italians will be taking that week off and it will be busy, so they say, and said stay away from Clavier for at least another week when I asked them!
ski holidays
Do you think the condition will get better in mid January? Will more runs open in January? Originally planned a solo trip around Jan 12-13 to via lattea but if conditions are not good (no fresh pow, icy?) I am thinking of going to La thuile instead.
ski holidays
Has anyone got a recommendation for ski hire in Montgenèvre? Last year we hired from Intersport (residence du Golf) and can't help but think there are better options?
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
.......Either way if you're there this week it's going to be feckin mayhem, next week totally different....

Got that wrong rolling eyes

Just been speaking to my Italian neighbours and next Monday is a bank holiday, New Years day obviously, but then the Friday is a holiday so the Italians will be taking that week off and it will be busy, so they say, and said stay away from Clavier for at least another week when I asked them!

I got that wrong last year as well, when we went to Monty. Unlike the French, the Italien school holidays seem regularly to include New Years week. Monty or Clavière didn't make a difference, though. This year all bets are off, as the French schools are on holiday as well...
snow conditions
Some clips I took in Sestriere last week:

http://youtube.com/v/qCD7xQEzomg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
@nevis1003, I'm sure an experienced mountain man like your goodself will be able to suss where the good snow is Laughing

Being slightly serious darling xxx kiss kiss, I plan to go over to the Dormilouise Ridge/ Les Fonts this week to see what conditions are like to see if there got hammered by the wind that we had.

Either way if you're there this week it's going to be feckin mayhem, next week totally different.

PS are you taking the dog Laughing

How's it going, I see you are up to 10,000 plus posts you absolute knob
ski holidays
Anybody out there at the moment? We're heading for Sestriere on the 13th and I'm a little concerned with the (lack of) snowfall to date. From what I can see, the last significant fall was on 4th Dec. and I'm not seeing anything of consequence in the next week or so. Is it icy out there? Or whats it like?
latest report
elefantfresh wrote:
Anybody out there at the moment? We're heading for Sestriere on the 13th and I'm a little concerned with the (lack of) snowfall to date. From what I can see, the last significant fall was on 4th Dec. and I'm not seeing anything of consequence in the next week or so. Is it icy out there? Or whats it like?

http://youtube.com/v/oRNm0I6_dUo

Sauzeonline snow reports are best on the ground guide.

coming week will see light snow and temperatures dropping.
snow report
@t44tomo, Thanks for that - Will keep an eye on it - fingers crossed - If temps are down, I'm sure they can run the cannons
snow conditions
Just checked the webcams for Sauze now. Looking very bare everywhere. Due to be there in three weeks but will be keeping a very close eye on the weather and may need to look for another resort.
ski holidays
We're in Sestriere on the 13th - looks better than Sauze - looks ok really, considering - and I think theres a couple of dustings coming this week.
Not sure where else we could go from Turin airport that has a ton of snow - Aosta is better but doenst look incredibly so
Who knows! Let the snow Gods work it out
latest report
Snow arriving on Friday.
snow report
@elefantfresh, I’m currently in Montgenevre, snow really good here. We had 20cm on NYE and another 20cm a couple of days later. And tomorrow there’s up to 30cm forecasted. Only downside has been the amount of people here, never seen queues like it as seems the whole of Turin, Milan etc have come over. But if you’re coming mid Jan those crowds will have gone.
snow conditions
@surferrosa, Sounds positive - thank you for that surferrosa. Yes, we're in Sestriere for 2 weeks from 13th Jan - traditionally quiet ski time in most places.
Just looking at the webcams this morning and at last, some snow!
Wasn't in the Via Lattea for 19 years!! So really looking forward to this one - not to derail the thread as I did on the main weather outlook, but how much is a pint???

Looking good
https://www.sestriere-online.com/sestriere-webcam/
snow report
Skied Sauze on Wednesday and going up again today. There’s enough snow to have a good time so long as you stick to the runs above the lifts out of the village. Was raining in the village for two evenings, but snowing from about Sportinia and above. Snow falling today down to the village, about 1cm so far, but forecast to continue all day.

Drove over to Montgenevre yesterday and the snow there is vastly better - almost like there’s been an invisible barrier on the border between France and Italy that’s holding the snow back! Lovely conditions on that side, but lift queues were pretty bad - not bad enough to spoil a brilliant bluebird day though.
snow report
davehas wrote:
almost like there’s been an invisible barrier on the border between France and Italy that’s holding the snow back! Lovely conditions on that side, but lift queues were pretty bad - not bad enough to spoil a brilliant bluebird day though.

Not that invisible, its a 3000m+ alpine ridge! Very Happy If the weather mainly comes from West, which it has been, Frances gets more, if it comes from south east Italy side gets more! The food is way better on the Italy side though!

Snow for the next 5 days should make conditions underfoot ideal, although visibility a bit tougher. get your low light lenses out!

BTW...
Women's European Cup racing is Mon 8th and Tues 9th down the Kandahar Black off Colle Sestriere / Cit-Roc chair.
ski holidays
t44tomo wrote:
Not that invisible, its a 3000m+ alpine ridge! Very Happy

Fair enough snowHead

Well the forecast was true to its word - it snowed pretty much nonstop all day. At least 20cm on the car in the village, felt like more than that up the mountain. Conditions on and off piste were fantastic. A couple more days like this should put things right back on track!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy