Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If self catering, can you get independent crèche/childcare or do you have to go with a hotel?

Poster: A snowHead
Have done 2 trips in a catered chalet that included crèche / childcare.
Thinking about getting an Airbnb apartment or something but would still need a crèche or something for the kids for after ski school (they’re 5 & 7).

Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding this?
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Rom77, I rent out an apartment. My guests bring children and use the creche at the bottom of the nursery slopes during the day , but aged 5&7 would expect they would be in ski school until teatime, and then in the care of their parents in the evening. The creche closes at the end of the ski day. Parents in France take their children out for early supper (or even normal dinner) and then off to bed, they are welcome in bars and restaurants.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We mostly go self-catering and have used local nursery’s with no problems at all. You can usually find details on the local tourist information website. Just make sure you book well in advance during peak season!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@caspriddy, local nurseries available in the evenings after skiing?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah so sorry, didn't read that properly!! Embarassed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We rent out SC apartments and chalets but also help organise lessons and childcare, you don't need a package to dump your kids/ensure that they enjoy the cultural and sporting benefits of the mountains Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can organise a babysitter if needed for Mum and Dad to have an evening out, but it is meant to be a family holiday.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In some resorts there are stand alone nanny companies.... who would be able to do “post skiing” activities.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think @Rom77 needs to clarify what "after ski school" means in this case. Do they finish at lunchtime or is it all day? It could be either!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok I can see the confusion.
In my previous 2 trips the kids went to ski school 9am till 12ish.
From 12 till 5 we either spent time in the snow together with the kids or me and my wife would still be away on the mountain and the kids were cared for by the crèche in the catered chalet.
Wanted to find out if the childcare aspect of this is attainable if I did a self catering accommodation rather than catered chalet?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Rom77, you could book some private childcare for the afternoon, or extend the kids ski school to all day lessons? I may be wrong about other resorts but the creche facilities in Monetier, where my apartment is only take children up to aged 5 I think.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
probably depends on the resort & what you can find.
Some ESF schools offer childcare for the afternoon (after a morning lesson).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rom77, they could probably ski 4 hours of lessons, depending on your children. We would typically book for 4 hours of ski school with lunch included. Then play it by ear. Some days we would get them at lunch or after lunch. But our kids loved ski school and often wanted to ski all day. Would depend on the weather though! Cold or snowing and 2 hours was enough.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rom77, you've not said which resort you're thinking of have you? (just checking in case I missed it)

There are quite a lot of Independant Nanny companies out there; merinannies, snowAngels, jelly & icecream, T4 nannies, jack frosts, meribel nannies, are the ones off the top of my head, they tend to be resort specific so bound to be one in the resort you're thinking of.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go to Austria and book all day ski school.
ski holidays
All day ski school is available in France too.
ski holidays
We self catered for the first time last year. We have 3 kids (4, 6 and 7) and we organised an in resort Nanny through T4 Nannies. The price was £900 for the week. She would look after the youngest whilst we did ski school drop off for the the 2 eldest, then she dropped he youngest off an picked them all up, took hem to lunch (both in a restaurant or back at he chalet) and then did things in the afternoon with them until we got back at half 4 (swimming, sledding, building snowmen). Our kids loved her! On the last day we all skied together (including the nanny). This was in Meribel.
ski holidays
Actually,
one year we had one family with us who brought their cousin to look after the kids (mostly the youngest kid who was 2).
Nanny had a free trip, included some free time so she could try skiing herself. Probably worked out cheaper than childcare for 4 kids!
ski holidays
We rent out our SC chalet and some guests use the ESF ski school club that runs in the afternoon. Ski school morning, lunch, play afternoon and parents collect after that. We tended to ski in the morning while they were in ski school and then have family skiing in the afternoon. I have seen a number of unhappy children crying after ski school because they then have to go into the club and not be with the family, so it depends what you want and where you are going to be based.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Go to Austria and book all day ski school.

I Did from (4yrs, and 7 yrs), They loved it, worked really well. met them for lunch some days. at the end of the day hot chocolate on the mountain then ski down
Kids had private lessons for a few trips too (Saalbach hinterglemm, Zauchensee, and Obertauern), absolutely brilliant.
latest report
Ok thanks for the messages.
Think the all day ski school and then just play it by ear sounds like a good option.

So next question. Any recommendations for a good resort for a 5&7 year old?
Somewhere with authentic charm aswell preferably but not essential.

Thanks loads for the good advice
snow report
Here in Saalbach we have friends who have a 5 year old daughter, and we have had other young children staying with us, including wifey's grandchildren. The normal procedure is to meet them from ski-school in the mid-afternoon (3.00 - 3.30pm), and then take them up the mountain to a favourite restaurant, and then ski down, maybe calling at an apres-ski party on the way (which the kids seem to enjoy as much as the adults).

Depending on the weather/the child/the skiing ability/the attitude, there is of course the alternative of taking them back to the apartment to watch TV/DVDs/Peppa Pig or whatever, or for a power nap, but, as this is something that happens in the late afternoon after ski-school, any child care would have to be arranged via the tourist office. The nurseries/creches are obviously geared up for taking kids for whole or half days, but I know that it is possible to hire baby-sitters through the ski school (at a price).
snow report
@Rom77, in our experience (albeit limited in France to La Plagne) we found the Austrian experience easier with kids. Not sure why but @tatmanstours, sort of covered it. Just seemed to work better in Austria (and we have done Arlberg, Ischgl/Kappl, Mayrhofen, Obergurgl) with kids.

Lots of recent threads on here re the “best” Austrian resort etc etc. What dates are you thinking? That would help determine the best location to try.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy