Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cortina for 2 weeks?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I are high-intermediate skiers. We prefer on piste and are happy to do laps when we find a great cruising run. Will there be enough options to keep us entertained for 2 weeks skiing Cortina and the surrounding resorts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DM, welcome to snowHeads,

I think if you had your own transport to give easy access to fairly nearby Sella Ronda linked resorts it would.

If you prefer direct lift links to a large ski area, then somewhere like Corvara, Selva, Arabba might be better.

There are few, if any, better places for high intermediate level piste cruising in Europe than the Dolomites in my experience.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DM, Welcome. 2 weeks in Cortina is too much. 3 days is fine and 4 max. I've done this for a few years with @PaulC1984 and we only did 3 days.

I would recommend hiring a car. I cant comment on the best place to hire. I use my AVIOS to get a dirt cheap deal from Avis. I would recommend getting a petrol car if possible. Even though diesel cars can take additive, even last year when we added it, the temp was so cold it froze. Fortunately in Arabba, a friends dad has a garage to defrost it. Happy

So, you can stay in Cortina and it is lovely. However, if you don't mind a short drive into town then I can recommend the Villa Argentina hotel. Ski in/out 1/2 way up the hill and a great base.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.524881,12.1111533,3a,26.2y,66.16h,91.43t/data=!3m11!1e1!3m9!1sAF1QipNLhJ3Gm2rVLJcYu6XVhpE_Btb-0tCe108DMnfU!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNLhJ3Gm2rVLJcYu6XVhpE_Btb-0tCe108DMnfU%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi0-ya0.79638726-ro0-fo100!7i9000!8i4500!9m2!1b1!2i51?hl=en&authuser=0

Keep going up over the pass Falzarego to Arabba or La Villa. I would recommend Arabba for your standard of skiing. Another option is Corvara
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PS you need to copy and past all the link in
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DM, It is my favourite ski resort and it would be a splendid spot for two weeks.

You are likely to have the odd inclement day and there is plenty in the town to entertain.

A car would be handy to visit surrounding areas although you could use the local bus for Cinqui Torre and the hidden valley which in turn leads on to Armentarola which is a gateway into Alta Badia domain.

We went to Kronplatz one day, 45 minute drive. If you wanted quick access to the Sella Ronda you can easily access Corvara in the car, 30 minutes max.

The piste skiing in Cortina is 1st class but the links are poor but it is easy to get around. It's like stepping back in time in some ways and I think this helps keeps the piste hounds away. I think if it were me I would prefer to stay in the town as there are many nice wine bars and restaurants which all help make the holiday great. The locals are very friendly and the setting is simply superb.

I have been to many resorts(including on the Sella Ronda) in the past but only visited this place last January on a boys trip and enjoyed it so much that I took my wife there for a week in the March! Another week would have very easy to suffer!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@northantsred, thanks for your insights. On the offchance we do get a bit bored of the runs, I'm very happy to switch to the Italian-style ski trip of a few runs before a hearty lunch.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Could you perhaps contemplate 1 week in Cortina, one elsewhere on the Sella Ronda?

Minimise driving and maximise skiing/dining? Very Happy You may not even need to hire a car in that case.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2 weeks Cortina IMO perfect (with own transport) because of its central location in the Dolomite. Apart from already mentioned Corvara, Arabba and Kronplatz the following lesser known skiresorts (thus less frequented) are easy to reach:
> Civetta, 55 minutes drive, 80 km piste, skimap: [url=]www.wintersport.nl/skigebieden/civetta/kaarten [/url]
> Drei Zinnen, 45 minutes drive, 90 km piste, skimap: [url=]https://cdn.wintersport.nl/skimaps/1/267.jpg?fit=original[/url]
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Corrina is glorious. Very laid back.it's more about the ambience than skiing. The lack in investment in infrastructure adds to its charm. If you want to seriously relax for two weeks, Cortina is perfect. If you want variety then the Dolomites is a wonderful place to go for two weeks, although Cortina is not the best place from which to explore geographically.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cortina is lovely and you can play the "spot the Bogner" game.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cortina would not be my choice for 2 weeks. The lift system can be slow and the skiing is split into separate areas which are not well connected. It has some faded glory and fur coats with handbag dogs are not unusual along with the odd Ferrari. Three days would be enough for me.

IMHO Arabba is a much better base for 2 weeks as you get easy access to the Sella Ronda and the Marmolada.

If some nightlife is essential Selva is better than Arabba but piste access is not so good.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DM wrote:
... I'm very happy to switch to the Italian-style ski trip of a few runs before a hearty lunch.

Is there any other way? snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@TQA, Totally agree with you.
I go there every year and stay in Pocol (Villa Argentina Ski in/out) and three days is plenty unless you want to rip the same runs all the time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy