Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Best" week to go skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
So, here's a subjective question. What is the best all round week for a ski holiday?
without kids, either on my own or with MrsL, so outside Feb half term(s) would seem to be a good idea. Prob France or Austria, Reds, Blacks and maybe a bit of off-piste instruction
By "Best" I mean the week(s) most likely to have the best compromise between not to busy, good snow, reasonable weather, etc etc.

Without any info to hand my instinct says early march once the half term rush has subsided, or late Jan before it starts?
Thoughts?

I appreciate it's entirely subjective, but I'd be interested to see people's ideas. ( and I work for an employer where winter 18/19 leave has to be organised right now! rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@alexl, if I had to pick a week in advance, I'd go for early March once the school holidays are finished. I think this is about when snow accumulation is at it's maximum (usually). Anecdotally, I've had green mountains and white strips of piste in late Jan in some of the recent poor/slow start years. I've also had warm temps and slush in early March, but as I like the sun and longer days and quite enjoy slush this isn't a big negative for me.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd say your instincts were probably correct. Early March may give a better chance of good weather and decent snow cover than January, plus more hours of daylight. Note the French school holidays are spread over a few weeks in Feb so remember to avoid those dates as well as the UK half term if you want it quiet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
2019 Madri Gras is 3 March so avoid that week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plus one for early March, but if it’s practical, and you can book last minute, wait and see on conditions, plus you might bag a bargain.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've only been here one season but I would sum it up thus:

November: not much open, great conditions, hardly any people (with the caveat that this season had especially good early snow)
December: much more open, superb conditions, before Christmas very few people, more during Christmas but not especially busy, snowing almost every day, no sun (caveat as above)
January: busy New Year week, fairly quiet thereafter, great conditions, very cold, very little sun
February: first week stupidly busy, next two weeks very busy, last week pretty busy, very cold at times, very little sun
March: bit busy to start with but eased off, a lot more sun, snow still good but getting slushy on home runs
April: sunny and slushy but other than Easter very quiet

If I had one week only I'd go for mid-January and wrap up warm or mid-March and bring factor 50.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 28-04-18 8:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can get bad weather at any time of the season , but Mid March if you choose where to go fairly last minute you are pretty much guaranteed decent snow in my experience.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For cruising on piste, January is as good as March, cheaper too.

But for off-piste, March has much better potential of decent coverage, even powder potential

How about waiting till January and booking last minute? If next year has a good early start like this year, mid-to-late Jan will get you the quietest piste and lesson for the lowest cost. But if Jan doesn't look too promising, you still have time to book early March.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@abc,
Quote:

How about waiting till January and booking last minute? If next year has a good early start like this year, mid-to-late Jan will get you the quietest piste and lesson for the lowest cost. But if Jan doesn't look too promising, you still have time to book early March.

Think you missed the bit where he said.
Quote:

( and I work for an employer where winter 18/19 leave has to be organised right now! rolling eyes )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As someone pointed out to me....Paris is on school holidays till 10th March.
I ski in January and April and love both times of year for different reasons but if you held a gun to my head I'd probably go to Austria in late January. I like the 'proper' winter weather, you can pick a resort with low runs through the trees as well as higher stuff.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can only speak for limited Austrian resorts/areas (TO served), but have for many years (tho' not this last one) done a week around 21-31 Jan and again 21-31 March. Neither stupidly busy, snow useable on all runs and some side to off piste, generally had 6/6 days on snow and little bad weather (low cloud excepting, especially in Jan) and quite often good sun both times. Usually booked 1-3 months in advance and got cheap prices; these often seem the cheapest times to go.
Head for an area with glacier access and you won't go badly wrong any time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always go second week in March. Not too busy, cheaper prices, great snow, usually a bit warmer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Early March
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar wrote:

Think you missed the bit where he said.
Quote:

( and I work for an employer where winter 18/19 leave has to be organised right now! rolling eyes )

Ooops! I did miss that last bit of the OP. Embarassed

In that case, March will definitely be a better choice. And, if the season starts really well, maybe the OP can do a weekender in January.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No contest last week of jan begining of feb before french hols hopefully cold,
good snow and reasonably priced without too many people!
snow report
This week ? 100 euros for 3 days. Sunny loads of snow on the grands montets. No queues. 2 hours sun bathing on the terrace after skiing?
snow report
Book a week around 10th December. Gives you something to look forward to all summer. Then you will be depressed by mid March and be forced to go again with a last minute bargain......book both weeks now 'just in case'

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 27-04-18 22:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
3rd week in January..if only I could do that myself as an extra week tagged onto my 2nd week in Jan trip

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 28-04-18 7:29; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
3rd week of January every time for me. Like it cold, crisp and grippy snow. Warm is available all summer.
latest report
@robboj, oops...i meant January too...will edit
ski holidays
Around 10th of March.
ski holidays
April. Go high. Historically better snow depths, longer days, more sunshine, quieter.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137402&highlight=
snow report
Strange no one has mentioned first week of Feb?

Now the Frenchies have moved their holiday period back a week, that week W/C Feb 2nd will be great, just as the first week of Feb was this season with many places empty as people still think Feb is rammed but in effect it was pretty empty.

And still cold so certainly better for off piste potential than say April, when if you do get fresh snow in April, quite often by noon it's turning to concrete with the warmer temps
snow conditions
thanks guys and gals. lots of food for thought. I'll pick a week, book some flights now (prob lyon or munich to keep the options open) and take the rest as it comes.
snow conditions
DOn't forget that the French school holidays by region are still going early March.
snow report
I’m going last week January / first week February next year as I like ‘proper’ winter. Even so it’s no guarantee and found myself skiing slushy slopes and sweating last year in Jan / Feb in Saalbach during a warm spell last year. Then to make things worse it poured with rain Mad

The week following that in St Anton however was excellent.
snow conditions
I personally prefer late January for the best mix of snow, temperature, short queues and price, but am aware that weather can be unpredictable at best whatever time you pick.
Or another answer......if the alternative is 'no week', then 'any week' skiing is better
Or, whenever you go take a philosopher friend like mine. His reaction to any hotel, any snow conditions, lift queues or other issues is always the same:
'Could be worse, could be sat at my desk in the office'
That positivity even survived a January lift ride in La Rosiere with a sideways wind chill to about -30 and fog when every sensible person had already retired to a bar or restaurant. I should loan him out really
ski holidays
March 16th 2019, Snow, Sun and St Patrick's Day
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leaving aside the snow conditions, which are a complete guess, other considerations are cost, flexibility and type of holiday. Late Jan is generally cheaper than early March. Also, if you're looking for a UK-operated chalet holiday, and are happy to wait till last minute (i.e. up to 2 or 3 days before you go) to see where has got the best conditions, then you'll get more options in late Jan than early March.

However, if you're not so fussed about cost, and don't want to wait till the last minute, and would prefer to avoid the risk of temperatures around -20C (unlikely, but possible in Jan), then early March may be a better choice
snow conditions
The one before or after the week you go
ski holidays
Late Jan for me too (Saalbach). March tends to get a bit too slushy for my liking but the sun and warmth for apres is nice.
ski holidays
I reckon late January or early / mid-March (after half term hols ends). Late Jan edges it for price, but March edges it for snow / weather, especially in high / exposed resorts.

Also heard that the best time of year falls earlier in the Eastern Alps and later in the Western (esp. NW) Alps. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but I'm guessing that might relate to the maritime / continental influences at each end of the Alps?
ski holidays
After spending several complete seasons in Saalbach, I've come to the unsurprising conclusion that choosing the "best" week for weather and snow conditions is a game of chance - stating the obvious, I know. Having said that, it makes sense to avoid the peak season weeks, and, if it were my choice, I'd plump for either mid-January or mid-March for the cheap flights, relatively quiet pistes and reasonable expectation of good conditions. FWIW this last season the nicest skiing I had was in Mid-December, mid-January, mid-March and early April.
ski holidays
Mid January..every time I ski in March there is a heatwave. I like the cold
latest report
early march, but be aware as 3rd-9th is French school holiday next year
latest report
@Mr.Egg, where do you get that from - as you can see from the image below that is not the case, unless that info is wrong?

That's why further up this thread I said first week of Feb is good as everyone still thinks it's the start of the French holidays and it's empty, friends who have a chalet business along from us had no bookings for that week this past Feb for exactly that reason.

ski holidays
@WEATHERCAM amazing data table! thank you !
ski holidays
2nd week of January, after the New Year holidays, my favourite week.
latest report
This is from a cloggie site
https://www.pugski.com/attachments/drukte-2018-2019-jpg.45161/

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 3-05-18 9:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@kedsky, I only copied it from another thread - just seems that many people still think first week of Feb is French holidays - and it's the best of both worlds
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy