Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late May/early June or October/November

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone

We are currently trying to decide whether to make a final trip this season (probably over the late May bank holiday) or save it until the start of next season.

Been looking at the Stubai Glacier or Hintertux, but will go anywhere in Europe. Wondering if the conditions are likely to be better earlier or later? Keen to get a few trips in next season too, so wondering which is best use of money/leave.

We mostly ski on piste, so lifts etc important. Not bothered how busy the towns are. Looking for somewhere between 4 - 6 days skiing ideally. I am intermediate (5 weeks abroad, plus a few trips to Scotland and lots of lessons beforehand), my wife has been skiing for years and is expert. We are taking our little lad too (will be 1 year old in May) so some open cafes for someone to sit with him (one of us, or a grandparent) is useful too!

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bigalan, welcome to snowHeads.

I would think that the snow in Hintertux or similar will be much better in late May than in October. I've been there both times and much preferred the end of the season to the start of the next.

Down in the valley it should be quite warm and be much more pleasant for your lad in May than October.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bigalan, I would say May will be better, obviously depends on the actual weather conditions when you go through. Weather is probably likely to be more pleasant too. Even though there's a deep base this season, there won't be very much terrain open so I hope you don't mind repeating the same pistes lots of times!

I had 3 days in Stubai end of May/start of June weekend in 2015 and it was fantastic - blue skies with fresh snow.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is a record season. Make hay while the sun shines. Who knows for next season!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skied Stubai in early June. Loved it. Reasons above re: weather and snow

Friends skied Soelden for Opening Weekend of WC Racing and loved it. Had great snow conditons the past three winters.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the welcome and advice - do not mind doing the same runs a fair few times! Presumably not a lot more will be open in October than May/start of June anyway, as all depends on very early snow?

Any views on which has more open terrain? Have skied both Stubai and Hintertux before, but difficult to tell which has greater open in the summer. Is it all dependant on snow level, or do they stick to fixed areas for that time of year?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would have thought that there would be much more open in May than October.

Can't help with the Stubai/Hintertux comparison though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Norway ?? https://www.facebook.com/visitfonna/?fref=mentions
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bigalan, I would have thought there would be more open in May than October due to better coverage especially on the glacier part, but not sure.

They do close lifts based on demand/cost rather than lack of snow - last time I in Stubai at the end of May I skinned up/hiked over to some of the closed piste areas which still had more than enough snow but lifts were not running.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Norway is not really an option, given the travel involved with the little lad. Looks like more of Hintertux is open at present, so going to focus on that.

Thanks for the help!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy