Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New rear entry boots.

Poster: A snowHead
Been trying to get my wife into skiing, nothing great but if she can do a green or even a easy blue then it opens so much up for us as a family. I do sympathies with her to a point as getting ready & putting boots on Ect is not my idea of fun & I don't have long nails to stress about.
The actual skiing is ok its the getting the boots on that really get her down, until she got a rental pair of Solomon SYMBIO 440 from out local dry slope, I thought these are weird boots but she got them on no problem, she was comfortable with no heal lift.
This got me thinking do rear entry boots still get made, I would love to get her her own to spur her on a bit.
Any suggestions welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve seen them in decathlon in Sallanches.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jbob, thanks, we are over in July so will pop down but I'm not sure if they only do ski stuff in winter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do her and yourself a favour and get her a pair of properly fitted boots from a bootfitter who will show her how to out them on properly. Unless she has any disabilities is is very unlikelyh that an adult can't get into and be comfortably fitted in an overlap boot. Finding a good fitter to facilitate this cna be considerably more of a challenge.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buy her some nail scissors.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes +1

That's also from personal experience
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes there are new rear entry boots around

The Alpina 4.0 is sold as a beginners boot. Single clip.

The Nordica 357 is also sold as a beginners boot. Single clip.

I am an old fart and ski in rear entry boots. IMHO the best rear entry boot ever made was the Salomon SX 92 Equipe. They turn up on Ebay from time to t
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/JCS06UdqLoE
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.levelninesports.com/alpina-2015-r4-rear-entry-ski-boots
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.skee-tex.co.uk/products/dahu-miss-suzie-womens-ski-boot-791.aspx
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@TQA, ...I had those. In white. For some reason, I could never get the Stars Wars theme out of my head whilst I had them on....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
valais2 wrote:
@TQA, ...I had those. In white. For some reason, I could never get the Stars Wars theme out of my head whilst I had them on....

I still have a similar problem except in my case it is the sound track from Top Gun.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jonny996, Could you not just offer to buy the rental boots she liked from the dry slope ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I spent hundreds on new, properly fitted boots and sufferd agonies the first time I took them out. Never worn again. Ancient rear entry Salomons were much more flexible.
The other difference was in weight.
The 'expertly moulded and fitted' really expensive boots weighed about three times the Salomon.
Some people's feet (like mine) swell at altitude (and after a night out), so would recommend renting until she finds something she can bear.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A couple of weeks ago I skied with a bloke who had just bought some Technica rear entry boots and he loved them. I saw them on-sale in the Scheiber shop in Obergurgl. He was also wearing a Prince Charles type fartbag to complete the retro look.
ski holidays
Putting boots on is really not that hard if you’re doing it right...
snow report
tadumac wrote:
I spent hundreds on new, properly fitted boots and sufferd agonies the first time I took them out. Never worn again.

Maybe they weren't 'properly fitted' then? Take 'em back for a tweak.

Having said that, it does take a day or 2 to bed new boots in - and to get used to properly fitting boots rather than the loose ones you thought were a good fit.... I know, I did it recently snowHead
snow report
tadumac wrote:
I spent hundreds on new, properly fitted boots and sufferd agonies the first time I took them out. Never worn again.

Some people's feet (like mine) swell at altitude (and after a night out), so would recommend renting until she finds something she can bear.

Well there's you solution! Book in for a morning re-fitting session and go out and get hammered the night before, using the beer-swelling to simulate the altitude swelling Smile
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Putting boots on is really not that hard if you’re doing it right...

Yes, it really is. I have properly fitted boots and a high instep. I also haven't much arm strength to pull the tongue forward enough. I bought one of these which helps a bit.

And I have every sympathy with the broken nails! I break at least one, usually 2 or 3, every ski holiday, even though I cut them relatively short beforehand. It's a standing joke in our house. Non skiers always say, "Isn't skiing dangerous?" and husband always answers, "Yes, my wife breaks something every time!" Laughing
snow report
@maggi, I'm with you.
High instep plus high arches. Many years ago a boot fitter in Glasgow asked me to come back so he could use my feet as a training exercise for Sidas insoles for the rest of the staff Embarassed

I have properly fitted boots but they need to be warm but not on hot blast heaters or that will wreck the zip fits or I have no chance of getting them on in under 20 mins.

Luckily years of ballet training (which is probably part of my problem) means I can put my foot "en pointe" and gradually easy my foot in my boots usually while pulling the tongue.

It frustrates everybody else and they all have nuggets of wisdom that they think will speed things up but I'm used to it and despite visiting the some best boot fitters in the land over the years, pulling tongues back and to the side, putting on liners first nothing speeds up the process.

I just have awkward dancers feet and the boots that suit them are difficult to get on. But since I enjoy skiing I get on with it, minus the odd nail.

Very different for somebody that is new or unsure about skiing like @Jonny996, wife

I was once told I was better suited to rear entry boots so maybe shouldn't have got rid of my old SX 82 rolling eyes
snow report
@maggi, @muppet, I agree. Putting boots on often brings me to tears. If they are cold I have no hope. I tend to put them under the heater in the car on the way to whichever ski area.
latest report
@maggi, @muppet, just checking, pulling the tongue forwards or to the side?
snow conditions
Would a cabrio (3 piece - eg dalbello) design be easier than an overlap boot? Never tried one myself but the tongue can fold completely out of the way so they look like they would be super easy to put on.
latest report
@mgrolf, I have a fitted pair like this from Ertl-Renz. An absolute joy to put on, and an absolute joy to ski in. My previous boots were from Strolz in Lech, also good, but absolute agony to get on and off, so much so that I sometimes wanted to give up!
snow conditions
Me too. I hate it as I’m always the last to get my boots on in my family even if I start earlier. I have extremely high arches, so manoeuvering into that relatively narrow gap is a nightmare. I have bought a little shoe horn that I keep inside my slightly pointy Chelsea boots as getting them on is difficult too. The only good thing about my super high arches is my daughter inherited them and is able to go en points in ballet really easily. I’m glad to be of some use then!!

Just looked at the slipin video Maggie. Is it just a case of the slippiness easing the passage of the foot? I’m considering buying one. I’m not thinking of trying it but would, say, a carrier bag stuffed down the back have the same principle?
snow conditions
Have to say it sounds like those with problems are doing it all wrong...

Fair enough if you are in super snug full on >150 race boots.

But typical fits with numbers <110 as I suspect most are? Should not be any issue barring pathological problems.
snow conditions
@under a new name, well arthritis doesn't help. Putting any form of footwear on isn't easy. But the real issue with ski boots is opening them and holding them open whilst trying to push the foot in. I know all about lifting the tongue up and to the side, but it's a two-handed job whilst you are standing on one leg or sitting in an awkward position.

Rear entry boots were much easier but I also remember them feeling less firm and secure.

Someone somewhere needs to invent something that solves all the problems. I'm not enough of an engineer, all I can do is make them look pretty...
snow report
I needed new boots this year and was fitted with Salomon QST Pro 120s. Their construction is rather different from my previous Salomon boots and they are not only very comfortable for me but they are very easy to put on or take off; I have struggled with this in the past.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@queenie pretty please, rear entry, from a pure engineering perspective, ought to work. But the practical examples were really not very effective at comfortably holding and supporting the feet ankles and shins appropriately.

Sounds like you are doing it properly, so, fair enough. My wife has a more or less fused by arthritis big toe and assiciated bones so wears a full size up in length but low volume boot as she just can’t get the correct size on and the low volume compensates.
latest report
@Alastair, I don't know how old your previous pair of Salomons were, but having bought a pair myself in 2015 I can agree than they are considerably easier to get on and off than my previous boots. The design has changed to make the tongue easier to push forward further, and the plastic is more pliable, except when really cold.

For anyone struggling to get in and out of boots, it is worth considering that there have been design improvements if you have models more than a few years old.
ski holidays
muppet wrote:
@maggi, I'm with you
Quote:
ballet training (which is probably part of my problem)

Quote:
I just have awkward dancers feet and the boots that suit them are difficult to get on. But since I enjoy skiing I get on with it, minus the odd nail.

Snap! Shocked I wonder if this a general thing? Any other dancers out there?

@bambionskiis, I'm not sure you'd be able to pull the carrier bag out of the boot when your foot was in it. The point of the slipin thing is that the bag slides down with your foot but you have the attached tape still outside your boot. You can then pull on it to get the bag out.

@queenie pretty please, if my boots are cold I have no chance either. I keep them in the hotel room with boot warmer/dryers in. Then straight down to the boot room and put them on. On the very odd occasion I haven't done that, I'd had to have a couple of men on their knees, "helping" Shocked Laughing .
snow conditions
@maggi,
Quote:

if my boots are cold I have no chance either. I keep them in the hotel room with boot warmer/dryers in. Then straight down to the boot room and put them on. On the very odd occasion I haven't done that, I'd had to have a couple of men on their knees, "helping" .

+1
I can also not manage without my Slippit.
ski holidays
Women rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Just sayin NehNeh Very Happy Laughing
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
muppet wrote:
@maggi, I'm with you
Quote:
ballet training (which is probably part of my problem)

Quote:

Snap! Shocked I wonder if this a general thing? Any other dancers out there?

@bambionskiis, I'm not sure you'd be able to pull the carrier bag out of the boot when your foot was in it. The point of the slipin thing is that the bag slides down with your foot but you have the attached tape still outside your boot. You can then pull on it to get the bag out.

@queenie pretty please, if my boots are cold I have no chance either. I keep them in the hotel room with boot warmer/dryers in. Then straight down to the boot room and put them on. On the very odd occasion I haven't done that, I'd had to have a couple of men on their knees, "helping" Shocked Laughing .

Thanks Maggi, I’ll give slippin a go.

As an aside I’ve bought one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ski-Key-BC/dp/B06XHSX8BL?tag=amz07b-21

I feel sorry for my husband having to keep doing one of the buckles of my boot up so I treated him. Not tried it yet though.
ski holidays
I ski in Salomon SX 92 Equipes. The boot is very easy to put on. I just open the boot up stand up point my toe and push my foot in. For anyone really struggling with getting into a modern 4 clip boot it might be worth your while to track down a pair of Salomon 92 Equipe boots and see if you find them easy to put.

To do up the boot there is a small over center lever on the front of the boot and a single longer lever on the back which tightens two wires. This takes more effort than the front clip but is much easier than a ratchet clip on a 4 clip boot as the lever i longer. Adjusting the fit is done by turning knurled adjusting fittings. I do the with the boot off. Once set these stay at the adjusted point so there is no daily struggle to remember how many clicks/ratchet to go to. I am old and creaky and push the lever down using the other foot in the boot.

I too struggled with 4 clip boots and was on the point of giving up skiing when I tried on my current 92 Equipes. I can do them up in the morning and ski all day not even undoing them at lunch. Incidentally I too have high arches, us big fat old guys are supposed to have flat feet but nobody told my arches this.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@queenie pretty please, rear entry, from a pure engineering perspective, ought to work. But the practical examples were really not very effective at comfortably holding and supporting the feet ankles and shins appropriately.

Sounds like you are doing it properly, so, fair enough. My wife has a more or less fused by arthritis big toe and assiciated bones so wears a full size up in length but low volume boot as she just can’t get the correct size on and the low volume compensates.

My missus also has a fused toe, and unfortunately, as she has slim feet as well, she needs the low volume boot in the correct length, plus she's a powerful enough skier to need a stiff boot. All that adds up to an often painful struggle she can barely manage without help. Once she's in and rolling though it all seems worthwhile.

I bought myself a pair of Full Tilts last season (as my Mark1 Cochise won't go into a standard demo binding) and they are so easy to get into with the hinged tongue that next time she needs boots we'll be looking to see if these will suit her feet.
snow report
@midgetbiker, Or look at boots with lace-up liners. You put your foot into the liner first then put it into the shell.
latest report
@midgetbiker, I think if my OH needed correct length she'd struggle too. She similarly needs(?)/likes a race boot.
snow report
rjs wrote:
@midgetbiker, Or look at boots with lace-up liners. You put your foot into the liner first then put it into the shell.

Yep, my Cochise are the 'pro light' model and have a lace up liner, and they are also super easy to get in and out of.

The liner often comes out of the Full Tilts when I take the boots off too.

Maybe the optimal boot for the wife is the Full Tilt touring boots that @doc got this season?
snow conditions
Have a look around there are many freeride style boots that due to having a walk mode, open as wide as any rear entry boots.

My Roxa rx3's the tongue opens one way and the rear opens the other, I can almost lift the line out vertically!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy