Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European School Holidays 2017-18

Poster: A snowHead

Click image for a clearer version

Courtesy, once again, of Eric Bonnel:

https://twitter.com/ebonnel

Edit: note that Mardi Gras (Fasching) is 13 February - during U.K. half term.

Preceding year : http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124749

Succeeding year : http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3107903

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 6-12-18 22:41; edited 6 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Super - thanks to @altis, and of course to the Great Man himself for tweeting these wonderful calendars.

Looks a tricky one next year... March is a bit more trappy than normal, but a lovely clear run through January
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most useful thread on Snowheads, thank you @altis.

Curious omission seems to be Austrian school holidays and Fasching dates?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Themasterpiece, I use this site for Austrian school holidays:
http://www.feiertage-oesterreich.at/schulferien/2017/

Fasching can be found under Aktionstage calendar off the menu top right.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great calendar!

Looks like Italy at Feb half term could be a better bet than france?

Can anyone with experience tell me if Italy is normally quieter than france (in the week at least)?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great calendar. Just to say Swansea schools Feb half term 2018 is week 8 rather than week 7. Guess other areas may be same.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We go to France in half term - Serre Chevalier and Vars and it's not been too busy. A short wait for some main chairs but rest was fine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like France may be relatively quiet during the first UK Easter week. No French schools off. Only really the Germans (and the Brits, of course) as a big potential source of skiers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sheffskibod wrote:
Looks like Italy at Feb half term could be a better bet than france?

Can anyone with experience tell me if Italy is normally quieter than france (in the week at least)?
Only French zone 1 overlaps UK half term, so perhaps not bad in France. I've never done half term in France, but I can say that Italy (at least in Cervinia) has been OK the last two years.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brillant @altis, just what I need. Found "cheap" flights to Munich for half term but looks as if France might be a better bet UK as it's going to clash with Fasching in Austria, typical as Geneva flights are 3x the Munich price. What to do?!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@always29, can you give us a heads up on the "cheap" flights?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have just returned from our trip to Austria and being in the holiday mode I thought I would just have a little check out of the half term 'deals' for Feb 2018. My goodness - the prices are SO ridiculous - the holiday we have just been on with TO is £2500 MORE than this year. Extortionate!!
Who is going to pay over £6000 for 3 people to go skiing for a week?????
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@@smudger, around £250pp whereas we paid just over £300 this year - skyscanner with Lufthansa.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
12 and 13 Feb 2018 will be a Fasching holiday for a lot of Italy (Holiday in Abruzzo, Basilicata, Bolzano - Alto Adige, Calabria, Campania, Emilia-Romagna, Friuli-Venezia, Giulia, Lazio, Liguria, Lombardia, Marche, Molise, Piemonte, Puglia, Sardegna, Sicilia, Toscana, Trento (Prov. aut.), Umbria, Valle d'Aosta, Veneto) so this will have implications (was mentioned by my Ski Instructor in Corvara this half term). We were in St Anton last year over Fasching, but it hardly made a difference as it isn't an actual holiday for lots of areas.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are in Zillertal Arena, Tyrol now during Fasching. There are queues, but nothing horrendous. Longest wait for a gondola was 20 minutes, with average 5-10 minutes for chairs.
ski holidays
Booked up for La Plagne 11th - 18th Feb, pleased to see that it's only Zone A week !
ski holidays
It's a tough one for Easter 2018. We are going to Austria last week of March when locals will be on holiday too Sad but following week is UK holidays so much more expensive.....opting for the cheaper holiday but worried piste will be horrendously busy.
ski holidays
Is there a particular French zone to avoid for their February holidays? We're looking at UCPA centres so various locations possible but we likely need to travel end Feb/early March and I do like quiet slopes!
snow report
@milzibkit,
Quote:

Is there a particular French zone to avoid for their February holidays?

I'd say avoid Zone C (Paris) weeks if possible. Also, in Feb 2018, Zone A week coincides with main GB half term (and Belgium, for good measure).
That leaves w/c 3 March as your best option during French school winter break 2018, in my opinion. Even then, finding quiet slopes will be a challenge. Choosing where to go then becomes important.
snow report
Thanks for the advice. The UCPA centres mostly seem to be in the well-established ski areas so I assume they'll be fairly busy that week.
ski holidays
help out an american here--week of Feb 17-24 looks pretty good if one avoids France correct? That's after UK mid term and Fasching, small concentration of "D" (is that Germany?), some Swiss (including Zurich), but generally pretty good for February?
snow report
mr. mike wrote:
help out an american here--week of Feb 17-24 looks pretty good if one avoids France correct? That's after UK mid term and Fasching, small concentration of "D" (is that Germany?), some Swiss (including Zurich), but generally pretty good for February?

In Switzerland we are certainly busy, but not crazy that week. February is usually good for snow too.
snow conditions
@mr. mike, Quite a few UK areas have their February half term break 17-24 Feb 2018. Part of Netherlands too, in addition to those you mention. Snow conditions will influence visitor numbers. February still considered peak season, so busier than March or January (except for school holiday periods). 17-24 probably less crowded than previous week.

If / when you have somewhere specific in mind, I'm sure snowHeads will advise how busy they think places might be.
snow conditions
The worse weeks in France are the two middle weeks of the holidays as that is when there are two regions on holiday at the same time. The best weeks if you have to go are the first and last week of the French holidays.
latest report
Always used this calendar for reference but this year we were in the Dolomites week 27/1 -3/2 and it was much busier than expected, turned out to be an Austrian holiday. I don't see Austria on the chart or am I missing it?
snow conditions
sarah wrote:
Always used this calendar for reference but this year we were in the Dolomites week 27/1 -3/2 and it was much busier than expected, turned out to be an Austrian holiday. I don't see Austria on the chart or am I missing it?

We arrived in Selva on Sat 3rd Feb and it was very busy for a few days with German speaking visitors but really quietened down on the Tuesday so that is probably explained by your comment above .

We left on the 10th and they were gearing up for an Italian holiday which doesn’t appear on the chart either - Carnivale they called it ?

I guess the only way to really avoid the crowds is mid to late Jan ??
latest report
@sheffskibod, yes that was it, we arrived on the 27th and it seemed to get busier as the week went on. The hotel told us it was an Austrian holiday, hence the German speakers.

Carnevale is on the chart!! it's in the 'others' section and yes I was in a different part of Italy that week and it was very busy with Italians on Carnevale!!
snow report
sarah wrote:
@sheffskibod, yes that was it, we arrived on the 27th and it seemed to get busier as the week went on. The hotel told us it was an Austrian holiday, hence the German speakers.

Carnevale is on the chart!! it's in the 'others' section and yes I was in a different part of Italy that week and it was very busy with Italians on Carnevale!!

It is but says Portugal and Brasil...!! ( and China?)

It’s a bloody minefield !

Sadly as I have a son about to start GCSE’s who will then go onto A levels ( and a daughter 4 years younger ) I am stuffed anyway for the next 8 years...!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
can anyone shed some light on w/c 24th march?
Denmark, part of UK, Poland, E?
latest report
snow_mac wrote:
can anyone shed some light on w/c 24th march?
Denmark, part of UK, Poland, E?

Looking at it there's what you said but also Germany and Russia (on the others).

My guess at E would be Spain?

As for the UK it would seem a large part are the following week from the areas I have looked at.

Would also appreciate any more info on this as I'm in Les Arcs that week!
snow report
E is indeed Spain... They ski in Spain (mainly on the plain) if at all.

No Germans will come to France so don't worry about them and I don't think the Russians are too much of an issue at Easter

Plenty of Brits of my acquaintance are planing and early easter trip though, even though the official Skool hols aren't till the week after

Not many Danes and those that there are tend to drive down to Austria

All in all it should be a lovely week of fairly quiet Spring skiing
latest report
Does anyone know when the one for 2018/9 is likely to come out?
snow report
@Dave SnowPros, try here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3107903
snow report
Thanks @alastair
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy