Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flight cancelled insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Hola,

I'm looking for a "top up" insurance to cover a gap in my existing travel policy.

I want an insurance policy to cover the costs I incur when an airline cancels a flight, for example BA recently cancelled my flight back from Salzburg and I had to pay for an Easyjet flight to get home along with additional hire car costs.

Has anyone seen such a thing please?

Thank you,

Keith
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't you claim compensation from the airline. Or get a better travel policy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Hells Bells,

BA have said they will cover hotel and subsistence which I didn't need/look to recover, but not for the costs of hire car extension or an alternative flight to their alternatives. BA have paid out the EU261 compensation and refunded the Avios for the cancelled flight which in this case leaves me "£OK", and also means the flight was not cancelled for extraordinary circumstances which is covered by my insurance policy.

I have a policy through work which is a good one for everything else and just renewed for the next 12 months, tbh I could not see this type of cover in other policies from looking around.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Keith_b, Why couldn't BA just a get you back, or b. transfer you on to another carrier?

Per WikiP, "If a flight is cancelled, passengers are automatically entitled to their choice of (a.) re-routing to the same destination at the earliest opportunity (under comparable conditions); (b.) later rerouting, at the passenger's convenience, to the same destination under comparable conditions (subject to seat availability); or (c.) a refund of the ticket as well as a return flight to the point of first departure, when relevant. Any ticket refund is the price paid for the flight(s) not used, plus the cost of flights already flown in cases where the cancellation has made those flights of no purpose. Where applicable, passengers are also entitled to refreshments, communication and accommodation as described below. Where re-routing is to another airport serving the same destination, the airline must pay for onward transport to the original airport or to a close-by destination agreed with the passenger."

Did you follow BA's "rules" at the time?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Keith_b, why doesn't your existing travel insurance cover this? I had a flight cancelled by Lufthansa a couple of years ago. I couldn't claim against the airline as the reason for cancellation was weather-related, but I could have claimed against my travel insurance. In the end I decided not to as I was only 90 quid out of pocket and the excess was 75.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ under a new name - yep, I followed all the BA rules and BA complied with the regs by offering a later replacement flight back to Heathrow, but not Gatwick as the original destination (I live in Brighton). I did give this alternative BA flight a go but their "accept" button did not work - this all at 1230am when BA's customer service number is not in use and you know you're in competition with lots of other people with the same problem. In the end I took the refund option processed via Avios who I could speak to, not BA, and booked a flight with Easyjet back to Gatwick.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi @queenie pretty please - are you well?

Speaking to my insurer this morning a claim for costs because of cancelled flights needs to be because of volcanoes, war, hurricanes etc etc (extraordinary reasons).

BA have not said why they cancelled the flight btw, the fact they paid out EU261 means they could not avoid it for "extraordinary reasons" and is an implied acknowledgement of "operational reasons" - this was during the "snow" on the 19th March - BA seem to have a habit of cancelling short haul to protect long haul.

The gap in my insurance is I don't have cover for the more boring reasons for flight cancellations.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Keith_b, fair enough. I have heard about "accept" buttons not working elsewhere here... rolling eyes and of course it would happen in the middle of the night.

Easyjet have just refunded north of CHF 1,100 incurred to get us home from Edinburgh during the late feb snow flurries. Which was a welcome bit of afternoon news for me as I was skeptical.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most insurance policies will have this gap as you are expected to mitigate your loss by taking the airline provided alternatives - in your case if staying in pocket had been the key thing you should have taken the LHR flight and got BA to give you a taxi voucher or transfer back to Gatwick, or accepted an overnight hotel and a LGW in the morning.

You did your own thing without checking first with your insurer. TBH I might have done the same thing if getting home was a priority to me but I'd probably have half expected to have to eat some cost - just one of those things in a lifetime of travel,
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Keith_b, awesome thanks! Where have you skied this season?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BA should still be liable for reasonable out of pocket expenses.
The EU compensation is to compensate you for your troubles, not to pay/offset reasonable expenses.
I think Car hire for an extra day or so, would be a lot cheaper for them to pay than a taxi/transport for yourself & clan.
As you paid with Avios, maybe make a counter offer to pay you in avios?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@queenie - only three trips this year, Campitello di fassa, Sölden and hinterglem. Hopefully back to alpendorf next year 😊😊, how about you?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 6-04-18 9:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dotm - yep, it’s a gap in the insurance I have and I’d like to close it.

I’m not getting any tips here around an extra insurance option, so I think I’ll go look at the wider policy I’ll use for next season.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mr egg, I agree with your analysis, however the law leads the outcome to a different conclusion

I’m not in a bad place here tbh. I’ve had this happen twice now in two years and the losses have been “£OK”, I want to be ready for when the costs don’t work out so well 😊😊😊
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@uann - sorry to hear of your cancellation as well
snow conditions
Keith_b wrote:
@dotm - yep, it’s a gap in the insurance I have and I’d like to close it. ....

I travel a lot, but really I've never had to incur expense because an airline cancels. I realize I'm not helping, but I'm unclear what you're trying to achieve. A relaxed attitude and some persistence in dealing with airlines helps. I've had significant knock-on effects from airline cancellations but never taken our insurance against that and never been out of pocket.
latest report
@Keith_b, I live in Ski Amadé now so skiing every weekend! You'll have to give me a shout if you come this way next season.
snow report
@philwig - my aim here is to cover a gap that I (and you) have not lost on yet. I reckon I will, but as you point out I might not.
latest report
@queenie - I will be in touch when I'm down your way next and congratulations Happy. What insurance do you use so I can move over to one that covers this scenario please?
snow report
Keith_b wrote:
Hola,

I'm looking for a "top up" insurance to cover a gap in my existing travel policy.

I want an insurance policy to cover the costs I incur when an airline cancels a flight, for example BA recently cancelled my flight back from Salzburg and I had to pay for an Easyjet flight to get home along with additional hire car costs.

Has anyone seen such a thing please?

Thank you,

Keith

Why don't you just self insure ? ie every time you book a flight, put £20 / £50 or whatever in a bank account / jam jar or whatever and then if it does go wrong the claims process is easy, just open the jam jar, Laughing and if it does not happen you are quids in.
ski holidays
I had a conversation with insurers (through Nationwide FlexiPlus) about what would happen if our RyanAir Flight was one of those cancelled last September. (It was not though the one before to the same destination was). As far as I could ascertain, if my flights were delayed for 4 hours or more I would have £1 000 (minus £50 excess) per person insured, to pay for alternative travel and associated costs that I could not recover from any other source.

@Keith_b, In case thats of any use.
snow conditions
@caravanskier - thank you, I'll go check that one out Happy
ski holidays
Being in Insurance myself, theres never really a scenario where you are 100% covered of all eventualities. Theres usually some kind of excess to keep the cost of being the contract in the first place more affordable.
Ive had many a scenario myself where EasyJet flights out of Munich have been cancelled. One where the next available seat wasn't until late on Tuesday 48 hours later. They were going to put us up ina hotel in munich and pay for 3 meals a day from the sunday night until 21-00 ish flight on the Tuesday. I arranged independently for the five of us to remain in the hotel that EJ put us in for the sunday night, got taken my taxi from airport to city centre, paid for by EJ, and had breakfast in the hotel the following morning.
We then paid for a taxi to the Bhanhoff, got trains to Innsbruck, taxi to the airport in Innsbruck, flights back to Gatwick, arr 5pm on the Monday.

EJ paid me back every Euro it cost us to go back that way. Cant complain, so I don't understand where under Regulation 261 they couldn't compensate you. I know I was using EJ to get back. I had another scenario where we used Airlingus and they still settled my alternate flight costs.
snow conditions
@jafa, it's not highlit in bold at the top of EZY's Ts & Cs, but if the earliest they offer as a replacement is >48hrs from your scheduled, you can switch to an alternate airline (presumably alternate transport?) at their expense.

My recent experience during a wee bit of snow in Scotland suggests that thats the optimal choice. That said, EZY were clearly doing their best (at call centre level) to be helpful in a difficult operational situation - and as mentioned above, have refunded me completely for all pit of pocket expenses. Well done them.
latest report
@Keith_b, at the time I had travel insurance with my bank account, NatWest. I don't have travel insurance as such any more.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone for the contributions here, very useful to me. Keith
snow report
Just a thought re accept buttons not working. Might using an alternative browser have worked. More of a question than a suggestion.
ski holidays
@jbob - good question, in my case neither Safari nor Firefox worked on my iPhone at the time.

It would have been helpful to have a sms or automated call centre option to accept, BA use these tools for other customer interactions.

I’m personally left with the perception of BA that their priority is minimum cost compliance of their legal obligations rather than effective rerouting of a customer due to operational changes they needed to make.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy