Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss MagicPass 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone that's already holding a MagicPass will have received an email shot today that it's being repeated next year.

There's a handful of new stations being added most notably Arolla & Evolene (IMO). And, it's going to include the summer as well which is really fantastic for VTT etc.

The date limit will be 09/04 and more details here:

https://www.magicpass.ch/en/

new stations: Espace Dent Blanche (Evolène – La Forclaz – Arolla), the Vallée de Joux (L’Abbaye - L’Orient – Le Brassus), the Riviera (Pléïades - Rochers-de-Naye).

summer: Anzère, Charmey, Crans-Montana, Evolène, Grimentz/Zinal, Jaun, La Berra, Leysin, Les Marecottes, Moléson, Ovronnaz, Schwarzsee, St-Luc/Chandolin, Vercorin, Villars-Gryon

It's CHF 399.- for the year, still a bargain.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ise, ....just bought ours again.

Summer.....YES!.....was resigned to buying loads of passes for DH and climbing ... and now included.

Excellent
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You beat me to it. We've just returned from 2 months touring Magic Pass resorts in our motorhome, in all I boarded for about 40 days at 10 resorts so that worked out at £7 per day which subsidised the cost of eating! My favourites were Grimentz, Charmey and Les Mosses (I love cols). Very few crowded days, sunny weekends being by far the busiest, I even had an entire resort to myself for 90 minutes one morning after fresh overnight snow.

Although my wife, who only skied at dozen days at £25 per day, wants to go to Haute Savoie again next year I'm very tempted to buy the pass for myself just to cover a side trip of a fortnight or so.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This was the col des Mosses this morning.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ise, ...really, really grim.

sitting in my office I have NO desire to be there...

(sound of head being banged against desktop....)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lovely, the run back from La Lecherette and at the opposite end one of the easiest blacks ever! Cols always seem to be sunny and uncrowded., and they catch good snow.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just renewed magic passes again for me and family, skiing every weekend in the region ANYWAY as part of the ski club, with the nippers doing a minimum of 2 days a week from Dec-April makes this a total no brainer. Will probably incentive us to do a Christmas week in Grimentz/Zinal as well now.....I didn't get to do my planned tour of every magic pass resort this year, I think the revised plan for next year will be to ski all the ones I haven't already Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi ise
Thanks for posting as i hadn't heard of Magic pass before.

Hi BoardieK
I will be doing my first motorhome season next winter.
What were parking and facilities like around the magic pass resorts?

It sounds just what i need and a fantastic price.
Pete
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pete Reed, send me your email via PM and I will send you a review of a number of the small resorts around the Valais.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pete Reed, It was easy to park but more difficult to find functioning servicepoints. On the whole we chose ski lift carparks in rural areas, there are a couple of "aire de camping car" with servicepoints and a few campsites as well. The ten places we stayed were:

Bugnenets-Savagnieres: coach parking area
Charmey: aire with servicepoint and payable elec hookup, adjacent to gondola. CHF15 per day including eurorelais token.
Crans Montana: campsite €35 per day (bit of a hike to lifts or get bus)
Grimentz: aire with servicepoint and free hookup. CHF5 per day carparking plus CHF15 per day for motorhome (which judging by Swiss campers seemed to be "optional")
Les Diablerets: official motorhome parking spaces in carpark next to sports centre, no servicepoint but toilets at sports centre open all night and water available, free.
Les Mosses: unofficial motorhome parking at Arsat lift carpark halfway to La Lecherette. Several campers at weekends, no facilities but lift toilet nearby.
Leysin: aire by ice rink but servicepoint closed in winter (grey waste ok), free.
Moleson: rural lift carpark.
Ovronnaz: several carparks, we chose last on right 400m before chairlift.
Gryon (Villars): official aire with servicepoint but only 2 places, in carpark opposite tourist info CHF2.80 pppn local tax.

Servicepoints in main valley: Villeneuve; outside campsite was working. Motorway services just north of Martigny was out of order but could dump waste. St Leonards servicepoint closed (but could overnight park). Saviese closed but could dump waste (and park). There is also a campsite near Sion that friends used a couple of times to replenish and do the laundry. You can also officially overnight at the Thermal Baths at Saillon and use facilities.

Gas. The only lpg available south of Fribourg were at the ENI station by the airport in Sion, and motorway services at Lausanne (all others shown on mylpg.eu were closed). We bought Swiss Vitogaz bottles at about CHF44 for a 10.5kg bottle. Consignment charge is CHF55 deposit but you get a deposit card and a 100% refund upon return, Vitogaz dealers widespread and in most places listed above.

There were several of the smaller areas which we didn't get to where rural ski lift carparks were also available, notably Nax.

In all we spent about £200 on parking and camping fees during 7 weeks in resorts. This trip was our least expensive 2 month trip and the most varied and enjoyable. Go for it, but do read up on preparing your van.

Photo: at our favourite spot in Les Mosses with the Super Moon rising (actually I think it was the night before). "Not much Apres"

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 9-03-18 17:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Guys

First time poster here and this is going to be very useful for me! I moved from Sydney to Zurich (but a Brit) a couple of years ago and up until now I have mainly been skiing closer to Zurich and in to Austria. The Magic Pass looks like too good an offer to pass up. I also have a winterised campervan, so I think I will have to join the club for next season!

John
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@valais2, Thanks for reply. Only just seen it. Will pm as soon as i work out how to. Not a great forum user Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BoardieK, Great information. Time for me to look at the map in more detail! Thanks. Pete Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I see there is an option for Glacier 3000 at an extra CHF 200.

Any thoughts on whether this would be a good option to take as there is very little information on it?

Although i expect i will use that money towards the parking charges! Thanks. Pete
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Depends on when you are going to be there, if January and February like us then I'd say no as there was plenty of good snow elsewhere and the glacier was often closed because of the wind. If going early December or Easter then it could be worth it.
latest report
It’s a great value pass for some super ski areas. Wouldn’t bother with G3000 as you can get close to that elevation at Zinal or Crans if the snow level is high. What a bonus to get the Summer - we discovered DH mtn biking last year and loved it!
snow conditions
Inspire me guys please! Very Happy

I have this years Magic Pass for myself and Pending Jr and I've been a bit unlucky really I think with conditions anytime we've been out. I think we must have been out for every single closure and white out of the season and missed all the good days. So it's the last chance to get some good use out of it over Easter and I'm struggling to find much enthusiasm. I'm even (shock horror) thinking of going somewhere familiar in France instead and buying new passes - which would be ridiculous, given that this years ski budget is practically smashed at this stage.

We've tried Crans Montana, St Luc Chandolin, Zinal & Grimentz so far. It took the third trip to Z&G before we were actually able to see any of it! I was dying to have a go at the ice climbing in Zinal but even that didn't work out Sad

This time we will be driving instead of using public transport, which might make a difference. So the plan is - arrive off the ferry late afternoon this coming Weds (28th) and drive down to.... somewhere. Then we need to be VT for the SH Family Bash on the 7th. We'll be in a mini camper, so I'm hoping to be able to stay some nights free in car parks etc if it's not too cold, otherwise find cheapish rooms.

Can anyone fill in the blanks and send some enthusiasm my way please? Confused
snow conditions
@Pending, ...we’ve also suffered from the closures ... but still had a ball. We missed one day only (the Big Dump day - avi 5 over the whole of the Valais) and could have skied at Chandolin that day (the only place open and top to bottom powder) if we had got our act together early enough. We had only three lifts open at Crans for the Boys’ Long Weekend....but had a hoot - knee and waist deep powder everywhere.

OK my prediction: don’t go to France ... we had a fantastic time last Easter skiing Vercorin, Grimentz and Crans. No queues at all...so max skiing time. Sun, hard pack from 9-11, nice stuff from 11-2, heavy from 2-4 but still excellent. If you have a car you can chase the conditions, and if we all stay in contact via a SH thread then we can set up daily intelligence about what’s good and what’s not. Good news...Nax is in the best condition ever in March - and they may keep it open ... and Nax is truly a gem. When it’s sunny the all-chair system is not the grim endurance which it is in minus 10 and 15 deg of windchill....
latest report
@Mountain High, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
latest report
@valais2, Ok, Nax it is so! I was looking at the more Northerly resorts in the Jura thinking it might break the journey to head there first, but it looks like the driving distance isn't significantly shorter. Nax was one of the places I wanted to try earlier in the season but didn't get around to. I love the idea of keeping in touch and chasing the best conditions. Should we do that here or start a thread over on the weather & conditions board? Oh hang on, wasn't there one already.... *goes to check...
ski holidays
@Pending, ...let me know which location to use for daily info exchange. We are arriving Valais on 02 April and are there until 10th. Usually we are there Good Friday on but have a birthday in Netherlands to go to...
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
@Pending, ...let me know which location to use for daily info exchange. We are arriving Valais on 02 April and are there until 10th. Usually we are there Good Friday on but have a birthday in Netherlands to go to...

Thanks - I'll start a new one over on the snow conditions @ weather report forum - the one that was there was just Val d'Anniviers
snow report
@Pending, ...good news...projected closing at Nax is 08 04 18...

https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/valais/nax/ski-resort.html

We love Nax.

But Vercorin is good too....

Right...thanks for starting thread...we will be exceedingly interested in who finds what where.

And if you find good stuff...no cheating by saying that it’s cr*p.
snow report
@valais2, keeping an eye on this. Like the sound of Nax!
snow report
@BobinCH, ..Pssssst....Bob...after a fall of fresh....the accessible off piste for your weeny ones is second to none....but DON’T TELL ANYONE.....and definitely don’t mention the free parking at the top car park - the one where you have to force yourself to make the endless walk of about 20m to the piste..or just drop straight back into the car park from the bank....and for sure don’t say anything about the HUGE rollers down from Mt Noble, where you can carve endlessly, swooping down without any fear of collision or even breaking a curve to do anything other than optimise each turn....
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
@valais2, keeping an eye on this. Like the sound of Nax!

Me too Toofy Grin

Oooooh I can't wait now!! Packing now to leave tomorrow...

Any suggestions for a guide in or around Nax? Little lad is already better than me off piste but I wouldn't be happy to take him off just by myself.

And are there toilets up at the top car park?
ski holidays
@Pending, For Nax guide phone Yves on 0041 27 480 4466 or at info@SMS04.ch and mention tim from Cambridge.

No toilet in top car park. So just stop at bottom car park by lift and use the toilets - you can park the car just outside the ticket office, there’s always space, and then go up to the top park. I often drop family off at the station, they can do all the faffing which is necessary, and then just drop down on the piste from the top park. But at this time of year the small bottom car park often has room.

I am in UK at present but heading out again soon ... Nax webcam showing very good conditions at the top:

http://www.naxmontnoble.ch/fr/webcam

Village a little more sparse, so home run may be muddy-puddle dodging...normal Easter fare.

https://www.nax-region.ch/tourisme/webcam-34.html

But Grimentz will be in fine condition - for guide at Grimentz, Yves is your man too.

Parking at Grimentz quite simple - drive up to big station, ignore the ‘you can’t drive up here’ feel to the road, and drop off family for faffing. Then park on the main road - gravel strip overlooking the valley - will be 5-8chf - then walk up steps to lifts.
snow report
@Pending, ...reasonable drop of snow last night at Nax...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pending, @BobinCH, ...right - in weather reports - magic pass info exchange set up...

I'll post each day in-country 03-10th April - if you can too that would be great
snow conditions
OMG!!! ***Nax***

Probably the best conditions I have ever skied. It’s not a holiday resort, not by a long shot, but it’s amazing!! Back again for more tomorrow. Parking was no problem, and there was the odd motor home too. We’re back down the valley at night as our van isn’t winterised, but planning to head back up tomorrow.

Parked at the valley cable car up to Vercorin. Anyone know if that’s included on magic pass or should we drive up?
latest report
Although we didn't go up from there in the end I'm certain the valley cable car is covered on the magic pass.

Missing Nax is my only regret of our trip, @Whiskeyjack went there a couple of times in his van and raved about it.
latest report
@Pending, urgent ... pretty sure vercorin cable car from valley floor NOT covered by magic pass ... check at bottom station you can use the phone to talk to top station - it was NOT covered by the Valais pass before and it’s expensive for four 19chfpp
latest report
@valais2, vercorin today - perfect. Just finished 3 hours of Non-stop on empty pistes.....
ski holidays
still quite a bit of snow in the col des mosses surprisingly

From the nearby Monts Chevreuils:

ski holidays
Trouble in Crans

https://www.rts.ch/info/regions/valais/9459745-le-domaine-skiable-de-crans-montana-ferme-jusqu-a-nouvel-avis.html

Bad planning, the head of the lift company ought to be the mayor. That's best practice elsewhere, or not.
latest report
Yikes! We were thinking of heading over there for a day this week!

Nax was amazing today, despite the poor vis at times.

Oh and the cable car to Vercorin from the valley IS included in the magic pass. Good spot for overnight camping too - toilet on site and the bar opens at 7 for coffee!
snow conditions
@Pending, excellent re vercorin valley cable car - that’s a change for the better - we’ll def use that in the summer with dh rigs...
snow conditions
@Pending, temporary storm between commune and lift company - head to Anzere instead of Crans and you will have a ball - especially the back runs over to Les Rousses....
latest report
Tomorrow Chandolin...will report conditions
snow report
Tomorrow’s plan is Marecottes. Struggled to find anywhere to park, as all the car parks forbid overnights. Headed up past the zoo though and found a spot. Anzere maybe thurs.

I drove up to Verbier this evening - boot troubles - and it’s not that far at all. Less than an hour from Nax. If we’d longer I might have given it a go for a day even though it’s not included.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy