Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teaching in the Far East - Japan & China

Poster: A snowHead
Interested in doing a few weeks next season in Japan or China (preferably Japan) - anyone have any experience and advice? Wondering how much instructors make, what are the busiest periods, where is best to be, what the cost of living is like and how easy it is to get around resorts if I were to spend another week there not working. The flights are about €700 (at least over Christmas time) so quite a lot for only two or three weeks there
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your age please?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A couple of ski instructor friends of mine went to China this season with what were supposedly excellent contracts.

The local business owners turned out to be utter-utter sh*ts and in the end my friends had to do a midnight dash to the airport because the business wanted to retain their passports for admin purposes, having already retained all their pay for tax clarification purposes.

They were part of what was planned to be a JV between two resorts (Europe-China) that has now fallen through.

On the other hand both my youths have worked seasons in Japan, had a great time, had plenty of work and saved enough for extensive post season travels in Japan.
My lass is still there.

Read the other Japan threads...getting around is easy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mike Pow, late twenties, ish. Is it important there?

@rungsp, yikes! Definitely veering more towards Japan.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rungsp, Interesting to hear BASI's big push into China has gone so well for members.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Japan skiing is wonderful... but you'll be up against legions of Aussie/NZ instructors as far as native-English speakers go.

Korea would be another out-there option... at least before even considering China without an 'insider' contact and info.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@coops1967, did you find that a problem when you were looking for work?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Japan is an excellent and very easy to access area. If you're under 31 and British (or one of many other nationalities) you can apply for a Japanese Working Holiday Visa, which is very straightforward, and you'll have the right to work over there. If you're asking only for peak-season work then you'll probably be limited to the larger schools, but if you can do a whole season there's a lot of options open to you. BASI 2 or equivalent generally the minimum standard. I worked a season at the school MikePow has (had?) an affiliation with in the 15/16 season, and it was definitely one of my all time top seasons in terms of people, riding, experience, travel afterwards, money earnt... and I've done a lot.

China is a whole different story. Why do you want to go there? The skiing is extremely limited compared to Japan, and the ski culture isn't especially developed - expect to be teaching a lot of level 1 classes. With regards to wages, you'll get some very varied stories - I know a guy who earnt €25,000 + expenses in 3 months, I also know that if you work for Club Med you're on a £800/month + all expenses package deal.

There's a ton of opportunity over there, and I personally know quite a few people having a wonderful, legit, eye-opening time. Happy to talk you through what's gonig on over there, but are you sure that you want to get involved?

@rungsp - really interested in your story. Can you expand?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @AdamNotts, that’s v helpful. I’d heard about people making a lot of money in China (but was slightly sceptical) - tbh Japan sounds way more appealing. Have you a ballpark idea of what a CSIA L2 would earn weekly? And what sort of living costs you’d expect, if you were only out there for peak weeks? Long shot but any idea if there’s work for race coaches? Ideally I’d be doing that but I suspect it’s unlikely there’s need for coaches who don’t speak Japanese.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you're in Japan you'd be instructing foreigners - plenty of perfectly good Japanese instructors to teach the Japanese clients in their own language.

I'd be amazed if anyone needed a race coach for a 3 week period. You'd be far more likely to be teaching standard lessons to peak-season holidaymakers - especially over Chinese New Year.

My time in Japan was on a season-long deal, which I found more than fair. I'm not sure how accomodation would work for a short visit - I'd imagine the company would help you a lot, if not put you up.

http://www.nisekobase.com/employment/

is an example of the kind of thing you're looking at - one of their job titles is:

NBS Ski Instructors SHORT TERM (Dec-Feb)

Other big companies are GoSnow ( https://www.gosnowniseko.com/careers/instructors ), Niseko Village ( http://www.niseko-village.com/en/white/niseko-village-snow-school.html ) & Hanazono ( https://hanazononiseko.com/en/winter/ski-school ). There's then tons of smaller schools, but I've no idea how many would want you only for a few weeks.

Earnings - I'm not prepared to discuss that but I came away from my season very pleased with my earnings. Get some offers and compare them, none of those big companies will rip you off. Maybe some difficulties, but they're not crooks.

China - it's there, but if you're just after a bit of skiing and maybe some cash then I'd reccommend Japan. People who end up teaching skiing in China at this stage need to be well aware of the pros and cons.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AdamNotts, thanks for the links
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AdamNotts has answered most of what you need.

TBH you're not going to get much luck if you're only looking for a couple of weeks work.

Plenty of instructors prepared and able to commit for the whole season.

NBS (link above) may be interested in your race coaching.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mike Pow, still don't know what rate for L2 teach is, or rent/living costs. One of the links has something that alludes to €230 - €500 p/m rent but not sure if that's subsidised or not. My issue is whether I can afford the flights & accommodation if I'm only teaching for two/three/four weeks. Saw that race club in the first link, but I imagine it's maybe Japanese kids? Will definitely try them though.

Have you worked out there yourself? Great pics on insta
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My stepson worked his first season in Hakuba for Evergreen Outdoor Centre- http://www.evergreen-hakuba.com/en/
He had a great time. Pay basic, but the job came with (basic) shared accommodation and food for which he paid a modest amount out of his wages. I have no idea if they would take you for less than a season. However, the busiest period is Christmas to the end of Jan (Aussie school hols) and then Chinese New Year, so you may find they would be interested in someone for a short period.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Perty, thanks, they were the dates I was thinking of. Is Japan popular with Australians? Hadn't thought of that
snow report
moseyp wrote:
@Mike Pow, still don't know what rate for L2 teach is, or rent/living costs. One of the links has something that alludes to €230 - €500 p/m rent but not sure if that's subsidised or not. My issue is whether I can afford the flights & accommodation if I'm only teaching for two/three/four weeks. Saw that race club in the first link, but I imagine it's maybe Japanese kids? Will definitely try them though.

Have you worked out there yourself? Great pics on insta

Average would be JPY 2000 p/h

Average rent would be JPY 50,000 p/m (shared, 2 to a room)

If you're looking at a couple of weeks forget working, just visit.

NBS race programme is for non-Japanese.

Yes. Two seasons with NBS, nine seasons independent.

Many thanks for your kind comment 👍
ski holidays
moseyp wrote:
[b]Is Japan popular with Australians? Hadn't thought of that

Yes.

And more and more SE Asia
latest report
@Mike Pow, great thanks, so similar to Europe I guess. Why do you think it's not worth only working a couple of weeks - waste of time when I could be skiing? I was just thinking if I worked for a few weeks then that would justify/cover the cost of the flights. Then maybe a week of skiing after, and a day in Tokyo of course

11 years, wow. Is it easy to get from resort to resort? I was thinking I'd hire a car which seems cheap enough, I just have to get some sort of international licence
snow conditions
moseyp wrote:
@Mike Pow, great thanks, so similar to Europe I guess. Why do you think it's not worth only working a couple of weeks - waste of time when I could be skiing? I was just thinking if I worked for a few weeks then that would justify/cover the cost of the flights. Then maybe a week of skiing after, and a day in Tokyo of course

11 years, wow. Is it easy to get from resort to resort? I was thinking I'd hire a car which seems cheap enough, I just have to get some sort of international licence

Too much hassle for the people employing you, and a waste of a Working Holiday Visa just for two weeks.

You won't get work without a visa.

Yes if you have a car. Definitely need International Drivers Licence.

From the Niseko Resort Area you have Niseko United, Niseko Moiwa, Rusutsu, Kiroro, Asari, Otaru Tenguyama, Sapporo Kokusai, Sapporo Teine in a 2hr radius
snow conditions
Quote:

Too much hassle for the people employing you, and a waste of a Working Holiday Visa just for two weeks.

Is there a limit to how many visas you can get? I didn’t realise that. What hassle is there for the employer?

Edit- just thinking about it I assume there’s no limit on visas because I’ve met instructors who go over every year for two weeks in Jan. I’ll email the embassy tomorrow about it, I think I’d be applying for a different type of visa to the working holiday one
ski holidays
moseyp wrote:
Quote:

Is there a limit to how many visas you can get? I didn’t realise that. What hassle is there for the employer?

Edit- just thinking about it I assume there’s no limit on visas because I’ve met instructors who go over every year for two weeks in Jan. I’ll email the embassy tomorrow about it, I think I’d be applying for a different type of visa to the working holiday one

Working Holiday Visa is a one shot deal.

For over 30 year olds and those who have used their Working Holiday Visa the visa required is a Skilled Labour visa.

To qualify for this visa you have to show

1. Ski Instructor certification
2. 3 years ski instructor experience. This is 36 months, which for most instructors is 8-9 seasons.

You can't apply for a Skilled Labour visa independently. A Japanese registered company has to apply on your behalf.

And as I've written a couple of times I'd be very surprised if a Japanese registered company would be interested in going through that process on your behalf for just two weeks worth of work.

But if you can / know someone then fantastic.
snow report
moseyp wrote:
Quote:

Who are these instructors and who do they work for?

Is it the Warren Smith crew?
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, thanks for all the info above - very helpful

Both - UK and Japanese schools
ski holidays
Quote:

And as I've written a couple of times I'd be very surprised if a Japanese registered company would be interested in going through that process on your behalf for just two weeks worth of work.

I'll let you know how I get on!
ski holidays
Unless circumstances have changed this season the European registered ski schools / guiding companies are in on Visitor Visas
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, sorry missed this post before. Is a visitor visa different to a working visa? I got a nice response back from the embassy saying that I need a certificate of eligibility two months before I plan to travel, and that lots of instructors are heading out there every winter so plenty of opportunity. Definitely going to make some plans over the summer for next January
snow conditions
moseyp wrote:
@Mike Pow, sorry missed this post before. Is a visitor visa different to a working visa? I got a nice response back from the embassy saying that I need a certificate of eligibility two months before I plan to travel, and that lots of instructors are heading out there every winter so plenty of opportunity. Definitely going to make some plans over the summer for next January

Visitor Visa is as it says, for visitors. On holiday. Not working.

There are those who roll the dice and come in on a Visitor Visa and work illegally. That's your choice. If you get caught, then you'll be deported. And it will make it almost impossible to return in the future.

As I've written before, you can't get the Certificate of Eligibility independently.

you apply to work for a Japanese registered company, they submit your visa application, and if successful then immigration send the company the Certificate of Eligibility.

They then send it to you and you take it to the Japanese Embassy in London.

All being well 4 days later you return to the Embassy and pick up your passport and Skilled Labor Visa.

Then and only then are you legally entitled to work.
ski holidays
I don’t believe the guys I’ve met were working illegally, and I never suggested that I was planning to do that. Like I said, the embassy outlined the process, said that it’s very common every winter for instructors to go out there in the busy January period and that there’s lots of opportunities there so I’ve no reason to believe otherwise.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moseyp wrote:
I don’t believe the guys I’ve met were working illegally, and I never suggested that I was planning to do that. Like I said, the embassy outlined the process, said that it’s very common every winter for instructors to go out there in the busy January period and that there’s lots of opportunities there so I’ve no reason to believe otherwise.

1. I don't know the guys you've met (or at least I don't believe I do) so can't comment on their situation. Met many people on Hokkaido who 'teach on the side' without the necessary visa.

Also met many European instructors employed by European companies over on 'Improvement / Powder / Adventure Courses' with European customers who have travelled over on Visitor Visas.

2. Never suggested you were planning to work illegally. This isn't a PM, it's public information. I've tried to answer your questions and provide information to others reading this thread.

3. The Embassy has outlined the process, as have I. If they've told you something different from what I've written, please share with me and the readers of this thread.

4. If you can find a Japanese registered company to apply on your behalf for the Skilled Labor Visa to entitle you to work just for the busy January period then fantastic. I gave my opinion that most companies wouldn't be interested. If I'm wrong, then great.

But please share that information on this thread so others may benefit too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy