Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No Easter Holidays from Scotland with Crystal

Poster: A snowHead
Crystal have given up on Scottish holidaymakers at Easter with no holidays in Austria from Scotland for 2019 Sad

Doesn't look like they have many holidays to France either.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ghost Dog,

1. why do you need a tour operator? Just do it yourself.

2. Easter is stupidly (well, more stupidly as it's a stupid concept to start with) late in 2019. So it's hardly surprising.

Book flights as early as poss. Work out destination and accom later. It's unlikely to be terribly busy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If Easter is so late then maybe some Austrian resorts will already be closed. Dont some of them close quite early?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
not every budget airline have announced flight prices yet
also a lot of austrian hotels (& france) have not announced prices either.
Finally, as pointed out, Easter is late next year (21st April) - so a lot of resort will prob be closed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are we talking actual Easter or when the schools break up for "Easter"? Our schools break up April 5th next year.

As others have said, consider DIY.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name,

1) Austria from Scotland is usually cheaper with a TO than DIY.....and Ghosty is a veteran of organising DIY ski trips.

2) By Easter, Ghosty means April, next year the last TUI flight from Edi is on the 23rd March, 3 weekends earlier than this year.

I called and asked them why, the Crystal operative said they had no idea, I asked "is it possible that there will be a change", the response was "Unlikely".

They may however add on holidays for destinations served by the Jet2 Edi-Salzburg flight.

It is a PITA for me as I had planned the first week of April in Mayrhofen for the family ~10 people.

Inghams are still doing that week but are ~£150 a person more expensive for any given hotel over the Crystal price. They are using Austrian Airlines EDI-INN flights.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mayrhofen seems to stay open till Easter Sunday in the years when Easter is at a later date, some videos from 20th April 2014.

Generally great conditions and super quite.

http://youtube.com/v/JYtxzQ9qLCE

http://youtube.com/v/jPM9igb0i0s
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last year when I looked they had no holidays at all to Switzerland after March. It seemed odd to me when Zermatt and Saas Fee are often promoted as good late season choices.
I guess it’s just not profitable for them
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Suspect with Crystal it is more to do with where TUI want to use planes than anything else - by end of March they'll be switching aircraft to sun routes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JimboS, but ...

You are then at the behest of the TO, in this case that means nothings scheduled for when you're looking. DIY tho' could mean Friday-Sunday=9 days skiing?

My suspicion is that the "winter" schedules/slots end at the end of March/early April making flight operations trickier?

P.S. - EDI-INN is not a flight... (it's through FRA)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
looking at the Crystal site it is not just Scotland. last flights to France are on the 13th April which ever airport you select
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JimboS, are you Ghost Dog's PA?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JimboS wrote:
Inghams are still doing that week but are ~£150 a person more expensive for any given hotel over the Crystal price.

I thought there was no Crystal price, given they have no offering that week?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@JimboS, but ...

P.S. - EDI-INN is not a flight... (it's through FRA)

Not what is shown in the Inghams site, they show a direct flight which shows up as as only being bookable by a travel agent on their site.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 9-04-18 16:19; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Layne, Are you pedantic or stupid?
snow conditions
ctskifam wrote:
Suspect with Crystal it is more to do with where TUI want to use planes than anything else - by end of March they'll be switching aircraft to sun routes.

Yes, that was my assumption.
ski holidays
I suspect it a combination of things:

Easter is very late April 21st and most TO do not operate that late.

The TO wants to use their aircraft for sun routes.

Tradditionally the demand for late season bookings is very low, but some real bargins exist. I saw in Sunday's Sunday Times catered chalets being offered in Val d'Isere for next week at £500 per head.

My advice would be to leave the booking until 2019. There will be plenty of accomodation. And don't restrict your self to the so called "budget airlines" The bigger airlines are rarely much more expensive for example Lufthansa do Ediburgh to Innsbruck for about £200 return. Of course the bookings are not available yet. It is over a year away.
latest report
@JimboS, interesting, I presume that’s a charter then as it doesn’t appear (at least, in April ‘19 ) on austrian.com.
snow report
@under a new name, I managed to find it yesterday on the German web site but it said, "travel agent booking only", some of the flights seemed to stop over at Stanstead, but not all of them.

If I could book it at a reasonable price it would be a better option than the Easyjet EDI-MUC or Jet2 EDI-SZG.
snow report
@JimboS, not being silly then, do you have a traditional, friendly neighbourhood travel agent? Mine in Chamonix did an amazing job getting exactly the flights I wanted GVA-Istanbul-Ankara some years ago. (The Turkish site was atrocious - the agent even mentioned that their booking system was “complique”.)

Just checked ITA Matrix and it’s not showing there either (it’s one of the behind the scenes flight organisers).
snow report
@under a new name, @JimboS, that is a charter flight - we flew Austrian EDI-INN a couple of years ago booked on a package to St Anton - can’t recall which TO, but the inflight catering (which I hadn’t expected at all) was v good. At the time I was intrigued by the opportunities offered by such a route but checked with a chum who is a travel agent who confirmed its a charter. Didn’t think to check about getting him to book it for me tho!
latest report
@Inboard, I spent a year doing regular GVA-Bucharest flights via Vienna on Austrian and their inflight, book and pay in advance catering was really rather good.
snow report
Brexit maybe? Some TOs might be holding off taking on commitments until they know their legal and commercial position post Brexit. Hopefully as the remaining open questions get answered, they will run their numbers and commit to charters, chalets, hotels etc.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
.....do you have a traditional, friendly neighbourhood travel agent?

Probably, although I've not been in one for 30 years or more.
ski holidays
Better skiing in Scotland. No need to go out to the alps at Easter Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy