Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next year.....

Poster: A snowHead
Where to go? I've done a lot of skiing recently, so no great itches to scratch and am wondering where to go - there is far too much choice!

Our criteria are:
- UK half term (pesky kids!)
- Ski school for half a day, so we can ski together the other half (I think this rules out quite a lot of Austria but prepared to be corrected.) The kids like being in a group with other kids, private lessons with only each other for company results in some epic battles! I won't use ESF after seeing them leaving kids behind on too many occasions.
- Large ski area. We cover a lot of distance. Child 1 likes a range of fast pistes and black runs. Child 2 likes to diddle around in powder and jumps. Husband and I just don't want to cover the whole resort by the end of Day 2 and end up skiing the same runs over and over.
- Decent mountain restaurants (I like food Laughing )

Nightlife is not important but I like a pretty resort. I prefer to be able to walk to the pistes, no bus journeys first thing or at the end of the day. We can get to more or less anywhere (I get airline discounts) but my preference would be to fly into somewhere with a lot of flights, e.g. Geneva, Munich, Zurich, Barcelona, etc.

Help me out! I can't decide.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easy, Portes du Soleil - Les Gets or Morzine. Fulfils every requirement including non ESF lessons. Large enough that crowds can be avoided even at half term
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Paradiski
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pandora, just as easy...Evasion Mont Blanc. Stay in Megeve, near one of the main gondolas, like Rochebrune. Or for less expensive access to the same ski area, St Gervais. Or maybe Combloux, if you want somewhere smaller.

Don't know what sort of accommodation you prefer. But if it's catered hotel then I know a place that would suit someone who loves their food and also ticks the ski instruction box wonderfully well.
It does, however, involve a few minutes walk or else a short bus ride to the mountains.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nozawa Onsen - Yup Japan. Yes long flights but no megga price hike for the other stuff just because it's half term, have a look into it should balance out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Been to the Paradiski area twice and 3 times to Portes de Soleil (which we really love but want to see somewhere different,) but not considered the Evasion Mont Blanc area before - not an area I know much about. I've had a quick Google and it looks great, so thanks PeakyB. A work colleague who lives in Chamonix also recommended Les Contamines. We'd be looking for self catered mainly due to budget (we managed 21 days of skiing this season for the price of a week in a chalet by virtue of choosing less popular resorts and self catering,) but happy for you to PM me your recommendation for me to present to Mr P Very Happy .

Japan would be awesome but if we were to go long haul I would have to fight my husband over it as he wants to go to the Rockies at some point and I keep putting him off as I like Alpine charm better than the slightly more Wild West feel across the pond.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for Evasion Mont Blanc - just come back from a weekend in Megève and we were impressed with quality of the food. The prices didn't seem too eyewatering either although bear in mind that our immediately previous trip was to Courchevel... The skiing was far, far better than we were expecting at the end of March and at some point I'd love to return earlier in the season.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Contamines is a great resort. Whether it constitutes a "large" ski area by your definition I'm not sure. Also not sure what the ESF alternatives are there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pandora,
We went to Ischgl with the children quite a lot over Feb holiday flying to Munich.
I am pretty sure they do half day ski school though for various reasons too long winded to go into we skied them over to Switzerland each morning for lessons.
It fits the rest of your criteria very well but can be pricey. We used to stay down the valley in Kappl with cheaper accommodation which would be more than a walk to the slopes, we used to drive the short distance each morning.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another tick for Evasion MB here, I know a lovely airbnb appartment that is close to Le Bettex lift which is reasonable that I have rented the last three years.
Although you'd need a hire car to get up to Les Contamines.
The other one is Grand Massif, stay in Samoens.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A couple of Austrian suggestions, though no idea about ski school times (no kids and a long time since I have been in ski school). Normally easy to find decent apartments for rent (lot bigger than the French ones, unless things have changed in the past 20 years) at reasonable prices just go to the tourist office website.

Serfaus / Fiss is little known in the UK but has a large ski area with lots of variety, it is mostly car free too. It does push its family friendly element but is not just a collection of a few runs through the trees above the village and no need for ski buses. Fairly easy to get there from Zürich, train to Landeck (stop after St Anton) and taxi or transfer from there. Doable from Munich too though in that case better by hire car.

Montafon (Schrunns, Gargallen etc) used to be popular with Brits but seems to have fallen out of fashion. The various ski areas are now linked though this is more typically Austrian, with villages in the valleys and perhaps a bit too much walking / buses for your tastes. It does cover a fair area especially as there are some nearby resorts also covered in the lift pass. Zürich is the nearest airport, reasonably easy with the train to Bludenz then transfer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lots to get me looking here, thanks!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pandora, Another vote for Evasion Mont Blanc, it gives you Megeve & Saint Gervais both nice historical towns & the full 445Km ski area which include Les Contimenes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ever been to Val d'Isere? Ticks ALLLLLLL your boxes (as long as you don't stay in La Daille).

Big, fast lift system and huge area handles half term pretty well.

You didn't request cheap!

Also Three Valleys is worth a look, there are just so many resorts and options there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds to me like somewhere on the Sella Ronda would do the job.

- Relatively quiet during UK half term
- Ski school tends to be a very civilised 10.00 - 12.45. Maybe a full day on the Friday so the group can explore.
- An enormous range of slopes to explore.
- very good mountain restaurants.

And while it isn't on your list, their friendly and helpful approach can make a real difference to your enjoyment of the holiday.
latest report
Agree with the above. Sella Ronda area knocks PDS into a cocked hat IMHO .
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
Ever been to Val d'Isere? Ticks ALLLLLLL your boxes (as long as you don't stay in La Daille).

Pretty has never been a word used when describing Val D'Isere other than when immediately followed by the word ugly.
snow conditions
I'd strongly suggest Zermatt, Switzerland.

- UK half term (pesky kids!)

Is a huge resort so never gets too crowded even at peak periods. And, as it's a very international place not everyone is on half term anyway.

- Ski school for half a day, so we can ski together the other half (I think this rules out quite a lot of Austria but prepared to be corrected.) The kids like being in a group with other kids, private lessons with only each other for company results in some epic battles! I won't use ESF after seeing them leaving kids behind on too many occasions.

Lots of ski schools - and you can do either morning or (my preference) afternoon only lessons. I strongly recommend afternoon by the way - avoids all the stress of getting kids out and ready for ski school at the busiest time of the day.

- Large ski area. We cover a lot of distance. Child 1 likes a range of fast pistes and black runs. Child 2 likes to diddle around in powder and jumps. Husband and I just don't want to cover the whole resort by the end of Day 2 and end up skiing the same runs over and over.

Absolutely vast ski area - and you can ski Cervinia too. Something for everyone (except beginners I'd say)

- Decent mountain restaurants (I like food Laughing )

Zermatt is absolutely the BEST for mountain dining - Michelin recommended restaurants on the pistes. Try; Findlerhof, Zum See, Blatten, Chez Vrony, Simy, Fluhalp in Zermatt and Bontadini and Foyer des Guides in Cervinia. Also, Rascard is a whole other experience - but is a long way to Valtournenche.

- Nightlife is not important but I like a pretty resort.

Check - very picturesque.

- Walk to lift

Depends where you stay. There are three ways up the mountain - and you don't have to use them again for the rest of the day since all the skiing is higher - so you need to pick accomodation near those lifts.

- Flights

You can fly into either Zurich or Geneva - transfer is roughly the same. Transfer direct by train to resort. Very comfortable.

So, being open and candid, downsides ...

1. Quite an expensive resort
2. Transfer is 3h20m from either of the two airports mentioned (but it's very easy and comfortable)
3. If you pick accomodation other than near Matterhorn or Sunnegga then you do need to walk or take a bus (free)
snow conditions
PS. Zermatt is also VERY high and has a glacier - so even if the season is poor there is always good skiing there.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:

Pretty has never been a word used when describing Val D'Isere other than when immediately followed by the word ugly.

I wouldn't say it was ugly. tignes ugly yes
snow report
T Bar wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:

The main centre of Val d'Isere is very attractive, and the old part of town with the little church is pretty! Not Swiss/Austrian chocolate box for sure, but it's very nice.

Tignes .. not so much.
snow report
Val Gardena. So much terrain to cover, very varied. Best food ever -- it's Italy after all.

Fly into Innsbruck or Milan or Venice. Easy drive. There are skibuses but if you pick your spot carefully you can walk to lifts.
snow report
@pandora, you didn't mention any Italian airports in your OP, so I put forward Evasion Mont Blanc, which is close to GVA.

But I agree with others that Sella Ronda based villages beat anything France has to offer, for the people and preferences you describe.
Arabba, Corvara would be my first choices for a base. Or near Canazei / Val di Fassa, which may be a little cheaper as a base, especially if you could find somewhere close walk to main gondola.
San Cassiano another decent option.

Flights into Venice Marco Polo best IMO. Maybe Innsbruck as 2nd choice. Lots of package options but often better to DIY, even if staying in hotel.
latest report
I can get to Italy too - I can go anywhere BA fly but travelling standby I tend to pick airports that have several flights a day as in the holidays it can take a couple of attempts to get us all out there! I’ve been to Selva before, I loved it there. We went when kids were toddler and baby age, and the locals couldn’t have been more helpful. That was where I developed a realisation that it’s mainly only France where you need a lift queue battle plan and strategies to prevent the kids from being trampled to death, which is weird because we find France so child friendly in the summer!

Any suggestions for best lifts to stay near if we want an easy walk to the slopes but also easy access to restaurants and supermarket (we’ll have a car with us, but don’t want to have to drive to the shops every day if we also want a post-ski beer!)
ski holidays
For Corvara you want to be staying near* the Boe Lift. That's where the ski school meets for lessons and gives you direct access to the Sella Ronda. They also have lockers under the ski school which avoids the need to carry your ski gear to and from your accommodation and makes everything so much more hassle free (* and means 'near' doesn't have to anywhere as close as it would otherwise be.)

I can't help on the other places but I'm sure others will pop in with the info soon.
ski holidays
@pandora, I guess you are crew. If you are in BAEC with lots of AVIOS then you can get cheap flights just now.

I'm booked for Feb next year already £85 business for four legs GLA-LGW-VCE-SKI-VCE-LGW-GLA

Having went to Corvara recently for a "night out" I was really impressed.
snow conditions
So much useful info on this thread- will also be reading up on mint Blanc area
What about les sybelles or somewhere in the Maurienne? I haven’t been but see this article. We’ve just had a week in Orelle thanks to this article -easy access to Val Thorens and the snow was the best over on Orelle side
latest report
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/8313096/Maurienne-Valley-refreshingly-affordable-skiing-in-France.html

Sorry this is the article
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pandora,
EMB has a few more reasonably priced towns/villages to stay in. Plenty self catering accommodation too.

For those features, I think St Gervais probably best all round. Combloux another good option.

Les Contamines is good but, unless something changed since I last went, not linked by lift to main EMB area. In fact, a quite long bus ride to link in.
Megeve a lovely town but not where I’d base myself with a family unless cost not an issue.

Bear in mind EMB would still be busy in Feb half term. More so than Dolomiti Superski area I think.

Given a straight choice I’d definitely go with Italy. Then I’d try to work out how to get a low season trip to EMB too! snowHead
snow conditions
@pandora, for Arabba, staying near Burz chairlift is good. There are newish apt’s, ski in/out, just up slope from that chairlift and about 10 mins walk to village centre. Also handy for the Arabba Fly chair, which sets you off in the opposite direction on the Sella Ronda and towards the wonderful Marmolada glacier.

For San Cassiano, Piz Sorega gondola is good to stay near. One advantage of San Cass is that it’s close to the famous day trip destinations of the spectacular Hidden Valley, Lagazuoi pass and Cinque Torre.
latest report
@pandora - you could try Colletts for Corvara/Alta Badia/Arabba (https://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/self-catering-ski-chalets-apartments/): they are an excellent company and we have now stayed twice with them in their catered accommodation.

Our daughter went into ski school in Corvara in half term 2017: it was all English speaking children in her group. They do half days Mon-Wed, then full days Thu and Fri. We arranged the ski school through Colletts, but could easily have done so ourselves.
ski holidays
This is all brilliant info - it’s sounding very much like Corvara or arrabba for my family trip and Megève for the girls weekend. You’ve sorted out both trips for me without me even asking about the girls trip!
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
Les Contamines is good but, unless something changed since I last went, not linked by lift to main EMB area. In fact, a quite long bus ride to link in.

It's not but then I wouldn't be looking to go anywhere else if I was staying in Les Contamines. For me it has enough in it's own right.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy