Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can we ski Green/Blue from Le Lac to Le Fornet

Poster: A snowHead
Good evening,

Probably our last family visit to Tignes over Easter so was hoping to spend a day trying to ski as far as we can.

We're staying in Le Lac and generally feel happier on green & blue runs. If we left at 9am could we get to the top of Montet, ski the blue run all the way down to Le Fornet and back (either ski or bus) to Le Lac

Also on the way, would anyone recommend a restaurant/bar to pop our heads into, we sat out on the hill in the sun watching the cabaret at Le Folie Douce and the kids loved it

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The answer is strictly no as Santons is now a red and will probably spend most of the next weeks closed due to avi risk.

But using the bus in Val its easy. Go up the Toviere and down Creux and Verte into La Daille. Then take the bus to either:
Val Centre: Solaise Bubble, Glacier Express, Leissieres (up and over) down to the Lac poma and up to the Glacier.
Laisinant: Up the Laisonant, down Arrolay (not repeat not Table D'Orientation) up the Gondola towards the Glacier.
Le Fornet: Up the Telepherique and the Gondola.

Coming home is a bit easier: ski back to the up and over, down to Datcha Lift, then ski to the magic carpets and download in the Solaise bubble - the red down can be a hard packed nightmare turning into a slushfest at this time of year. Up the Olympique and ski down Diebold to Tommeuses lift. Then ski down Henri to Val Claret - you can then get the bus home or do Tichot, Grattalu, Piste Lac, Grand Huit Chair and down whatever the run to Le Lac is called this year!

A toned down 'FD' can be found just at the bottom of the double magic carpet (Pim Poum) - the Ouilette - more chilled, fab food and a sunny terrace by the Frozen Lake - modelled on a beach club.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fantastic information, might need a bit of time to work it out but thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think you can ski there on greens and blues provided you download from Bellevarde in the Olympique? That's what we did in January to get from Le Lac to Solaise, and we didn't use any Reds (apart from ending up having to take Cyclyamen by accident on our last day with the light fading after taking the wrong chair...).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For food, the restaurant at the Fornet next to the cascade lift is extremely good value. Might even be called Cascades, can't remember, Same owners as Marmottes, same reasonable prices, and a big outdoor area with awesome views. No music though wink Then it's a ski to the up and over and follow the above. Piste L is marked as blue, but can be awesome or not depending on conditions. Big traverse with polling if you try to follow it back to Val village.

I'd be looking to download on the Solaise gondola also. Ouillette resto is lovely also, more costly, but a great sit out. BBQ food was the thing when I went.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mjh1972, I presume you mean the Val (Pisaillas) glacier, not the Grand Motte? There is a lovely blue from the Motte called Genepy but that ultimately gets you back to Val Claret ... as always @chocksaway has provided you with some great info / tips. I would say that the Verte may be a bit tricky at this time of year. Another fab restaurant is the Edelweiss on the sweeping blue Mangard from Signal down to Le Fornet ... no music there but you can always visit Cocorico in Val on your way back over to Tignes (if you were to download on Solaise). Enjoy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mjh1972, A few ways that you can do this from Le Lac (as Chocksaway and Trwoodward have pointed out). Probably the simplest way over to Fornet is from the top of Toviere ski down to Marmottes Express chair. Take this chair to the top of the Bellevarde area. Walk/slide around to the Olympic Gondola station and download in it to the centre of Val d'Isere. You will get a great view of the Face de Bellevarde piste and some idea of the length and steepness of it in places. Walk straight down the exit ramp to the Solaise gondola. Take that up Solaise then simply ski down to Glacier Express. Ski back down keeping this chair on your left to the Leissieres Up and over chair. Great for anyone who hasn't been over this ridge before. Then follow the limited options that get you up to the Fornet Glacier area.

Café in the top Solaise gondola station good for hot Chocolates ( and loos if req'd). Also Cascades Restaurant in Fornet for a very good value lunch. Coming back you should have plenty of time to retrace your steps. But you could ski all the way from Fornet down to the Signal restaurant and Fornet Gondola. You would have to carry some speed in places if you did this as there are some flatter areas and undulations. Fornet Gondola down. Catch the bus back to Val d' centre and back up in the Olympic or bus it all the way to La Daille along the valley. Cross the bridge at the Rosee Blanche (Rosies) and catch the La Daille gondola back up to the Folie D. Home via Tommuesses and which ever way you choose down to Le Lac.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Coming home is a bit easier: ski back to the up and over, down to Datcha Lift, then ski to the magic carpets and download in the Solaise bubble - the red down can be a hard packed nightmare turning into a slushfest at this time of year. Up the Olympique and ski down Diebold to Tommeuses lift. Then ski down Henri to Val Claret - you can then get the bus home or do Tichot, Grattalu, Piste Lac, Grand Huit Chair and down whatever the run to Le Lac is called this year!

+1 for route options described by @chocksaway, and @GeorgeVII,

The end bit back down into Tignes 2100 (Le Lac) from top of Grand Huit chairlift is, I think, called gentiane, then anemone pistes, both blue.

The restaurants others have mentioned are all good. If you found yourself in or near the main lift hub in Val D'Isere at lunchtime, or drinks break time, the Sun Bar terrace, right next to base of Solaises Gondola, is quite good. Especially as you can watch people tackling and often sweating down the Men's Olympic and World Cup downhill course, the Face de Bellevarde, while relaxing, eating and drinking. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for what chocksaway and GeorgeVII say
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chocksaway wrote:
and Verte into La Daille.

It's certainly green on the map but it doesn't feel in the least like greens elsewhere in EK. All the routes into La Daille, green, blue and red, cover similar ground of similar steepness.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quite a while since I have been to Val D'Isere. When I was last there, I thought that Verte was still a nasty trap for beginners. Quite steep, and all to often with a glassy surface - those with experience turned on the little tufts of powder; those without crashed into the rocky sides. May have changed, of course - but if it hasn't, I'd recommend that beginners avoid it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

and Verte into La Daille.

It's certainly green on the map but it doesn't feel in the least like greens elsewhere in EK.

Depends on conditions and how crowded it is. If snow not icy or hard-packed, plus not too crowded, then it's fine.
If icy and crowded, then quite challenging. eg the relatively narrow stretch approaching the short tunnel...along with the risk of a small crowd of people standing just outside the tunnel exit.

In virtually every other area I can think of it would be graded blue at least.
A pleasant ski on blue pistes to the summit of Bellevarde, then download into Val D centre in Olympique Gondola, would be my choice with beginners on tricky condition days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PeakyB wrote:
The end bit back down into Tignes 2100 (Le Lac) from top of Grand Huit chairlift is, I think, called gentiane, then anemone pistes, both blue.

Anemone got renamed Kadjar a couple of seasons ago, something to do with Renault sponsorship or some such. AFAIK it's still called that (didn't think to look when we were there last month) but who knows what fancy corporate deal might give it its next name. Anyone for a piste called MP4-12C? snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PeakyB wrote:

Depends on conditions and how crowded it (Verte) is. If snow not icy or hard-packed, plus not too crowded, then it's fine.

Yes although in my experience it is crowded much of the time. The run to La Daille that doesn't seem to get the crowds is Orange.
snow conditions
@dogwatch, that’s true and I’d always choose Orange over Verte for myself.

Orange has some sections that might be worryingly steep for relative beginners. Also tends to get heavy and chopped up on the bottom section towards the Funival station. Not to mention often icy just after passing by Folie Douce. A well deserved red rating.

It is fairly wide and usually uncrowded though. You pays your money, you takes your choice!
snow conditions

Triffollet lunch
I feel I should defend my home runs. It is all about timing and all about the weather.

The time when most people do the runs in La Daille is either when the weather is bad or when it's chucking out time at the Folie. Both make it all runs busy, chopped up and if you are coming down at 5pm, potentially lethal. The trees at La Daille make it a mecca for people desperate to get some runs in when the viz is bad. If it's snowing or if it's spring temps, all of the additional traffic will make it chopped up. In this case, by far the best option is Stade. People don't know it's there unless they know the area well.

The rest of the time, they are a gem, always perfectly pisted and normally incredibly quiet. They can be steeper than average in places, but are also normally wider at the same time.

This photo was taken at 2.30pm last week. In the centre is the Blue, on the right is the Green. Stade is behind this restaurant.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy