Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

...now-closed hotels which once were great...

Poster: A snowHead
Right...I start with the Cime Bianchi in Courmeyeur. Great little hotel - daughter with more ski trophies than a trophy shop.

This site suggests it is open ... but when I last drove past, was well and truly shut...

http://www.italytour.it/strutture/pag.php?id_stru=2436#

And also in Courmeyeur the Hotel Touristica - warm fug, huge plates of pasta, did a cake for a birthday at two minutes' notice - wonderful hosts and owners. No trace on the internet.

Any others you know of?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 30-03-18 3:02; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Grand Paradis in Val D'Isere.

I never stayed there, but had many a lunch sitting out on the balcony....and during Race Week, some of the skiers could be seen staying there

I think there is another hotel there now, but it's not the same.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hotel Eiger in Wengen - now converted to apartments. Ditto the Hotel Schweizerheim, and doubtless more to come.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski Olympic's Les Avals had a great holiday their once a long time ago
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hotel Eden in Arosa. Great value, smart hotel, fantastic Thursday night live band parties and the Kitchen Club in the basement.

Now converted into swanky apartments that cost both arms and most of both legs! Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've passed the derelict Belvadere Hotel halfway up the Furka pass several times in summer and wondered what it was like in its day. Bond/Goldfinger drive past it in the alpine driving bit of Goldfinger.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hotel Favre in Champoluc. Such a waste. First thing you see as you drive in.

Mountain mentality at its finest.

MInd you, it was never "great" but at least it was open and had a bar that was easy to direct folks to.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 29-03-18 11:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also the Palace in Mürren.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and not too far from you @under a new name, the sad loss of Rifugio Guglielmina high up in Alagna Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Le Totem in Flaine, tired and in need of updating when it closed, but always good value for holiday with kids using the in house kids club with Crystal, and right on the slopes, did 7 years consecutively there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Le Totem in Flaine

@geoffknight - Totem is still there (or rather reopened well over 2 year ago) and is going strong. Excellent buffet and the 80's video games in the bar area (all gratuit) are a nice touch.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Double Bombardino, ah, yes, indeed, many a fine New Year’s eve spent there Crying or Very sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dahu in Courchevel 1850. For many years operated by Mark Warner. Not luxurious, especially towards the end, but an almost unrivalled position in one of the costliest mountain towns in Europe, if not the world. Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stevew, +1 for Les Avals
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geoffknight wrote:
Le Totem in Flaine, tired and in need of updating when it closed, but always good value for holiday with kids using the in house kids club with Crystal, and right on the slopes, did 7 years consecutively there.

We stayed at the refurbished Totem 2 weeks ago - it's now a superb hotel, great bar with floor to ceiling windows, arcade games and lovely food. Highly recommended.
snow conditions
The totem was good with excellent food. We had a tiny room that was so small we had to keep the pushchair in the bathroom and had tip the cot on it's side to get in the wardrobe. We didn't care as it was so exciting to be skiing post baby (and post ACL reconstruction for me!). We managed to get double wine, as we had starter and wine while we fed the little one and then main course and more wine when he was in sleep club!
latest report
Not wanting to be rude about the current setup but I really liked the Rhodos in Morzine in its prior incarnation of 50s decor, carpeted walls, cheap as chips rooms, always available for weekends even in Vacances
snow conditions
@under a new name, some interesting ones here - recognize any?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=derelict+alpine+hotels&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiF9uHM_5HaAhWDOsAKHRvwADQQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=907
snow report
@Double Bombardino, +1
latest report
geoffknight wrote:

Oh is that closed now? I stayed there a couple of times with Crystal. Bizarre decor but great hotel with lovely food.

EDIT: oh just seen it's still open.

I've stayed at the Dahu in Courchevel many times, such a shame it closed as it made staying in 1850 affordable. Tiniest boot room ever though.
latest report
@HoneyBunny, I'm sure it's quite different now to its Crystal days, both in appearance and price !
latest report

The Busca Thedy in Gressoney-la-Trinite must have been awesome in its prime.
snow report
Hotel Chanrossa, Courchevel 1550, or Village, as it’s been rebranded.
Just around corner from base of gondola that takes you straight up to Croisette in 1850.
Looked closed when I tried to pop in to check it out a couple of weeks ago.
Another good value base for 3V. For many years operated by Ski Olympic but not for quite a while.
Any news on future anyone?
ski holidays
Also in Flaine, the Hotel les Lindars where we stayed for our very first ski holiday. Full-board, wine and beer included with meals,inclusive childcare for our children, all important when we are all beginners, so we could get off to lessons without a fuss.
Lovely bar to relax in the evenings and beautiful French food We loved it so much we went back again the following year, by which time it had been bought by Club Med, and became even better. I think it is now a UCPA.
latest report
About to be lost to the UK ski tour industry:- Cristallo in Courmayeur last week now. Morris Hotel in Val D'Isere. Closing at the end of the season
ski holidays
Indeed. My thread on the Moris closing prompted this one!
snow report
We stayed in Le Totem in Flaine before it was Crystal. The food was excellent but very "nouvelle cuisine" and the men in our group kept demanding more and more bread baskets to fill them up! Halfway through the week they gave up and bought food to fill up with before their dinner was served Laughing .
snow conditions
@maggi, Laughing Laughing . none of that needed in Les Lindars or Club Med, where good hearty portions were served, with 4 courses, buffet tables, and a wine tap.
Best of all, according to son no 1 was the ice cream station, where you could get one and then join the back of the queue to get your second while you were eating the first.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, Laughing . Never stayed at Club Med. Suspect I would be the size of a house by the end of the week Shocked .
ski holidays
The Spittal of Glenshee. Always an interesting stay. Rooms of "character". Some amazing deals. Terrible loss.
snow conditions
barbossine wrote:
The Spittal of Glenshee. Always an interesting stay. Rooms of "character". Some amazing deals. Terrible loss.

If you consider a mouldy damp smell in the room "character" wink Laughing

It went downhill in the last few years imv when the ownership changed, but agree it was a loss when it burnt down.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, yes indeed that was the "character" to which I was referring. Some incredible joinery was also on display in the last couple of years before the fire. A great base nonetheless. Very Happy
latest report
@telford_mike, Hotels in Wengen that have Been converted to appartments

Bristol
Shweizerhof
Schweizerheim
Eden
Eiger
Hirschen (used to have really great food)
Not sure how long the Brunner will last
Silberhorn has partially converted roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of it rooms to appartments
Alpenruhe Kulm is I think still up for sale
And years ago the Kreuz was burnt down in an insurance Fraud and is now the site of more apartments ,that also had incredibly good food Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy