Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why are ski designs (topsheet graphics) so boring in contrast to snowboard designs?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey there,
On my last trip I realised that almost all skis look the same. The topsheet design usually only shows brand, type and size of the skis in big letters, surrounded by a few lines or squares or similar pattern, using only three colours of variable brightness.
To me they looked very technical and boring. Toofy Grin I only saw one woman who had skis with a floral pattern for a change. I often read here that skis are mixed up with stranger’s skis, I can imagine why.

In contrast to this, snowboards all look very different. There are all sorts of designs, colourful and less colourful, big patterns and small patterns, topsheet design, base design etc. I’ve never seen my snowboard anywhere else, just once there was a girl with the same board but a size smaller, so the colours were inverse and it still looked different.

I even know someone who bought their snowboard just because of the looks. I personally wouldn’t do that, but only get it if I liked the technical features (camber etc.) and the way it rides too.
Then again, I wouldn’t buy a snowboard if I really hated its designs. For example as a beginner I once had a hire board with a skull on it. I liked the riding, but I’d never ever buy it. Even with stickers all over it I’d knew there is a (in my opinion) ugly skull underneath. I like to enjoy looking at my snowboard.

So I wonder why ski design is so different from board design? There is less space on the ski sheets than on a board but still enough room to be creative. Is there no demand for fancy skis? Or would skiers buy a more creative ski design if there was more on the market?
How important is the design/graphics for you when you buy? Do you think it is more important to snowboarders than skiers?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Simony, Perhaps it is that skiers care more about function and less about styling than boarders. I have never met a skier who gave a thought to how their skis looked. They were entirely concerned with how they performed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe because skiers are looking where they are going? Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used to have these, I didn't think they were boring https://goo.gl/images/SJKXaC
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll put up with ok, boring graphics, but I wouldn't touch some of the overly floral or predictably pink women's models. I tested a pair from DPS a few weeks ago – great skis, mostly yellow, but pink down the tips to mark them out for the girls. No thanks.

There are some fantastic ski graphics out there – my friend has a pair covered in intricate illustrations, though I can't remember what model they are, but I agree, a lot are inoffensively dull. I don't think the mixed up ski problem is helped by rental shops largely handing out skinnyish piste skis which tend to be at the generic end of the graphics spectrum, and in such large numbers. A group of four of us once hired from the same shop, and just got given the same ski in slightly different lengths, so it's no wonder they get mixed up.

Here are some of my favourites:
Nordica Santa Ana https://www.nordicausa.com/womens/skis/all-mountain/santa-ana/
Black Crows Captis Birdie
Volkl Bash https://www.voelkl.com/de/produkte/skis/freestyle/bash-116/

The trend of the moment seems to be "colour block", which doesn't always lend itself to interesting designs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And just what is wrong with some nice colours?

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Feminists, after the Rossi Scratch BC controversy they like to be conservative

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=22278
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd agree about the hire skis being dull, I guess it's also to do with them having to look in reasonably good condition for the season or two they're being rented out. The glossy topsheets on mine do show the bumps and scratches up more than the textured topsheets on others I've had.

Of the five pairs of skis I've owned only the Down Countdown 2s I had could be described as dull to look at, of the others I've seen one other pair of my Scott Scrappers in the four years I've had them and only a few pairs of Dynastar Chams 87 and 97 as hire jobs in 6 seasons.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are plenty of great ski designs - I especially like those where you have to put both boards together to see the whole image. Otherwise, a more constricted aspect ratio is obviously limiting.

Most skiers I meet are about as concerned how their skis look as most snowboarders. Skiers are at least as fashion conscious as anyone else.

Skiing has the "racing is cool" thing still, where as snowboarding never had that, so there is a relative lack of race-oriented snowboard gear. That said, race boards are generally just black or white, with sintered (black) bases.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You're probably somewhere with lots of boring skiers. I've met people with ski graphics like the ON3P Pillow Fight and Grizlycorn, the Killer clown K2 Hellbent and back in the day there were more Uzis, skeletons and helis than you could shake a stick at.

To be fair though rental ski graphics are pretty mundane and the the graphic design effort puts the um in tedium.

Problem is skiers are actually quite a conservative population and apparently there were people put off Head's range of Motorhead skis etc by graphic alone
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The "Race Replica" designs are okay, but they make it really difficult to work out what ski to buy. Atomic seem to do at least half a dozen Redsters that look similar but are all meant to be different skis. Head WC Rebels are the same. If the manufacturers want to sell skis it'd really help if they explained their ranges more clearly.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mrs T bar has never forgiven me for buying these.
https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/icelantic-pilgrim-2009
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Skiers are at least as fashion conscious as anyone else.

But no where near as fashion conscious as boarders.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got Hieronymus Bosch artwork on my skis wink

But you're right, the whole wannabe racer look-a-like thing everyone slaps on their piste skis should have been abandoned a decade ago. That's probably the single biggest thing manufacturers could do to make piste skiing/skis 'cool' again.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
T Bar wrote:

I don't blame her, that state is creepy as hell. Everything I've read about Icelantic has been good but theres something about the topsheets that I just don't like.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Problem is skiers are actually quite a conservative population

This. I know loads of professional people who ski (doctors/dentists/lawyers/architects etc). Most are pretty conservative and wouldn't be seen dead on an outlandish pair of skis. Or on a board for that matter.......

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 26-03-18 19:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I don't really care about graphics but maybe it's something to do with snowboards providing a larger canvas for interesting stuff.
ski holidays
@johnE, But a nice design and good performing skis are not mutually exclusive? A good ski should perform the same whether it has a topsheet with pink hearts (not sure though if I’d call this a nice design wink ) or with a traditional style. Apart maybe from the psychological factor that people wouldn’t trust skis with pink hearts on it and thus ski worse.

@chocksaway, hehe. I‘ll tell you the secret reason why snowboarders always sit down at the side of the piste, we like to show off the fancy design of our board base. wink

@Hells Bells, @Scarlet, @under a new name, So there are some skis out there with a fancy design!

@davidof, Unfortunately the link in the old thread doesn‘t work anymore, I‘m curious now what the graphics looked like! If they stopped producing it, maybe they are rare and of value now.

@springbok45, True, there were plenty of hire skis. But the other ones didn‘t look any better. I agree with you on the glossy topsheet, my board has one too.

@philwig, Something like this? https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0371/0373/products/Medora_105_Ski_Picture_1200x.jpg?v=1496774329 Two skis combined for the image is a cool design idea!
You are right, I‘d associate a ski/board with a technical pattern more with racing and performing, but a colourful pattern more with fun (even do racing could be fun too I guess)

@Dave of the Marmottes, It was in the Dolomites, I‘ll watch out if this is any different in any other resorts. I‘d be put off by skulls and skeletons too by the way Very Happy So as others are put off by pink Very Happy

@Valkyrie, That‘s what I meant, they all look the same.

@T Bar, Hehe, at least they are not boring! Very Happy

@johnE, There are many fashion-conscious skiers out there too, maybe they show it more with their clothes than with their skis?

@clarky999, I‘d love to see a picture of that wink

@springbok45, I just looked at the Icelantic women skis and don‘t find them too bad, they are different at least.

@JoyZipper, Hmm, I‘m trying to think of the people I know to see if there is a pattern. Not for all

@Kelskii, That‘s what I thought too at first, but there is still enough space for a nice pattern or at least some cooler colours.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
I've got Hieronymus Bosch artwork on my skis wink

Those are what I meant, though I can’t find a picture.

@Simony, skiers in the Dolomites are not known for their outlandish ski choices, them mostly being on short, skinny piste skis with race-style graphics. The looks I got on the lift when I rocked up with a fat pair of Whitedots, half a foot taller than me... rolling eyes Cool

Head to Cham or somewhere like Nordkette for more inspiration.
ski holidays
@Simony, @Scarlet, the skis in question: http://www.downskis.com/shop/throwdown-125-2016
latest report
My skis are far from dull. They are these:
http://www.guide2skihire.com/movement_gloss.html
snow report
I'll miss my current pair when I replace them:
Nordica Soul Rider

Does mean I have to think about which ski goes on which foot, for maximum effect. The flip side is when you damage an edge, it's easier to know which ski is which and keep it on the outside.
ski holidays
@mgrolf, one of my pairs has L/R graphics. When I skied with the guy who designed them, it seemed to really wind him up when I put them on the wrong feet wink
snow conditions
@clarky999, your gf was on some quite funky ones too the other day, what are they?
ski holidays
I liked the beach graphics on old Line Sick Day 102 https://theskimonster.com/products/line-sick-day-102-2016/
ski holidays
@Scarlet, they were Moment Bellas. Actually my old Moment Bibby Pros have pretty rad graphics too.
snow report
T Bar wrote:

The Joan of Arc Pilgrim graphic is tame compared to the same era graphic on my Shamans. Spock eared Shaman holding a dragon by the tail with a gratuitous jungle frog on the tails- what's not to like?

http://icelanticskis.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Icelantic-08-09-lineup-242x300.jpg
latest report
@clarky999, nice, though I think some of the old stuff is better than their current offering, which I find a bit dark and not entirely dissimilar to the old Icelantic models.

@Dave of the Marmottes, dragons, there should definitely be more dragons.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oooooh I'd LOVE skis with dragons on... Very Happy

Ski top sheets don't have to be boring:

I do think they're a bit less funky these days though, I used to love the design on the old Rossi S7s, stunning:

latest report
@HoneyBunny, those are cool! Yeah, a few years ago there was more use of illustration I think. I seem to remember some Kenjas had quite a nice look too.

When I was looking for those examples, many of the alternatives were very boring compared to previous years. For example, I have a pair of Atomic Storms which have very bright, geometric graphics, although no fancy illustration. They have now been replaced in the range by the Vantage series, which is hardly any more interesting than the race-like models.
snow report
@clarky999, Superb!!
snow report
As snowboarder, I dont actually like the topsheets showing off my board.
I get quite paranoid about it & as its easy to learn what is an expensive board from a cheap board - so easy for a Thief to know what is board is more valuable than another.
Show me some ski's that look the same, then I would not have a clue which are the expensive pair.
ski holidays
These were the prettiest skis mind you I had cherry red Look ZRs in them...

snow report
I do have quite a nice snowboard and rhe topsheet is about as exciting (and brown as) a wholemeal loaf. Rides nice though.
latest report
Mine aren't too bad

ski holidays
Actually the piste skis are okay too.

ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
Mine aren't too bad

Value seems to be depreciated by the little red sticker in front of the toe binding wink
ski holidays
@clarky999, I bought the Throwdown 89 this winter (but 2016 model)with similar artwork and they are just fab! With pink bases as a bonus! Plus they are a great ski.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
what's not to like?

Quite a lot according to Mrs T Bar
latest report
Ski Logik, now sadly gone under (although in some way makes me smile knowing mine are now no longer in production!)

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy