Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Light weight Alpine bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm looking to buy some light weight, Alpine bindings to fit on a pair of K2 Pinnacle 95s. I weigh about 73 Kg. I have been reviewing the Marker Squire 11 ID 110s but have read some reports of failures and that they can be difficult to step into in powder. I've also come across the Look Xpress 11, which are billed as being 700 g lighter than traditional alpine bindings at 700 g each. However, I can't find any adverts for the mounting plates, so wondered if they are only supplied as a factory fitted option, and haven't been able to locate any reviews. They also appear to have a maximum break width of 83 mm. I should be most grateful for any comments and/or recommendations.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mike S, why do you need light bindings?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mike S, I have the Griffon 13’s which are the big brother of the Squires (and also “feel” pretty light - without having checked the specs). Suspect the Squires will be fine at your weight unless you are skiing very hard on them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Themasterpiece I've been doing some off-piste skiing and have often found that I've had to climb with skis on my shoulder or strapped to my back pack, so was trying to keep the weight down. I appreciate that the Pinnacles aren't very light but felt that they might be a good 'one quiver' ski for the type of skiing that I do. I don't think that I'm likely to be doing any serious touring and don't have pin tech inserts on my boots.

@BobinCH I've already got Griffon 13 Demo bindings on one of my other pairs of skis. I've been very happy with them. However, the Griffons are shown as being 1012 g each v 774 g for the Squires. See https://www.evo.com/guides/alpine-and-backcountry-ski-binding-weights#2018 , FYI.

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 29-04-18 8:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have Squires and one failed. The first binding that’s ever broken under me in quite a lot of skiing.

Not saying that’s a problem...

But if you’re doing a lot of boot packing maybe you should be on a quasi touring rig?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a pair of Squires, used with touring boots on a pair of Coombaks to facilitate boot packing. If you can afford it, and have the boots to fit, I'd go for a set of Tech (Dynafit) bindings as these will be even lighter -- and allow you to use skins should the temptation take you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What about Salomon/Atomic Shifts? Light for alpine bindings with the potential for some touring should you decide to explore that avenue.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for your further replies. I had rejected the idea of a touring set up, as I don't have pin inserts on my boots and other available options seemed a bit heavy. I had read about the Salomon Shifts but hadn't appreciated, until prompted to investigate further by @Andybag 's suggestion, that they only weigh 1.75 Kg a pair. The only draw back is that it looks as though they are going to be a bit pricey - they have a price indicator of $US 650. I now notice that there appear to be two versions of the Squire - a standard version and an ID version. If I am only going to be using Alpine boots, is there any advantage in going to the ID version?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mike S, If you plan to stay with your alpine boots forever -- then no. But, if you are starting to ski off piste a lot, and don't mind walking, then ski touring boots are probably somewhere in your future. Also I don't think Marker sells two versions of the Squire -- so you'll likely only find the ID version.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
At your weight Squires sound ideal as they are super light. Much of the negative feedback is from heavier skiers and, with so much plastic involved they have their limits.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski wrote:
@Mike S, If you plan to stay with your alpine boots forever -- then no. But, if you are starting to ski off piste a lot, and don't mind walking, then ski touring boots are probably somewhere in your future. Also I don't think Marker sells two versions of the Squire -- so you'll likely only find the ID version.

Also grip-walk may be the way boot soles go (maybe not, but they seem like a good idea), in which case having a bit of height adjustment is a good thing even if you never get full on touring boots (do full on touring soles actually work properly in this binding?).
Squires are light, but to be honest I would get the new upcoming look pivots (also will be grip walk compatible), as I prefer them to ski on to Marker bindings, and they are not exactly heavyweights if you go for the 14 DIN version.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

(do full on touring soles actually work properly in this binding?).

According to Marker --- yes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've skied a lot in the squires, and at 75kg I'm pretty similar to you. Whilst I try to look after gear I am quite pushy on what I make it do. No problems so far. And as for being difficult to step into in powder I can honestly and professionally say they don't know hat they are talking about - I guide cat skiing!

As for what a binding will take, any binding rated at 11 will take din 11 all day or it would not be sold! Yes a metal binding will take more abuse, but if you are breaking a binding you are probably going to be broken yourself in the same crash!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the additional input. I have now gone ahead and ordered a pair of the Squire 11 IDs from Snowlab, who had them at £116.99 with free delivery https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marker-Squire-11-ID-2018-Ski-Bindings-Black-110mm-/332427877667?hash=item4d663edd23. FYI, I could have got the 2017, non ID version, for £89. I look forward to trying them out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy