Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skibag instead of Checked Bag on Ryanair

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My son is going on a 4 day training camp to the Alpincenter Hamburg-Wittenburg. He'll fly EDI-HAM on Ryanair. While looking to book his flights I can see that Ryanair offer a number of different fare categories. The 'Plus' fare looks to be good value and gives a number of benefits. However, it includes a checked bag and he is likely to only need a skibag and a piece of hand luggage. The cost of a skibag on the basic fare is £90 return Shocked Mad so I'm wondering if Ryanair pay close attention to what is being checked in and whether i can get away with booking him a 'Plus' fare.

Ordinarily I know I'd get away with this at EDI as I'd simply use the Self Service check-in desks and then take the bag to the Outside drop-off. However, due to the way Ryanair handle U16s travelling in a group he'll need to check-in at the airport with the Adult his booking is attached to and it is highly likley they will spot my plan.

I then had another thought; what if I couriered his skis and kit over? Having just sent skis to France with DPD for a small amount of cash I thought I have a look at that option. The quote I've received makes me think the couple of glasses of wine I've drunk are making me see things:-

Firstly I input the dimensions of his bag:-

And then I get a price:-

It almost seems too good to be true but it is very tempting and could make a 10 year old's journey much simpler! Obviously I'd need to confirm with Alpincenter that they are happy to take delivery and keep it safe until his arrival.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 21-03-18 22:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gaza, can't help on the shipping front (it does seem very cheap to me). But I doubt you'd get away with the luggage on Ryanair. Airlines where you can do this (BA, KLM etc) usually state this in their t&cs.
Is it worth the risk of them refusing at check in? They'd probably want more than £90 at that point, if they'll even accept them, and then you have a distressed son plus a whole load of stress for you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I flew Ryanair in February. All I had was a very large ski holdall; which also contained all my clothes and a cabin bag containing my ski boots.

I was initially debating buying the "Plus" ticket which allows you to take one hold bag of 20Kg. In addition they wanted £80 for a ski bag. As I was not taking a hold bag, only a ski bag, I rang them to see if the ski bag could be considered as the "hold bag". The answer was a categorical NO. So I bought the cheapest basic ticket which does not allow you take a hold bag and then paid the extra for my ski holdall. I then decided to also pay extra for "priority boarding". They'll get you whichever way try and do it.

One thing to bear in mind is that a ski boot bag where the boots sit side by side will be too wide to go through their measuring frame and will not be allowed to be taken on as cabin baggage. It will be put in the hold. So I bought this boot bag - http://www.snowfit.co.uk/rossignol-hero-dual-boot-bag.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6JTjm8r_2QIVzZPtCh1uJwZOEAQYASABEgK89PD_BwE . This meets Ryanair's cabin bag measurement criteria.

Hope this helps
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gaza, I think the quote is correct, it will be a bit more when you add more insurance and VAT on. I think the length limit on DPD is more than some of the other firms, I think it is 175cm and if you try a quote for same weight etc. but length over 175 it will go up a lot. We have stuff from germany / france regularly on DPD and never had much problem, tracking system is very good.Sounds a good solution for you.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That DPD number seems remarkable. We use them here and would expect it to be more like £45 or more.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AndAnotherThing.., No it is pretty much around the £15 whether you do it through p2go or interparcel. Unless you send lots of parcels and have a deal set up then the likes of p2go are nearly always cheaper than going direct in my experience.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AndAnotherThing.., same, I got at least £50 everywhere, including Interparcel. DPD, FedEx, UPS, DHL, Mailboxes, TNT, Eurosender
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@moseyp,
Just try it on p2go, it comes out exactly as the op showed. Like this :-

Results: United Kingdom Germany | 20 KG | 160 x 30 x 30 CM
Express (1-3 Day Delivery)
DPD
DPD Express Classic
Collection tomorrow if you book in the next 18 hours
Including £50 protection More info
£13.85 exc VAT
£16.62 inc VAT
Don't need protection?
£13.35 exc VAT
£16.02 inc VAT
Collection Service
Printer Required
More
Info
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thnaks @Awdbugga, very helpful.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skitow, That's sort of annoying as we do send a lot of (uk) parcels and do have a deal...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@skitow, That's sort of annoying as we do send a lot of (uk) parcels and do have a deal...

We used to have an account with Interlink (which I think got absorbed into DPD) until we discovered it was generally cheaper for us using the likes of p2go.

But back to the OP, I think the problem will be that getting the same sort of deal for the return trip will not be possible. From my, admittedly limited, experience the cost from Germany to here will be much more like £50+.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy