Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hire - Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody used this place to hire skis in Val Thorens?

Maverick
Immeuble Montana Soleil, rue du Soleil, 73440 Val Thorens
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could possibly consider chilling and trust in dadmin to provide a good convenient ski hire deal. Admittedly his somewhat relaxed timetable doesn't always mesh with uber- organised people but I don't think anyone has actually been let down in years of sH bashes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
You could possibly consider chilling and trust in dadmin to provide a good convenient ski hire deal. Admittedly his somewhat relaxed timetable doesn't always mesh with uber- organised people but I don't think anyone has actually been let down in years of sH bashes.

This is my backup plan ... my concern is that he hasn’t actually said he will definitely be sorting something (them I would relaxed), I have had other snowHeads saying they are “sure he will” and yes there is a button saying ski hire / lift pass upgrade TBC.

I like to have plans in place in case things go wrong.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ, there's a ski hire place in the HduK itself and that's where I'm headed, whether or not @admin cuts a deal, for sheer convenience.

And I've every faith that @admin will sort it once he has finished playing in the powder at La Grave!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ,

Alpinresorts are offering up to 60% off rentals in France, using the discount code news133. Our friends used it last weekend and managed to get 55% off Val T equipment rental. They booked with Ski Republic, next door to the Shamrock pub, although there are a few alternatives listed for Val Thorens.

It's a time-limited offer so you may wish to check timescales.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 15-03-18 13:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bergmeister, which is where I found the above ski shop through. They look on the map to be the closest place you can book through AlpinResorts to where we are staying.

I can’t find any reviews for them, and hence wondering if anybody had booked with them and whether they had a positive experience or not.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bergmeister wrote:
@NickyJ,

Alpinresorts are offering up to 60% off rentals in France, using the discount code news133. Our friends used it last weekend and managed to get 55% off Val T equipment rental. They booked with Ski Republic, next door to the Shamrock pub, although there are a few alternatives listed for Val Thorens.

It's a time-limited offer so you may wish to check timescales.

That code appears to give identical discount to the Snowheads discount code SNOWBALL, but without the benefit of Snowheads getting any money rolling eyes

NickyJ, I don't think you need to panic. They'll be plenty of skis in Val Thorens for everyone.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seriously I am not panicking- I am doing the normal research that I would do ahead of any ski holiday. You will find other posts asking about other ski hire places in relation to where I am staying going back for quite a number of years.

When I book a package holiday - I discovered a while back that it was significantly more cost effective to book independently and advantageous that you avoid the scrum of being taken to the hire place by the TO.

Obviously I am not going on a package holiday but still don’t see why I shouldn’t do the same normal research?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ,

We hired there ourselves last year (on a weekend trip) and a couple of friends hired for a week. No complaints and friendly, helpful service.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bergmeister, many thanks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NickyJ, That shop beside theShamrock pub is Chamois sports. I have hired for the family there for a few years and always got excellent gear and good service. If you can get it with a discount with alpine that is the place to go. The owner is a rugby fan and we once met Australia rugby player James O Connor there mid season on his way to the collection douce mid season.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GarryC, is that this place?

Ski Republic Chamois Sport
Résidence Le Chamois d'Or, Rue du Soleil, 73440 Val Thorens

They are available through AlpinResorts for a good price. Looks like a longer walk from Hameau du Kashmir, presume it isn’t that far? I don’t have any sense of scale.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can give Chamois Sport a positive nod as well. Having stayed in the Chamois d'Or a couple of times (not pretty, but great for ski in/ski out) I've used Chamois Sport each time and there's always been friendly service and quality gear!

I may well tap them up myself for the EoSB and see what kind of deal I can strike myself! It's a 500m hike back up to Hameau Du Kashmir, but a refreshing pint of Guinness in the Shamrock might take the edge off that!!

Saying that, they'd have to strike me some deal to make it worth carrying skis that far. Have you got any take on what that walk is worth to you? I'd pay an extra €30 in a flash if it meant a ski shop in the same hotel!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ, "The shop will be closed after the Monday, April 16, 2018. Please choose a another period" (Chamois d'Or... worth checking)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@letsgetpiste, based on published prices I have seen the difference for my parents and my children’s skis is more like £120....

Though as pointed out apparently buttons will appear and a deal could be had. My personal deadline is 2nd April before I commit to a booking.

Thanks for the distance that is good to know. Maverick looks to be approx half that so let’s say 300m?
snow conditions
letsgetpiste wrote:
@NickyJ, "The shop will be closed after the Monday, April 16, 2018. Please choose a another period" (Chamois d'Or... worth checking)

That’s OK I need it from 7th - 13th
ski holidays
@NickyJ, Thats the place. The 500m is not a big deal as HdK is ski in ski out as is the shop, so you are only there at the start and end, and any gear adjustments. If you have kids they will comp them toboggons for the hill beside.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
Maverick looks to be approx half that so let’s say 300m?

From what I can remember, once you drop down on Rue Del Soleil, its as much as a walk from anywhere to get back to the Hameau.

The interactive map might be a bit of a help.

Interactive Map

Rental Shops reasonably on the right side of resort... (there's a few in the shopping centre as well I'm sure.

Chamois Sport
Eskiador Sport 2000
Goitschel Sport 3
Goitschel Sport 4
GoSport Maverick
Intersport Le Cheval Blanc
Oxalys
Prosneige MMV Arroles
SkiLoc 2300
snow report
I still remember our rookie error on our first family ski holiday in La Plagne. We were right at the top of 1800 in some self-catering P&V apartments. Crystal's allotted ski shop was about halfway down through the town, steep hill, several hundred yards distant.

We had three children at the time, two skiing (relatively new, so no carrying skis skills) and one two year old in a pushchair. We were renting everything, so it was not pretty. Especially when we knew we had to do it all in reverse at the end of the holiday.

Only one of our party (the four year old) will need skis for the SFaB due to us driving, so we're in no panic for once!
snow conditions
@sparklies, we made a similar mistake with Crystal, but in Belle Plagne. Several flights of stairs, and broken lifts weren't helpful. I also fell on ice just outside the ski room door. If you can hire at HdK I would do so.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, we're going back to Arc1950 again this year, again with Erna Low after they were so good last year! Having everything all in one place is priceless! I think particularly as you tend to be picking up skis on the first day when you're not acclimatised to the altitude (and probably not as fit as at the end of the holiday) it's even harder than you are expecting.

I absolutely loathe carrying skis!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy