Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help shipping skis please

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know how much a pair of skis will weigh after they've been packaged up? Assuming they weight 2kg w bindings (not more than 3kg) does anyone how much heavier they get with some bubblewrap? Also, how do you transport them - I assume not in a box, so what just bubblewrap and brown paper?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One pair of skis 7 kgs approx.

A ski bag with some extra bubble and fragile tape should suffice.

Wrap it up like a mummy and take a roll of tape with you for the return trip
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If your selling them on and just want to ship them the ignore the last part of ^^^ and just bubble wrap and fragile tape

http://www.soundswholesale.com/ for supplies are good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
7kg yikes, they really increase in weight! Don't have a ski bag so would have to be without

Thanks @hedley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on the length and girth of the skis though.

I would allow at least 6kgs a pair, just get your luggage scales out. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Obviously depends on skis, but easily more than 3kg for a pair of skis with bindings. Think my 171cm Rossignols added 6kg inc. bindings when I added them to my other ski luggage.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skis ended up being 4.2kg when packaged up, but courier charges still ranged from €50-€200. Other things I learned - courier companies are really difficult to get answers from, it's like they don't want the business. Also;

TNT wouldn't take them if they weren't in a box
Interparcel are the absolute worst
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moseyp wrote:
Skis ended up being 4.2kg when packaged up, but courier charges still ranged from €50-€200. Other things I learned - courier companies are really difficult to get answers from, it's like they don't want the business. Also;

TNT wouldn't take them if they weren't in a box
Interparcel are the absolute worst

What's wrong with Interparcel? Where are you shipping from and to? Just used UPS via Interparcel and it was all very easy.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paisley Freight - https://www.paisleyfreight.com £18.99 all in
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What postcode did you use to get a quote @OTS? It didn’t recognize mine

@galpinos, Interparcel seemed like the best deal until they added a £15 charge on at the end after quoting something different (which I had agreed with the buyer)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use these guys: https://www.parcel2go.com/

I just wrapped card round them and taped them up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They wouldn’t deliver to the area unfortunately @HoneyBunny
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@moseyp, ah OK, annoying
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@moseyp, it recognised mine.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@OTS, but we don't have the same postcode - or do we?!
snow report
Assuming you're shipping within the UK then if the collection and/or the delivery address is classed as a Highlands, Islands or Remote Area then either the couriers don't do there or they'll have hefty charges. In those circumstances then Parcelforce Express 48 might be the cheapest or only option.

I have a commercial account with UPS but use Interparcel when for whatever reason I need to use a different courier and I'm probably using Interparcel 100+ times a year. They're super easy to use providing that you enter accurate to and from postcodes and accurate weight/volume details to start with. If you don't then, just like all the other couriers, you'll just get a generic quote. And, like all the other couriers, if you later add insurance the price will increase.
snow conditions
@moseyp, you could look at https://www.parcelmonkey.it/ ?
ski holidays
Ah thanks @under a new name, I hadn’t thought of BRT either I’ll give them a try too
latest report
I would wrap in card rather than bubble wrap. Skis are strong and heavy, bubble wrap is for fragile items.
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, you worried about the other parcels? I'd wrap in heavy duty bin bags myself (and have done on a number of occasions).

Swiss Rail, who have a parcel delivery service in Switzerland (not many people know that) provide heavy duty, single use ( Shocked ) plastic ski bags.
snow report
@moseyp, there are some less than excellent ParcelMonkey reviews, but I guess those exist for anyone these days (we just got a poor one for one of our apartments, shockingly !! the client found dust on top of the bathroom door while inspecting the top of the bathroom door... Puzzled rolling eyes )
snow conditions
@under a new name, yeah I found lots of bad reviews for Interparcel losing packages when I googled them but I assumed no one really bothers to write reviews about that sort of service when things go well, do they, just complaints

I always inspect the tops of doors wherever I stay, and then go to town on the properties on booking.com and TripAdvisor
latest report
@under a new name, No, stuff other people packages Madeye-Smiley Parcels get lobbed about and a hard protective layer, such has a strong plastic or hard cardboard would offer much more than bubble wrap.

We've used Parcelmonkey a number of times, all without issue.
snow conditions
@moseyp, doesn’t everyone?

Our suspicious minds think she was just looking for things to complain about. The beds (orthopaedic hotel grade, 10 years old) were too soft Puzzled and the apartment got noisy when people got up to go skiing at, shock horror, 08:00am.

Mind you, we had to ask Booking.com to remove an earlier complaint that there was “too much snow and they should have fitted snow tyres”.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Assuming you're shipping within the UK then if the collection and/or the delivery address is classed as a Highlands, Islands or Remote Area then either the couriers don't do there or they'll have hefty charges. In those circumstances then Parcelforce Express 48 might be the cheapest or only option.

I have a commercial account with UPS but use Interparcel when for whatever reason I need to use a different courier and I'm probably using Interparcel 100+ times a year. They're super easy to use providing that you enter accurate to and from postcodes and accurate weight/volume details to start with. If you don't then, just like all the other couriers, you'll just get a generic quote. And, like all the other couriers, if you later add insurance the price will increase.

Pretty much exactly what Jon says.
We have had a commercial UPS account, but now use a commercial consolidator that accesses all the major providers, even so we use Interparcel several times a year (they are cheaper under some rare parameters) and if you access UPS via Interparcel then the service you get is UPS (or TNT, or FedEx, etc) so they are just fine.

In the OP you start with the premise that a pair of skis with bindings weighs 2-3kg. Maybe if they are kids rando, otherwise no.

Final factor though is that the volumetric weight of a pair of skis with bindings is likely to exceed its actual weight anyway, so that's what you will get charged on (dependent on provider).
snow report
@midgetbiker, I got the weights from Head, skis & bindings combined worked out about 3kg. When I added two rolls of bubblewrap, tissue and a couple of rolls of duct tape they were 4.2kg
snow report
I have just sent a set of 145 skis to France. I priced it with DPD Local who quoted a range from £19 to £98 depending on whether it was Air, Express Air or Road. Ironically all 3 quoted 2 days for delivery. I ended up using Parcel2 Go who quoted £16..... for DPD. Go figure.

I elected to drop the skis off at the depot on Saturday. They arrived yesterday morning (Tuesday).

I used a combination of bubble warp and cardboard to protect tip, tail and bindings.
ski holidays
@Gaza, were you using a company account? I don't understand how my quotes were so much more expensive
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gaza, they are aggregators, so get better rates than you can. Very Happy
snow report
moseyp wrote:
@Gaza, were you using a company account? I don't understand how my quotes were so much more expensive

No, I used the DPD Local website to get a price directly from DPD. I then used the Parcel2Go website.

@moseyp, there are a lot of variables that will effect the price. You haven't said where you were shipping from and to. Neither have you said what length the skis were; that can have a big impact on the cost.
latest report
Going over 1.75m seems to knock out several providers and trigger 'oversize' premiums with the rest.
snow report
@Gaza, UK-Europe and 170cm (add a couple of cm for pluriball)
ski holidays
@moseyp, DPD, booked via Parcel2Go, seem to allow you 175cm for c.£17. Go above that, however, and the costs rocket.
snow report
@Gaza, parcel2go said they
Wouldn’t do Scotland/Italy

Quite odd
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy