Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anybody used Landeck as a base?

Poster: A snowHead
Like most of us .. we try and eek out the best holiday we can balanced against keep an eye on the budget.

I was looking at Brixen in Thale last week, but I feel its not going to really suit us unless we drive down to the alps.

So I've found a place in Landeck which might work ..

Handy for Ischgl, Stanton and a place I've never considered "Serfaus"

We probably would need a car here .. but has anyone any ideas about these places?
The only time I stayed in Landeck was when we wrote of the car in one of the motorway tunnels while heading for Ischgl Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are not going to be in a resort and will have a car have you thought of Innsbruck?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nozawaonsen,
I found a Hotel in Landeck which say they offer a "Ski Safari" to the local resorts, I dont want to really take a car at all if I can help it.

I'm trying to work out a family thing for Feb 2019.
That is easily reachable by train from Zurich

Ideally we need an appartment with three bedrooms and a bed in the lounge.

I had not really considered Innsbruck, as I thought Landeck would be an easier option to get to the hills.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Landeck certainly closer to St Anton, Ischgl etc. Innsbruck a nicer place to be based, though further away.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DrLawn, We have skied Saufaus-Fiss-Ladis area for the last four half terms and it’s an excellent area that pays special attention to families and children. It is modern, vast and caters for all levels and i’d say mostly well groomed reds. Good easily accessible off/side piste if you are into it. There is a post bus from Landeck. Fiss is probably a good place to get off the bus or Ladis if kids in ski school as it’s the closer to Landeck.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm pretty sure a bus also runs to Ischgl, Kappl, Galtur.

Sounds like a good idea @DrLawn,
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Assuming you're looking to go 'French' (apres = 1 drink at the bottom of the piste before heading back to your self catered apprtemnt) it should be a good base. You've got a cheap bus up the valley to See/Kappl/Ischgl/Galtur and the train to St Anton, all of which run late-enough for a quick apres drink. If you want to go more 'Austrian' (apres = 4-7 followed by food, then heading home to bed) then you're going to need a car+designated driver.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i used Landeck once for a week but i had Auto
however there are many resorts around...
ischgl, st. anton, Nauders, SFL...not bad at all
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Presumably you're aware there's skiing above Landeck? Cable car from Zams to https://www.bergfex.com/venet
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hd wrote:
Presumably you're aware there's skiing above Landeck? Cable car from Zams to https://www.bergfex.com/venet

Yeah but OP is out for a week not a couple of hours wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It'll work as a ski base but you'll spend at least an hour a day in a car if you've got one, potentially a fair bit longer if you're using buses. Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis is a great ski area and it's worth looking at apartments in Ladis for cheaper deals. You can ski back to Ladis but the only uplift is a gondola that takes you to a beginners area then down to Fiss. From Fiss there are two gondolas that get you into the ski area proper. You could also look at staying in Ried and getting the bus up the hill to Fiss every day. I've met people in SFL who've done this and said it worked fine.

Also worth looking at the Zillertal. Lots of ski areas along the valley, linked by a train that's free for skiers. Towns that don't have direct access to the pistes are cheaper.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DrLawn, I have used Landeck - I had to once because I couldn't get anything at all in St Anton. Ok, it is a boring place in itself but a great base for taking in the resorts you've mentioned plus Zams (small but a lot of vertical), Kaunertal (Glacier) and Nauders. For apres ski in St Anton you simply take the regular 4242 bus in the mornings (about 40 minutes) and take it home after apres - the last bus is around 7:30.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DrLawn: is it Hotel Enzian in Landeck? If so, we've stayed there - one night at each end of a guided ski touring/ski mountaineering trip in the Silvretta area.

Very comfortable, excellent standard hotel with good food. IIRC, the ski safari is excellent value as it includes transport and lift tickets.

Apart from that, we've stayed in other Landeck hotels a couple of times for a few days' skiing. Had a hire car and found it easy enough to get to the ski areas of Ischgl, Serfaus, Kuhtai and See and also Kaunertal glacier. We also skied the small area at Landeck for a day and enjoyed it - some nice long runs.

In addition, heard good reports of nearby Kappl ski area (big vertical) but didn't get there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @mountainaddict,
That's exactly the Enzian I was angling for ...

I met the owner Klaus at the motor cycle show in NEC one year, he was promoting his Summer Alpine Bike tours.
I was chatting with him and he told me about the Ski Safari.

Its hard to imagine a hotel offering all this busing and guiding to the top places and including the lift passes as well.

We are a family group including my 6 year old granddaughter, And I was thinking that Venet might be just the spot to bring her on a bit more, and my kids and hubbies would have the benefit of built in babysitters in the form of Oma & Opa going up the Venet.

The website is a bit confusing though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Landeck is really well located for a lot of fantastic skiing. The whole Paznaunertal valley (Ischgl etc) + Arlberg, Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis, Kaunertal and Pitztal glaciers, and a few little places (perfect for pow days) like Hoch Imst and Venet.

Only problem is the town itself isn't that nice (it's ok though), and realistically for a week will you be able to save any money when buying day lift passes for so many resorts? Unless you are able to make a couple of trips throughout the season, in which case the Tirol Snow Card may make that economical.
snow conditions
Quote:
and realistically for a week will you be able to save any money when buying day lift passes for so many resorts?
As I recall, if DrLawn goes for the Hotel Enzian Ski Safari, the half board price includes five days ski passes. They take you to a different area each day by minibus but on one day you are left to fend for yourself - with the local Venet area very close by. It looks exceptional value.
ski holidays
Landeck has a C&A so it can't be all bad...
ski holidays
@red 27, ideal if you lose your one-piece ski suit?!
latest report
You could always do with another ski suit, I'm sure that those things will come back in fashion again, but I've never seen one worn with a helmet.

But thanks for the opinions guys ... I really fancy the idea of this Ski Safari thingy ..
It really does look like extremely good value .. infact it seems to be too good to be true.

I've probably missed some small print on the website.

I did notice something very interesting on the Venet web site about a free tots 5 days with instruction and kit and lift pass. But on closer inspection its in the off season.
But the whole place smells of value.
snow report
Stayed at the Enzian on my bike in the summer and a winter stay doing exactly what you are planning to do.Its a great location for visting different resorts, try Naunders as well.
The hotel and rooms are lovely and you can use the pool in the hotel opposite, however don't expect anything from Landeck, no bars or restaurants of note, its a good base for touring but I wouldn't use Landeck again as a base as its too quiet.
snow report
@heppy, I've sent you a PM, thank you.

I've never had Nauders on my radar, for that matter I've only just tuned into Serfaus.

I suppose this valley gets overlooked in the mad rush to Ischgl and the Alberg.

I imagine cruising around the Alpine passes on a BMW bike would be pretty epic too !
snow conditions
Used to be home to hundreds of Ozzy & Scandinavian Skibums
snow report
I stayed in Landeck once when skiing at St Anton due to lack of nearer reasonably priced accommodation but did have a car. There is a regular bus service 4242 to St Anton, it does run very late to take home folk who work in the bars & restaurants. There is also a train every 2 hours. There are also buses up the Paznauntal, not sure how practical they are for daily skiing. Serfaus is sadly unknown in the UK, its is a nice area. I guess there must be a bus connection to Landeck too. Perhaps an option is to hire a car in Landeck for some of the time? Relying on the bus links every day might get a bit boring, they are really intended for Landeck locals keen on day trips. Hiring an apartment should be pretty easy, check out the Landeck tourist office website, http://www.tirolwest.at/landeck.html. Many Germans, Dutch etc rent apartments in preference to using hotels, it is cheaper and more flexible than hotels especially for families
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy