Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I replace my boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was shocked last week when I went to the ski rental shop to hire skis with touring bindings. They said the soles of my boots had become so worn that they would not fit safely in the bindings.The problem area was just behind the toes. Eventually the shop found, at the fifth attempt, some skis that would accept my boots and everything worked fine during the week.
When I bought my boots (Salomon Xwave 8.0) I assumed they would last me out. I guess they must be at least 20 years old and had about 50 weeks wear, but I'm not sure. They have become more comfortable over time - they were painfully tight at first. Is the fitting problem likely to happen with all rental bindings?
Any thoughts would be welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the sole has become worn down to that extent then yes it is time to replace them, we would expect the liner of a boot to last around 18-22 weeks ( sometimes a little longer if close fitting depending on he liner) the shell of cared for will last about double that, there are aftermarket items such as cat tracks that you could have put on your boots to reduce the wear when walking on hard surfaces, but just like the tires on the car the solenod the boot will wear down, most recreational boots now have a replaceable section at both toe and heel.

Alternatively you can carry on trying to find rental skis which might work with your boots, BUT there is a high likelihood that most shops won’t supply you. If they do find something that works and it doesn’t release when you have a bad fall, are YOU going to accept the blame or would you be after the shop?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi @Jehu I advise you walk an the grass verges as much as you can.

Did this rental shop sell boots by the way?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DrLawn, why do you make the assumption that the shop just wanted to sell him a new pair and weren’t looking out for his safety

Comments like that are the reason a lot of industry insiders don’t bother to post on snowheads
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Could there not also be issues with the plastic of boots of that age going brittle?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oooo @CEM, didnt want to upset any anyone.
Especially not yourself ... a visit to your good self is high on my bucket list.

I should look out for a toe and heel kit to newify my boots ..
But I know that's going to be hard to find.

Please excuse my "light hearted dig" .. its just that I've had a lot of ski rental places scoff at my wonderful boots over the years, They just haven't seen laces on ski boots before.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DrLawn, many current boots have laces...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, Good I'm glad I've got some spares then.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went int a shop in Alleghe to ask about replacement heel pieces to be told no, my boots were scrap and buy some more, I went into another shop in Arabba to be quickly provided with some new heel pieces. It didn't help as the inners were shot and bits fell out each time I took them off so it was new wellies for last season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DrLawn wrote:
Did this rental shop sell boots by the way?

I've been to a boot fitter twice about whether my boots were too old, and they've said they were fine both times and just sold me new screw in toe/heel pieces.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM wrote:
If the sole has become worn down to that extent then yes it is time to replace them, we would expect the liner of a boot to last around 18-22 weeks ( sometimes a little longer if close fitting depending on he liner) the shell of cared for will last about double that, there are aftermarket items such as cat tracks that you could have put on your boots to reduce the wear when walking on hard surfaces, but just like the tires on the car the solenod the boot will wear down, most recreational boots now have a replaceable section at both toe and heel.

Alternatively you can carry on trying to find rental skis which might work with your boots, BUT there is a high likelihood that most shops won’t supply you. If they do find something that works and it doesn’t release when you have a bad fall, are YOU going to accept the blame or would you be after the shop?

Many thanks for taking the trouble to give your expert advice. I will see what happens next time I rent skis and be prepared to replace the boots. They have a replaceable heel section but the front is solid.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jehu, also worth remembering that boot technology has moved on quite a long way since the days of the x wave, by next season Salomon will be on the 3rd new boot mould since that boot
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy