Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens and food

Poster: A snowHead
After 10 years spending our boys' weekend in Morzine (Boys= 50+) we have moved up or on to Samoens.

Any eating suggestions both in the main village and on the mountain gratefully received?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a few years ago this was a real revelation - "Le 8M des monts"

if they kept kitchen staff and management is still the same, then it is really good quality.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Tablé de Fifine, between Samoens village and lift base. We had a butcher with us one week there, couldn't keep him out of here and said it's some of the best meat ever cooked for him. Obviously if you like meat

Le Chariande, Samoen 1600, approaching from Tete des Saix down the blue piste it faces you as you reach the 1600 plateu.

L'igloo, top of Morillon.

L'beu, Morillon 1100 just as you get to bottom of sairon chair, stop about 100 mtrs up and it's on the left. Don't go to the chairlift entrance as you'll have to walk back up.

Chalét des Molliets, bottom of Molliets chairlift, approach from Morillon direction on piste and look to your right before you go under the road tunnel to the chairlift entrance, it's tucked away there by the trees.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the mountain, L'Aero up above the 1600 plateau.

We're not fans of Chalet de Molliets after very nasty tummy upsets ruined Christmas a few years ago.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've been there three times but tbh haven't eaten out that much.

In the village, Tiffanie bakery is really good for breakfast pastries. They have a few other branches, one just by the telecabine, one in Morillon, I think too.

We thought Le Monde a l'Envers was excellent, though more on the formal side. Restaurant in Le Gai Soleil hotel is pretty good, too (as is the hotel).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. Proverbial food for thought!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with ski3 but note that Le Chariande has new owners and a new name but I can't remember what it is. Better in a number of ways but a bit sterile indoors.
Best food on the Samoens side is at Lou Caboens under the GME arrival and La Luge de teran at the bottom section of Dahu.
Le Reposette at the bottom of the Six bubble (ancient) is as good as apres gets in Samoens with good food as well. Sunday afternoon is a good time to go.
Le 8m is still good. I like Le Serac for a nice atmosphere and reasonably priced good pizza and Savoyard food.

In case anybody thinks to mention Le Tournalta - don't. It got closed down due to health and safety reasons and the buildings owner reportedly does not want another restaurant there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My favourite restaurants for table service Savoyard food on the mountain are:
L’Igloo in Morillon
La Luge à téran on Samoëns (the best omelette I’ve ever had!)
In Samoens village:
Crêperie La Fandioleuse - not for crepes (although they look amazing too) but for raclette (a melting avalanche of cheese with meats and potatoes!) Make sure you arrive very very hungry! This restaurant is tiny so you need to book and pay a deposit in advance so do decide on a night and make your booking.

I also agree with L’aero and Fiffine’s.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 21-12-17 20:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don’t think I can get excited about omelettes... Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, ...sad times, my friend, life’s small pleasures can sometimes be nothing more than a simple whipped up frenzy of egg joy! Very Happy Cool Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
I don’t think I can get excited about omelettes... Puzzled

Really? nothing better than tucking into a fluffy French omelette wrapped around potatoes and cheese, with a salad and baguette on the side. Oh, and a rustic Savoyard red...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jumping on this thread to avoid starting a new one.
@Freestyle, visiting Samoens week after next. Do you know if Fandioleuse is open on a Monday? We had intended on eating at Le Serac that Monday but the owner is debating about whether to open depending on how many reservations she receives. Are most Samoens eateries shut on a Monday?
Also, has anyone been to restaurant Mezzanine
Cheers in advance
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went to Mezzanine 3 weeks ago with a group of 17.
Lovely atmosphere and the meal was great!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Freestyle, @Pasigal, that said, I do get very excited about "huevos casse" - fried potatoes and onions with a little jamon serrano and eggs broken on top. There's a restaurant in Terrassa (just outside Barcelona) which does the most amazing ones.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@willski17, Good to hear. Cheers
ski holidays
@Mountaindoc, we’ll be out in Samoens w/b 5th March too. I’m afraid I don’t know if le fandioleuse is open on a Monday or not. Where is Le Serac? If we book there too, it could help with it opening?
latest report
@Freestyle, it’s close to the Tourist Office in town I believe
latest report
The Samoens restaurants seemd to be taking it in turns to be closed last week, which is better than all being closed on the same day I suppose. We ate at the Septimontain opp the CGH apartments, which was pretty good, but our favourite meals were at Le Monde a l'Envers which was superb - lovely atmosphere and very attentive and friendly service. It felt like a bistro in terms of the ambience but the food was way better than that - Mrs L had the asian fusion monkfish which was beautiful, and my starter of tuna tartare was outstanding. La Table a Fifine has a great atmosphere again with attentive and friendly staff and a proper fine dining experience. I would also mention the Savoie Bar Samoens which we went into late afternoon when we had been rained off the mountain, and we were pleasantly surprised - nicer inside than it looks outside, very friendly and helpful waiter who speaks perfect English and the menu was reasonably priced (very nice omelettes, just to keep that discusion alive Toofy Grin ) Also, they have a very good beer selection - Leffe Blond & Brun on tap and a good range of bottled beer including La Chouffe, Chimay and several others.

As a general point, it seems that you need to book if you're planning to eat out in Samoens, notably for the eateries rated the highest on Trip Advisor (unsurprisingly, I suppose).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy