Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria mid-march > Kichberg?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

We are flying from the UK to Austria on the Sunday 15.03 to Innsbruck. Flight back is the 21 from Salzburg.
ME : advancer skiers
GF : Intermediates

We would need a resort with a lot of blue slopes and some red/black for me. We would like to be in half board in a hotel with nice spa + swimming pool + not too far from the slopes (5min bus is okay).
We found a good deal with 2 hotels at 600 / 700 € each in HB for 6 nights including 5 days skipass in Kichberg. How is this resort in mid March?

obergurgl / obertauern / Sallbach / Mayrhoffen looks nice but i can't see any good deal at this price.

The ski hire looks also expensive in Austria.. ( I am french, first time in Austria)

Or shall we wait until book anything and hope find a last minute deal?

Thanks

Ant
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SnowHeads

Kirchberg is fine as a village, but there are no lifts directly in the village. the ski bus takes you to the lift
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@capitaine, That is not a bad price for HB including ski pass. The ski hire might be slightly more expensive than France but you will save about 20% in the Restaurants on the slopes, especially if you have the Menu de Jour! I would aim for a resort closer to your departure airport so Obertauren is probably a good bet, or perhaps Alpendorf or somewhere on the Hochkonig (Maria Alm or Mulbach. That area would be great for you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@capitaine, Kirchberg is fine if a little quiet. The lifts are a short way from the centre but there are efficient buses. The price you have there seems very cheap given that a skipass will cost around €260 each. I would not have thought you would find a nice hotel with spa and pool for much under €100 / person / night but you might be lucky. The 15th onwards is the end of peak season largely because the snow is somewhat of a lottery. Mid March should be OK for Kitzbühel (the resort usually stays open until mid April) but some of the lower slopes might be getting rather soft and worn. Obergurgl / Obertauern / Mayrhofen are all higher hence the higher cost. I would be inclined to look a bit further west, Serfaus, Ischgl & Arlberg but they will be more expensive and not so easy to get to Salzburg (though train from Innsbruck is easy).

I doubt you will have any issues getting a hotel so maybe waiting is the best option.

No idea of the comparison of ski hire between Austria and France but I would suggest that food and drinks are a good deal cheaper in Austria
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@capitaine, Are you looking at the Kronneck/Lifthotel with Sunweb?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for your answer.

Yes 700 for 6 nights/5D skipass is a good deal. I have also a similar deal in bad Hofgastein with Ski amade include.
I don't see a lot of blue piste in Maria alm.
@Much Irish The plan is skiing 5 days from Monday to Friday.
4 days with the "pay 3 ski 4 deal" + ski discount on Friday for male / Monday for female. so 190 EUROS for 5 days Smile

@ Riccardo Yes the kronneck hotel was one of the hotel that I found. Have you ever been?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@capitaine, Yes, I went at the end of march last year. I'd recommend it, it is a nice hotel with a small outdoor heated pool, sauna, spa. The food is good Austrian cooking with a choice of main meal and a buffet for the other courses.

There is a bus that takes you from outside the hotel to the lift, but it is useless for coming back down because it goes a long way from the hotel before it stops. You can walk down the hill or if you have a car, it may be easiest to drive. You will also easily be able to take the bus a short way to the Ki-West lift which gives you access to Westendorf and the massive Ski-Welt area.

We hired boots from Gerry Sport who are 100m away. They were OK, not so expensive that you would change your plans.

If you have any other questions I will try to answer them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @Riccardo, thanks for the feedback.

The hotel looks nice but there is not so much details on the website.
Does the spa is open during the day? It is not too busy? My gf would love a jaccuzi. I found also Hotel Elisabeth but its 100 euros more. The swimming looks very nice

Is there something to do on the evening at the hotel? How was the snow last year in March?

Thanks

Antoine
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow from beginning of March can be very weather, particularly night time temperature, dependent. Have had really good but also very porridge. A good but quieter resort. Ski buses are fine and regular and you have a choice of access gondolas depending on which way you go. Fleckalmbahn is quicker to kitzbuhel and pass Thur.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@capitaine, the hotel you mention appears to be close enough to the pistes that you could ski back in good conditions. Issue is how good will the conditions be in mid March. Last year they were great but this year?? Could be piles of snow or green fields. In a typical year you will find a mixture of sunny days and decent snow in the mornings but probably not able to ski back to that hotel. The Kitzbühel area provides good variety and SkiWelt has plenty of easier stuff though is less good in March.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I doubt the conditions were good enough to ski down last year: by the end of the month there were green fields either side of the piste well before the gondola station.

@capitaine, I think the spa is open during the day as the hotel does full-board so clients are around all day. Not overly busy after skiing. Nothing to do in the evening but it's a pleasant 10 minute walk into Kirchberg which might have a bit more going on.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ive had friends stay there before. They didn`t have anything bad to say about it. The hotel is at the bottom of the hill for the Maeirl Gondola, but its a steep walk up the hill. Not something Id do in ski boots. Skiing back down afterwards, doubtful as well. To catch the frequent buses after skiing, make sure you get the Pengelstein bus, which is taking you away from the town, as the hotel is down the hill and a left turn. Don't take the Kirchberg one, as yes you would have to walk back again. Similarly, in the morning, step outside and queue for the bus on the hotel side.

Its a ten fifteen minute walk back into town, though id say the one busy spot, the Eisbar will be winding down by then.

I can get you some discount from one of the local ski hire shops, just PM me if needed.

If you check historic snow records, we tend to get a fresh dump of snow middle of March, so not the worst time to be in Kirchberg. We are open until the end of April after all.

If you chose there, by all means feel free to ask anything you wish.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Finally I booked at Hotel Elisabeth. Expected cost for 6 night/half board 3/4 + 5day skipass is 700 EUROS.

The Kroneck hotel was 618 euros in half board with 5skipass.

If someone want to share a private taxi from the Inssbruck airport on the 15.03 around 11am or on the 21.03 to Salzburg airport around 9am. > PM

I will do a report of my trip.

Does someone have any recommendation for any mountain restaurant on the slopes? something good and cheap Very Happy

thanks
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy