Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decent snow 1st week in April... advice pls..!

Poster: A snowHead
Daughter 19yrs (intermediate boarder) and BF (decent skier looking to learn snowboard).. looking for European resort that will have as near to guarantee snow 1st wk of April.

France - Morzine (bus up to Avoriaz if snow poor?), Les Arcs?
Austria - Obergurgl, Ischglm, Saas-Fee? Puzzled

Cost of eating/ drinking in resort might also be a consideration, never been to Austria but guess it's cheaper than Morzine/ Avoriaz/ Les Arcs? Any advice greatly appreciated Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't count on good snow in Morzine first week of April.

If you want guaranteed snow in April you need to go high.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Wink Suggestions as to where 'high' might be?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could they wait till second week in April? Starting 7th. Some good options at UCPA centres in France through Action Outdoors. There are twin rooms (which I imagine they'd want rather than separate dorms!) available at modest additional cost. UCPA prices include lift pass, equipment, sometimes lessons, good food, affordable bar prices at some of the premium high altitude resorts (Tignes, Val d'Isere etc). Unbeatable value.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Latlum, St. Anton, Ischgl, Soelden, Obergurgl... too many to mention!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @pam w[/b], they could wait until 7th. I think they're hoping to afford a 3-4* hotel but will need to watch the pennies when out & about. They were in Val D'Isere last year & parents paying for food / drinks , so will be a shock to the system this time wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Advantages of Austria (high) resorts over France?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Italy on all counts
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Loads of places. Val Thorens, Tignes, Ischgl, Mayrhofen, Zermatt..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Latlum, Tignes is a good combo of 'cheap' and 'high'

Cervinia in Italy would also work - April is good time to go there
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Latlum wrote:
Thanks @pam w[/b], they could wait until 7th. I think they're hoping to afford a 3-4* hotel but will need to watch the pennies when out & about. They were in Val D'Isere last year & parents paying for food / drinks , so will be a shock to the system this time wink

If they are watching the pennies, then UCPA is definitely the way to go. UCPA in Tignes is a nice one.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was in Avoriaz second week of April last season, which I am told was comparatively poor due to the unusually warm weather - there was more than enough snow, with the majority or runs open and in good condition.

Yes, Tignes is 'guaranteed' with the glacier, but you'll pay for the privilege...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you 😊 😊
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If they're looking to watch the pennies then first week of April is a bad idea seeing as it's Easter.

Resorts mentioned above are good shouts, personally I'd avoid Tignes Les Lac as a beginner boarder as there's a big flat area in the centre so not ideal for a boarder. Others will no doubt disagree. VT is an option, the Snowheads EoSB is there later in the month and on the two times I've done it conditions have been pretty good with fresh snow sometimes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any votes for Obergurgl?
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
If they're looking to watch the pennies then first week of April is a bad idea seeing as it's Easter.

Resorts mentioned above are good shouts, personally I'd avoid Tignes Les Lac as a beginner boarder as there's a big flat area in the centre so not ideal for a boarder. Others will no doubt disagree. VT is an option, the Snowheads EoSB is there later in the month and on the two times I've done it conditions have been pretty good with fresh snow sometimes.

Thank you, great info.

1st week in April.. Easter yea pain .. they don’t break up from Uni until 30/3 Sad but maybe 2nd week April might be better ... thanks.
ski holidays
We were in Gressoney first week of April one year. Lovely area, for eating / drinking out on the slopes really cheap (in comparison to Val d’Isere where we went the following April). Higher skiing was lovely, the run down to the hotel was rather slushy come the afternoon though when I had to do it late morning (as my daughter was ill and I had to go back to her at the hotel) it was actually a lovely run at that time.
snow conditions
Val Thorens and Tignes are the highest resorts in Europe and are also in big ski areas.
ski holidays
Val Thorens and Tignes are the highest resorts in Europe and are also in big ski areas.
latest report
@Latlum, just look at the Action Outdoors (UCPA) for twin rooms. Price is all inclusive including equipment hire (excluding flights only). They do do room only, or chose beginner snowboard lessons for her, he can do offpiste skiing with a guide for example.
snow conditions

snow conditions
@Latlum,
Obergurgl should be fine due to altitude. We're going to Sölden just the week before and we are expecting good snow. This winter is pretty good! You could also consider Sölden, with three peaks over 3000 meters. Sölden and Obergurgl/Hochgurgl share the ski pass, if it's for 3+ days. So if you go to either resort, you can use the other one as backup.

Btw, Saas-Fee is Switzerland, not Austria.
snow report
There has been a lot of snow this year in the Tarentaise / Vanoise area so there is a good thick base.

Les Arcs should hold up well for April and there is already talk locally that they will stay open an extra week or two.
snow conditions
Thank you guys Very Happy

Decision time .. narrowed down to either Morzine/Avoriaz OR Obergurgl.. avoiding the Easter weekend so 3rd/4th April for a week..

Decent beginner and intermediate snowboarding.

Availability of 3*/4* hotel at ok price.

I guess both will do the job but which more likely to have decent snow then.. Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
Oh and I shouldn't discount VT yet either ! wink
snow report
We have a group in VT from the 7th http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=134004
Although it says 'CLOSED', the moment I released the last aparts back to the owner, someone got in touch to say he wanted to come, so I re-held one of the aparts only for him to let on that he needed his wife's permission... which he didn't get rolling eyes

So right now there is one apart available.

A week later though is the [legendary] EoSB.
latest report
Thank you @super-snowHead Smile looks like that’s an apartment for 4 though so maybe not best value for them. Some flight/hotel packages are coming out quite good value ..
snow report
Leaning towards Avoriaz... seems suitable for these (late teen) boarders .. not hyper expensive, enough to do apres ski wise, water park, enough bars/eating places..
But will there be enough snow wink wink crystal ball time ??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am holding an apart for 4 yes, but that just gives me up to 4 spare places. They don't need to pay for the whole apartment.
It's a snowHeads bash so they book their places (the prices are on that thread - and include lift pass) and it's up to me to juggle the people to fill the places we have.

You said
Quote:
looking for European resort that will have as near to guarantee snow
ValTho is as certain as it gets in April: 6 x peaks over 3000m in the VT lift system alone. That's 150km of piste guaranteed + if conditions are good, the rest of 3V too.

Anyway no pressure: I can release it again no problem and with a group of 60+ it's not like we need any more Laughing
For the moment though, the opportunity is there.
latest report
Thank you !
Looking at links now ..
snow conditions
Obergurgl will have enough snow, but it is limited. IMHO it is perfect for advanced beginners and families with small kids and resting parents.
After 2 days we found it small and boring and went to Solden. But in April Solden will probably be limited to the glacier and the immediate surroundings. Admin is right re: ValTho
snow conditions
@admin, thank you can I Pm you about this ? Thanks.
snow conditions
Yes, of course Smile
ski holidays
Fantastic opportunity from admin! but 4 bed apt & love birds 🐦 🐦 won’t want another couple in their nest rolling eyes
They’ll learn.. Laughing
Back to drawing board ..
So, Avoriaz back on the agenda but still worried about poss lack of snow ...
snow report
Snow or no snow ❄️❄️
snow conditions
I've skied in Avoriaz twice this season (and done a few seasons there over the last few years).
It has great snow depths this year so I think the 1st week April will still be 'decent' in Avoriaz, Pre la Joux and Linga in Chatel.
Admittedly Tignes is a better shout as it has higher slopes but depends what your after.
I'm sure that the skiing in the morning and until 2pm will be 'decent' and then after that it will probably be 'soft' (How soft is uncertain) but I'm sure with the current snow depths there will be 'decent' skiing and boarding to be had.
Apres in Morzine is better than Avoriaz
Fun pool in Avoriaz is more of a 'kiddies' pool (Private pool so you can wear board shorts).
Municipal swimming pool in Morzine town so it's budgie smugglers and no board shorts (They used to sell budgie smugglers in a vending machine at the entrance).
Remember you can Access Avoriaz 3 x ways from Morzine....
1) 'A' bus to prodains
2) 'M' bus to Ardent
3) Via supermorzine telecabin in town.
Riders Refuge, TheMountainLodgeCo are two decent 'fair value' companies to look at for accom in Morzine.
The Sherpa (Jolly good holidays) and Apex Morzine offer good value B&B
ski holidays
@Latlum, if you concerned about what until 10 days before or less. Then you'll have a much better idea. If you want to book now you simple have to go Killy or Paradiski. You don't have to live high.
snow conditions
Thank you @247snowman really helpful Wink and @Layne, thank you Smile

Seems to be some good deals around (all inc flights 6 nights)... Any thoughts on these welcomed ... Smile

- Val Thorens - Hotel Club mmv Les Arolles £537
- Avoriaz - Pierre Vacances Atria Crozats £431, Pierre Vacances Electra £400
- Morzine - Les Airelles £514 , Hotel Le Petit Dru £597

..and this one seems a steal (inc flights..) - Les Menuires - Hotel les Bruyeres £370

but I'm worried I read " The only problem is that the slopes on the Trois Vallées side of the resort are south-facing. This presents no real problem in mid-winter, but when the fierce sun of March and April rules, the snow quality suffers and the avalanche danger rises" Crying or Very sad I'm guessing those are the slopes they'll want..
ski holidays
LAAX they have a blast and should get good snow!!
snow report
Latlum wrote:

..and this one seems a steal (inc flights..) - Les Menuires - Hotel les Bruyeres £370

That's a really lovely hotel - I would go for that option
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy