Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long will poles last?

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter asked me why we have poles.

I started to say to help you turn etc... then stopped to think a bit.

I had a search and the only thread I could find quickly was this one:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=67989

Thinking about it, poles are a carry-over from the days of heavy, straight skis, when to turn you had to really jump, so the poles would take your bodyweight as you jumped (would be exhausting otherwise).

With modern skis you are taught not to jump, just stand up a bit to unweight, and tilt to engage the edges and carve.

For many other reasons poles may seem useful, like balance, planting on top of a bump, poling along a flat.... snowboarders don't use poles at all, and manage. In the thread above, it's pointed out that skiing without poles actually makes people ski better.

So with modern ski technology, will poles be developed out eventually? Could we see "elite" skiers skiing without poles - downhill, bumps, off-piste - and then aspirational skiers try to copy them?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Orange200, I doubt they will disappear any time soon. Ever seen what happens to racers, be it DH, SG, GS, or S when they lose a pole? Not a chance. Poles help balance, are really useful when skiing steeps, deep pow and bumps and help you make snowboarders look silly on the flat. What's not to like? The only situation where I agree they are superfluous is when carving on a perfectly groomed piste.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"why we have poles? ... to help you turn"

This.

Always helpful for balance, essential in bumps (mostly for timing, but try run lining without them) and when it's steep.

"poles are a carry-over from the days of heavy, straight skis"

... so are bindings and boots and goggles, et al.,

"when to turn you had to really jump" - no you didn't, up-unweighting was a lot more subtle than jumping and as for down-unweighting, well... (I guess you never skied old skool)

"the poles would take your bodyweight as you jumped" even if you did <jump>, which you didn't, the poles didn't "take your weight... (would be exhausting otherwise)" ... as you aren't "jumping" Puzzled ...

"snowboarders don't use poles" - I could be led to say many things here Twisted Evil ... they don't ski either. "if skiing were easy they'd call it snowboarding * ", etc.

* I have that t-shirt
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Orange200 wrote:
.. snowboarders don't use poles at all, and manage. ?

Without poles, how is a skier supposed to tow their snowboarder mate along the flats????
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can’t see them disappearing. My skiing on steeps and bumps is considerably better since I started making a more conscious effort to use the pole plant. I don’t think I’m alone in thinking that they are more than just there for poling.

In theory you may be able to balance properly on steeps even without poles, but I doubt that the majority of recreational skiers are good enough to do that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can't, perhaps I should say I can't Laughing do a kick turn without poles. Invaluable when you get stuck in some stupid spot on a steep slope.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Too useful/ essential for all sorts of skiing/ moving to be dropped. Plus you'd just be left doing jazz hands for balance. Some park rats of course ski without poles as they can do grabs easier.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As mentioned elsewhere, pisteurs often (not quite always) ski without poles as they are usually carrying other things, but have you seen just how well they ski?

My old skiing boss used to say that the valley saying was that "the really good skiers at the back of the class creating shenanigans became pisteurs and the good kids at the front paying attention who skied pretty well became instructors" ...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
As mentioned elsewhere, pisteurs often (not quite always) ski without poles as they are usually carrying other things, but have you seen just how well they ski?

My old skiing boss used to say that the valley saying was that "the really good skiers at the back of the class creating shenanigans became pisteurs and the good kids at the front paying attention who skied pretty well became instructors" ...

Yes I remember stopping at the top of an unpisted slope, with fairly deep snow when a pisteur stopped by the side of us carrying a big bundle of marker poles balanced on his arms in front of him. I sort of knew the guy to pass the time of day with and jokingly said do you want a hand. He laughed and gave us a couple each and said "try it" and neatly headed off down in perfect style with the remaining bundle. He had at least one fag and a long phone conversation at the bottom by the time we caught him up Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tangowaggon wrote:
Orange200 wrote:
.. snowboarders don't use poles at all, and manage. ?

Without poles, how is a skier supposed to tow their snowboarder mate along the flats????

Laughing Laughing Laughing very true!!

Sometimes I do take my Black Diamond Compactors out when I am snow boarding.

When I'm skiing, my main use for poles is releasing my bindings.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Without poles, how will skiers make the clicking noise which announces "Entitled idiot approaching, I am too important to slow down."
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If poles are so essential to balance on rough terrain why don't fell runners use them?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many years ago a coach asked us what poles were for and after the group responded he summed it up as BRATS (not what you're thinking but possibly a good idea) - Balance, Rhythm, Anticipation, Timing and Support. I think all of these still have a place in your skiing armoury not to mention their use(s) on the flat.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tarrantd, yep.

@BoardieK, The ones around Chamonix do...

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Orange200 Could we see "elite" skiers skiing without poles - downhill, bumps, off-piste - and then aspirational skiers try to copy them?

http://youtube.com/v/e6clufY6USY&t=79s not sure you can go as fast without poles.

http://youtube.com/v/nY5LPYj5hqQ Can be done but probably not as fast fast...

and for aspirationals this is already hard with poles...
latest report
@Koeniglear, those guys are incredible! Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy