Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to ski switch better

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’m quite comfortable skiing down all pistes in most kind of condition but I’m a bit frustrated with my switch progress. I only started trying to ski backwards a couple of trips ago out of boredom and I have been practicing on some bunny slopes. I can see I’m getting better but I’m still nowhere as good as skiing forward. Often I see people doing tricks and landing switch or see people skiing down a gentle blue run backwards at ease and get a bit jealous. Is there anything I can do to improve on my technique or is it more a matter of time/practice.

My thinking is that if I spend 95% of time skiing forward and 5% skiing switch then I can’t expect to make the same progress right?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beware. My son is a very good skier, and not bad backwards. Last Easter he was skiing down a long, fairly narrow and bendy blue run leading his 11 year old son and 6 year old daughter. The latter, after her first few days of ski lessons was in the "I just want to go straight" stage, so he was skiing backwards in front of her, watching her and getting him to follow his line. I was bringing up the rear, behind the much more cautious 11 year old, and picking up any fallers, staying well back.

I became aware of a kerfuffle and quickly clocked that both kids (in distinctive jackets) were on their feet. Turned out that my son had skied backwards into one of those melt holes that happens round the supports for snow cannons. A bit like a tree well, I suppose. He had really winded himself, his back having slammed into it head on (if you see what I mean) and although it had a big orange mattress thing on it, he was very shaken. He did the rest of the run, even skiing backwards holding the 6 year old's ski tips on a steeper section where she was worried (it was the first time the kids had skied that piste). He didn't let on till later that evening how much he'd hurt himself. He was in a lot of pain, couldn't cough or laugh, or breathe deeply, or lie down and get up - had to sleep in a chair. Wife took him to doc's the following today who confirmed nothing broken but gave him a supportive "corset" which helped a lot, and the usual French plethora of pain killers and other drugs.

So the moral of this story is that if you are skiing backwards, best look where you are going.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think you have it when you say you spend so little time riding switch how are you going to get good at it.

You need twin tips to do it well anyhow I believe, which only park rats, some free riders have.

I've tried it occasionally and I kinda sucked. And I don't have much patience to work on it.

It's a good question though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been dabbling with it for years and always struggled, but gradually improving. As you say there's not a lot of time when you're actually doing it (in the scheme of all skiing), so my best improvements have been when I'm not skiing in a high ability group who are skiing quickly. I've found this video to be partly helpful, mainly in trying to better understand stance and observation. Hand on a bum cheek can also be a good way to make sure your upper body is getting rotated well enough to see properly.

http://youtube.com/v/_uvMTISJ4ZI
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy