Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge tuning - can't get tip and tail sharp

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been tuning my Völkl Kendo's to get them ready for my upcoming trip to Serre Chevaliar and I can't get the tip and tail of the ski as sharp as the rest of the ski. Maybe even a bit dull? Basically, where the width of the ski gets too thin for me to be able to cut off any sidewall, that's where it starts to get really tricky for me to sharpen the edge.
When I was at the local ski shop, I took the time to examine the edges of the skis there and to me even they felt a bit less sharp at the shovel than e.g. under the foot so maybe a bit less sharp is acceptable.
I have gone with a non-standard side edge angle of 3 (factory default 2). Maybe this is part of the problem?

Where did I go wrong? What are the implications of not having the tip and tail sharp? What can I do to get them up to snuff?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Use Fitzwilliam file to file sidewall and top sheet of skis off. And don't be too scared doing this. All my skis (especially back in days when I was serviceman on World cup) had sidewalls and topsheets on tips and tails really filled off. I will try to get photo of that later on, so you will see what I mean.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have no idea. Why are you going side edge 3?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@scr, ...are you only talking about the shovel itself? If so, there’s one school of tuning which says it’s irrelevant to have these highly tuned, since they do not engage as edge in hard snow, and have biggest effect in soft snow, where edge sharpness is not so critical. I have sharpened them on some of our skis and left them dull on others and cannot say I have noticed the diffference, and I am pretty sensitive and picky with edges.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just one correction, as obviously forum doesn't allow to write obscene words rolling eyes I never wrote Fitzwilliam file but ba**stard file. Might sound obscene, but it's just a file, and I doubt Fitzwilliam file exists Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@primoz, Please do post pictures if you can! And thanks for clearing up the Fitzwilliam file Razz I'm hoping this one will work?
@under a new name, if I'm not mistaken, spyderjon thinks it's a good idea and that sounds good enough a reason for me.
@valais2, both the shovel and the last bit of the other end. It does sound reasonable that the shovel is unused on hard snow. Thanks!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scr wrote:

@valais2, both the shovel and the last bit of the other end. It does sound reasonable that the shovel is unused on hard snow. Thanks!

Indeed, there are lots of instructions/YouTube videos that tell you to ‘detune’ the tips and tails to make them less grabby. Though I don’t think it’s needed on modern skis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Themasterpiece wrote:

Indeed, there are lots of instructions/YouTube videos that tell you to ‘detune’ the tips and tails to make them less grabby. Though I don’t think it’s needed on modern skis.

Yeah I agree with you and that's also what spyderjon preaches.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is not needed on modern skis. I didn’t like it on old school ones either.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy