Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your advice is needed- what to do with my cold feet?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,
I'm skiing in Zillertal Austria and it's an extremely cold week. I already bought lots of stuff to keep me warm but today my feet were cold and it was -11 c.
Tomorrow is -22 and I'm afraid my feet won't take it.
What should I buy to keep them warm? I'm wearing just regular ski socks and want to buy something usefull but am afraid to spend 50 Euros on something useless.
Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Friends of mine have ben very impressed by neoprene "boot gloves"-they say they really make a difference! Even though you might get some funny looks. No idea whether you will be able to track them down in Austria, but here's a link to eBay so you can see what I'm on about.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpenheat-Ski-Boot-Gloves-Ski-Boot-Covers-CHOICE-OF-SIZES-/221932234076
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sidas heated insoles is the way to go if you suffer cold feet - not cheap but highly effective
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can you get those little "hand warmer" thingy's there?
In Canada they suggest you put them ontop of your feet in the boots.

Temperatures in January are regularly -28C, and it recommended to wear a bobble hat in the outside hot tub.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A few weeks ago I cobbled together a temporary pair of what @Perty mentioned from an old pair of ski socks (split down the back and sole) encased in the outer of an old pair of salopettes, all sewn together and using the elastic straps from the salopettes as fastenings. I was really surprised at how effective they were.

If I couldn't buy or sew anything and needed it NOW, I think I'd probably buy one of those insulated bags for frozen food (our mountain Carrefour in France sells them, so guess you would be able to find locally), cut roughly to shape and attach with elastic bands/elastic/sticky tape on a daily basis if it was that cold. Anything at all that is vaguely wind proof would help, and you could also use tin foil under it to help with insulation.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DrLawn wrote:

Temperatures in January are regularly -28C, and it recommended to wear a bobble hat in the outside hot tub.

Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Charliee, I think I'll look for it tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, looks like the heated insoles will be the easiest to find.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used Alpenheat neoprene outer boot gloves on my last trip and they made a huge difference they are

t as faffy as I thought they'd be as once the back strap is undone they fold forward enough to undo the boot without taking it off altogether.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My daughter got me some of these for xmas and I've been using them for 8 days in Austria with temps down to -10'c where normally I would have numb toes but my toes have been comfortably warm all week, they have made a huge difference, they are not too faffy as I dont take them fully off, just fold them over enough to access the toe buckles. 
The downside is that they have taken some damage as I am a fairly aggressive skier and I dont expect more than 4 weeks use out of them but less than £10 a week for warm feet is good by me 

https://www.chelstondirect.com/alpenheat-ski-boot-cover.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhPj9ifqW2AIV7r_tCh1LSwAxEAQYAiABEgIO3PD_BwE

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for neoprene boot gloves. Not for me, but one of my adult children suffers terribly from cold hands and feet. Boot gloves solved the problem for her.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tangowaggon, now I have to buy them, the only question is wether I can find them tomorrow morning before I go up on the mountain.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can get heated socks, which is a cheaper alternative to heated insoles. I was skiing in Norway in -20 C a couple of years ago and over did it. A lot pain when my feet were defrosting, but fortunately no permanent damage. I spotted a lady on the table next to me had the heated socks and asked how they were. She said it made it feel like -5 C rather than -20, which is an improvement I guess.

In Killington last year it was also down to -20 ish, and I used some little sachets that sick on your socks on your toes, and a couple more in my mitts. I think it’s iron powder that gives off heat for several hours as it oxidises. They were very good. But I don’t think I’d have room in my new boots.

It’s -15 to -20 C this week in Åre, but the plan will be regular stops to warm up, max an hour at a time.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Put on a few extra layers on your legs/body and make sure your boots are completely dry. Works for me in very cold temps and I run cold generally.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for boot gloves. Good to at least -20 for me. Without them I get cold feet anytime it's below about -5. Another thing that I have found is the tightness of the upper clip of my boots significantly affects foot temp due circulation levels
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use Alpenheat neoprene outer boot gloves and whilst they help, I still get painfully cold feet. With them I can handle the pain to around zero, but when it gets to -5 to -10 I struggle to ski for very long. Anybody got any better ideas? are heated socks effective? I have custom insoles, so don't really want to get heated insoles and I don't have enough volume inside the boot for any warmers and if electrical socks are too thick they won't work either.
I have electric gloves which help my hands, but I also don't find them effective enough and my hands get very painful at the same temps as my feet.
snow conditions
@doddsie, how about modifying the boot glove to carry a USB-charged portable 'hand warmer' inside it? Yes, you'll lose a lot of the heat outwards, but some of it is going to land up keeping your boots a few degrees warmer.

I always use mittens, find my hands stay much warmer than in gloves. These are also good to carry for a big heat boost:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-pocket-hand-warmers-2-pack/p/080450186595800
snow report
What @element says.
I often find my fingers starting to hurt with the cold, then realise I haven't done up the neck zip of my fleece. Doing that up, and my jacket, usually fixes the fingers.
Similarly, an extra layer of leggings can make all the difference for feet.
latest report
Spray your toes with deep heat before you put your boots on. Make sure your blood circulation is not restricted because of your socks or your boots being too tight. Wear compression socks (some ski socks I purchased in the past are compression socks). I tried pop socks (mini tights) once as my boots were causing a problem, this really helped ensure the boots were not too tight and the blood flowed.

The boot liner is the key insulation material. If your feet are warm when you put them in the boot, they will stay warm provided the boot is not done up too tight.

Chill blanes this January, better now, not caused by skiing. (caused by running through ice and snow in trainers which got wet, and then going into a hot bath)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 26-02-18 11:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@doddsie, You can easily install heating elements on custom insoles. Thermic do a good kit, I've put it onto a few of our insoles.

Heated insoles are in that category of ski kit that I'd call "life changing" - my kids can now sustain a whole day skiing in -15 to -20C temperatures with no complaints (tho' my 7 yr old does double up by using bootgloves as well!)

Edited to add - £100 in Ellis Brigham at present which is a good price: https://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/therm-ic-smartpack-set-ic-1200-heated-footbeds-inc-trimfit/715055?itemid=116628&FT20Feed=00002763&FT20Prod=715055900_076&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp715055900_076&sc_intid=715055900_076&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiq-j0bzD2QIVtgrTCh1Vnw_dEAQYASABEgIagvD_BwE
ski holidays
Your body withdraws heat from extremities if the core temp starts to drop. As above - keep core well warm, extremities shouldn't be so bad.

General rule may have exceptions eg for those with poor circulation.
snow conditions
Thanks for the replies. I can't do much more to keep the body warmer, yesterday I had 6 layers on my body and 3 layers on my legs, all high quality stuff and still got too cold to ski in the afternoon at -5c.
I think one of my boots may be a bit tight around the ankle and that foot does get colder, however I'm not sure how to improve that as it's not helped by loosening the buckles. I think the heating elements that snowdave recommends will be worth a try, as I can use them with my existing insoles. Otherwise just need to man up and look forward to the easter skiing when it's 20c.
latest report
doddsie wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I can't do much more to keep the body warmer, yesterday I had 6 layers on my body and 3 layers on my legs, all high quality stuff and still got too cold to ski in the afternoon at -5c.
I think one of my boots may be a bit tight around the ankle and that foot does get colder, however I'm not sure how to improve that as it's not helped by loosening the buckles. I think the heating elements that snowdave recommends will be worth a try, as I can use them with my existing insoles. Otherwise just need to man up and look forward to the easter skiing when it's 20c.

That is a serious problem with cold!!! Just goes to show how different people are. I don't even posess thermals for my legs, if it's really cold <-10'c or snowing, I put some gym shorts on as well as my skids.
snow report
I really hope it's <-10'c in Gressoney next week: the idea of you skiing in just your skids Shocked
snow report
doddsie wrote:

Er are you mixing up your c with your f? 6 layers of high quality stuff and too cold to ski at -5C?

I think there's something other than your toes that need looking at.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
@doddsie, You can easily install heating elements on custom insoles. Thermic do a good kit, I've put it onto a few of our insoles

Was just looking at these. Where do you put the cable? Does it go inside the liner (next to leg), or do you cut a hole and run cable between liner and shell? I can see possible issues with both.
snow conditions
An update: I bought boot warmers in the morning and put in under my foot. I think it helped but still my toes were cold. When I got off the mountain I bought the Alpenheat outer boot gloves, I really hope that helps tomorrow. Thank you all for your advice, from me and from my toes!
By the way I opened my boots each gondola to get my blood running and it helped as well.
I'll keep you posted on how the boot gloves were for me.
ski holidays
are your socks too thick and cutting off the blood supply to your toes when you tighten your boots up?
ski holidays
There was a video on YouTube a while ago about using foil to line the bottom of the footbed and also the inner boot, I now can’t that video but you can get the idea from this
http://youtube.com/v/r8ApH6T9e18
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Make sure boots are completely dry each morning - take liners out in room at night if necessary - but I usually take to room and blast with hair dryer 2-3 times as well as putting in warm part of room (heated bathroom floor once!).
Also sound as if boots done up too tightly over foot if opening them up gets blood running! Use all the micro adjustments for a snug but not tight fit. Clips flip down , not forced.
latest report
admin wrote:
I really hope it's <-10'c in Gressoney next week: the idea of you skiing in just your skids Shocked

Laughing the ginger mop comes from Scottish ancestry with natural antifreeze built in😁😁😁
snow report
@kerb, whatever works for the cable, I run it under the insole to the back of the boot and cut a small hole, to then run it between shell and liner. This is (I was told) the best option, but you can also keep it inside the liner, or send it between liner and she’ll at the edge and run round the edge of the boot inside, then out the back as before.

@gad, those are likely to do more harm than good. Foil only reduces radiant heat loss, of which there is none from the sole of the foot, it’s all conductive heat loss which is exacerbated by having a good heat conductor like foil in there. Radiant heat transfer occurs between an emitting body and free space, so it works for the sun, and foil will block the suns rays perfectly, but wrapping yourself in foil won’t keep you warm in the Arctic or cool in the jungle.
latest report
snowdave wrote:
@kerb, whatever works for the cable, I run it under the insole to the back of the boot and cut a small...

Cheers snowdave, that’s really helpful. It seems there’s no hard and fast rules which gives me confidence to just see what works best in her boots.
snow report
@snowdave, the foil layer certainly helps, we have used it in race boots for years to keep them a bit warmer
snow report
+1 for the Alpenheat boot gloves! I was nice and warm even though today was colder than yesterday!
Thanks everybody, your advice helped so much!
ski holidays
@michald, I've never seen 'real' bootgloves. Are they simply one layer of neoprene, or is there any form of lining? I'm just contemplating making a mark 2 diy set from an old wetsuit and think it would be good to add extra layers.
latest report
@sj1608, it seems to me like a single layer only with stripes to attach it to the shoe.
latest report
Thanks, @michald.
snow report
@CEM, it might serve to conduct heat from a warm part of the foot to a cold part thus make e.g. the toes feel warmer at the cost of a colder heel or midfoot. However, as an insulator I can’t see it doing anything - taken to an extreme, would a metal insole be warmer or colder than a plastic one?
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
would a metal insole be warmer or colder than a plastic one?

Colder. There was a version of Nordica race boot with an aluminium boot board, it has now been replaced with a carbon fibre one which is much warmer.
snow report
doddsie wrote:
... I can't do much more to keep the body warmer, yesterday I had 6 layers on my body and 3 layers on my legs, all high quality stuff and still got too cold to ski in the afternoon at -5c.

How many on your head? As others have said, extremities get cold because the body reduces circulation to those areas in order to protect the core temperature. Heat loss is generally proportional to the amount of exposed skin (leading to the "50% of heat lost from your head" rule in mountain environments when the rest of your body is relatively well insulated). Consider buffs, neckwarmers, balaclavas, etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy