Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

off piste insurance (again)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm after off piste insurance for 1 week, I have normal holiday insurance through co-op bank. I usually get extra insurance via snowcard, but is there someone better or cheaper?
thank you in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Based on experience of years ago - so do check:

Better: BMC. Very clear policy. Covered solo skiers (I know, we should always ski with someone off piste - but there were occasions when I didn't).

Adequate and cheaper: Snowcard. Was covered by them when I had an off-piste accident - and they delivered.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have SCGB. Price is OK and off piste without a guide is covered.

The other things covered is good too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
k1orange wrote:
I'm after off piste insurance for 1 week, I have normal holiday insurance through co-op bank. I usually get extra insurance via snowcard, but is there someone better or cheaper?
thank you in advance

If you're off to France adding Carre Neige to your lift pass may work for insurance that includes off piste MPI are my usual one, though having recently checked for my son Direct Travel are slightly cheaper.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 BMC
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cost is one thing. Delivery if there is an accident is another.

I use SCGB
My daughter went with Snowcard...which gives a lot of versatility over elements of the cover and has a good reputation.

Also worth checking out:
MPI
Fogg
Dogtag
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So does Carte Neige cover you if off piste without a guide?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
k1orange wrote:
So does Carte Neige cover you if off piste without a guide?

It does
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use MPI at the moment but if I already had insurance and just wanted to cover off piste I would use carre neige.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had it with my bank for free (apart from my astronomical monthly account fee) for years. Checked with them this year and now it says I must be with a guide. I went with ASDA of all companies.
Maybe worth checking out?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Asda insurance is done by Insure & Go. I would always be looking to have the directest involvement with a service provider.

There policy is "As long as resort management have not identified the area as unsafe, then we’re happy to include all off-piste skiing in our ski travel insurance policies." As ever there the definition of how an area is identified as unsafe will be open to question.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has anyone got experience of claiming on Carre Neige?

It looks like it could be the ideal supplemental to my family travel policy, which offers cover for off piste only with a guide; Carre Neige would appear to cover side of piste and lift-accessed off piste but doesn't mention a guide, so I'm hoping it will give me that cover to pop off the side of the piste from time to time, rather than full guided expeditions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BMC every time , fortunately I’ve not had to call on them for skiing but ice climbing in Italy; helicopter rescue, hospital and replacement of my vortex which hospital had to cut off, no quibble, no payment up front and no hassle. Absolutely brilliant
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Austrian Alpine Club UK branch. Less than 50 quid a year, covers rescue for all sports under 6000 metres (Arctic / Antarctic excluded).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AAC+1 Covers off piste skiing without a guide.
snow conditions
AAC+2 Agreed.
ski holidays
AAC+3. Doesn't cover the mundane insurance stuff like refunds for delayed luggage so buy an additional bog standard policy for that. AAC membership also gives you a discount on some accommodations e.g. the DAV Haus in Obertauern.
snow report
MPI for a sensible off piste wording plus some flex in whats covered or not.
Also a very sensible medical section...
latest report
tomj wrote:

It looks like it could be the ideal supplemental to my family travel policy, which offers cover for off piste only with a guide; Carre Neige would appear to cover side of piste and lift-accessed off piste but doesn't mention a guide, so I'm hoping it will give me that cover to pop off the side of the piste from time to time, rather than full guided expeditions.

CN does cover off piste without a guide and I've read a few annecdotes of it's use. When being rescued you can just show them the CN receipt and that's it. Later expenses can be claimed from them. It's all on their website in English.
latest report
tomj wrote:

My ex wife did her ACL in Cham, many years ago. The piste rescue people scanned her lift pass and after that everything just happened. A quick form to sign once taken to the medical centre and that was it.
snow conditions
I use Carre Neige to fill in cover for when I am not with a guide, as my bank's annual travel policy excludes this. It also gives peace of mind that, if something does happen, nobody will be demanding credit card details, etc., before commencing rescue or treatment.

The bank has confirmed that they have no problem with this overlap of insurance (as long as I only claim once for each loss of course - and in a recent claim for a child's non-fault accident, the first few questions were: 1. Did you get the culprit's details? 2. Was it on or off piste? 3. Do you have any other insurance coverage?).

But do be aware that the limit of Carre Neige's cover is €50,000. This is plenty for normal resort rescue, helicopters and broken limbs, but might fall short for things like prolonged intensive care, serious head injuries, coma, etc. (although I would hope that someone gets me back to the UK if it is as bad as all that).
ski holidays
To get carte neige do you just get it with your lift pass?
latest report
k1orange wrote:
To get carte neige do you just get it with your lift pass?

Yes.
snow report
Isn't Carré Neige what you can buy with your lift pass, whereas Carte Neige is the annual thing? Must admit I tend to get confused between the two.
snow report
achilles wrote:
Isn't Carré Neige what you can buy with your lift pass, whereas Carte Neige is the annual thing?

Correct

achilles wrote:
Must admit I tend to get confused between the two.

Who wouldn't - it's rubbish product naming.
snow conditions
I'd go with MPI
snow conditions
Arghhh

Where are you going? Europe? France? USA / Canada? Japan??

I have spent hours and hours on ski insurance over the last few months.

IMHO-

1. MPI very good value and sensible re off piste and medical declarations / cover. Also covers races like the Infurno as standard.

2. Dogtag- very expensive- nice branding and well dogtag

3. SCGB expensive- no option for racing

4. Fogg reasonable.

5. Direct Travel- have used in past

6. Carre Neige (with lift pass) - bought by the day with the lift pass in France

7. Carte Neige- bought by the year - 3 levels - covers off piste (and rock climbing for a supplement). Very cheap- but it IS NOT TRAVEL INSURANCE- it is just ski / training insurance. ie if you break your leg skiing- you are covered, but if you break your leg falling down the chalet stairs you aren't.

8. BMC / AAC beloved by climbers
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy