Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton by train from Zurich

Poster: A snowHead
I’m thinking of travelling to St Anton by train from Zurich airport, looks like the best way as a solo traveller. Just wondering how busy the train gets and whether seat reservations are necessary? Are there any luggage lockers at St Anton station - I’ll probably arrive around lunchtime and need to stash my case while I ski in the afternoon?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MontyP, depends a bit what day, but generally if you get the RailJet train to Vienna then it's about 12 carriages long so there's a whole load of seats. I've never seen it more than 1/2 full but then I never travel on saturday...

Lovely journey.

Sorry can't help re lockers at stanton
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MontyP,
Better to reserve. It can definitely be busy.
Check with your hotel whether you can stash your luggage there (assuming it is not too far from the station/centre/lifts).
Austrians in general are very flexible and hospitable. And in fact around noon your room might be ready.
Don't buy your train ticket at Zurich, it is much more expensive!

You might also check the coach-shuttle service from Zürich by Arlberg Express
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely get a reservation. The Railjet is a great train, aka 'the fastest bar in Europe'. We did it 2 weeks ago and it was really busy, but fun Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
have you tried
loco2.com/en-gb/journey

They are pretty good for train tickets.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@MontyP, remember going Zurich st Anton a few years ago. Easy change on platform, bloke without passport hauled off train.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are lockers at the station. Nice journey! Enjoy. Worth getting reservations as others have said.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Planning on doing the same and have pretty much the same question re: reservations. Or rather, will the conductor allow us to stand for the duration in case all seats are taken?

The reason I'm hesitant about the reservation is that there is a slight chance we might be able to catch an earlier train than the "probable" one. Landing is about 35 minutes before the train leaves the airport IIRC. I've done the same combination before and we missed the first train with a couple of minutes, but we were the last to get our luggage.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great journey. I don't think you need to reserve and you can always buy on the train (I think, but don't quote me!) 35 mins is plenty of time though, Zurich is not a huge station and I've gone from TGV to St Anton train in 10 mins before!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's dead easy though you soon learn the reason the reason Swiss trains are so punctual is because they do meander so slowly across the country. Ime booking via OBB website best. The direct railjet trains only run once every 2 hours from Zurich HB so the timing of the connection you get from airport almost irrelevant in most cases.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SkiingDad, you are aware it is not the timing at the airport, but at main station that is essential?
Between airport and mainstation there are many trains, you do not necessarily need the one mentioned in the schedule based on your time-input, could be a train later in most cases too, enough changing time at main station
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Langerzug,
Thanks! Indeed, I'm aware of this. The time I'm checking against is the time when the train leaves the airport, essentially the last train that would make it possible to catch the train from Hauptbahnhof to St. Anton. Essentially, I need to catch the 10:18, the latest, to make it to the 10:40 to St. Anton. Doing so requires a bit of luck and no delays. Basically, I'm assuming we'll catch the 12:40 to St. Anton.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the advice. I guess the recommendation would be to book a flexi ticket for the outbound journey (in case of flight delays)? Or can you change a fixed ticket if you miss the train? If it's like a UK advance ticket then I know the answer!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
you'll need the flexi one I think
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It is always advisable to book a seat.
latest report
We book a Flexi ticket from ZRH to StA for the same reason as others above: if everything goes right, we will make the 8:40 train, but it is tight. Been lucky the last 2 years, with the flight being early. Since we have a Flexi ticket, we don’t buy reservations. Never been a problem.

We use a Sparschiene (spelling?) for the return, with reservations. Saturday morning out of StA resembles a refugee camp!
ski holidays
@Langerzug, what he said. If the timing works out for you, this is easier than changing trains.

https://arlbergexpress.com/en/services/zurich-airport-bus-transfer
latest report
@ulmerhutte, yup, I'm content with a Flexi too. We're doing Mon-Mon so I don't expect the train to be that full. And sbb.ch indicates there should be capacity.
ski holidays
Reserve. I got caught out on this train last year and had to stand most of the way as I just had an Austria \ Switzerland rail pass. Then a woman with a seat told me off for standing in the aisle when there was no way of moving anywhere else.
snow conditions
@Raven,
I can live with standing for a couple of hours. I can also live with having a woman tell me off in a language I barely understand. As long as we're not kicked off the train, we'll be fine.

Thing is, I tried to buy tickets on sbb.ch yesterday, but it wouldn't let me reserve just for St. Anton - Zürich HB. Will try again today.
ski holidays
Good advice everyone - thanks. I've now successfully booked on Austrian Railways (oebb.at) - no cheap tickets on the way back on Sat 24th March, so had to pay the full flexi price (€53 incl seat reservation). On the way out, I've gambled and booked the fixed ticket for €19 on a train 2 hrs after my flight lands - so hopefully a bit of buffer time even if flight is delayed.

Be aware that if you book right through to the airport rather than to Zurich HBhf then you pay €3 x 2 for seat reservations, as it also reserves you a seat on the Hbf-airport train (I think I can cope with not having a reserved seat for 9 mins!)
snow conditions
On reflection, the question for me is really: is it worth to dish out the extra money on the off chance that I might get to spend two hours more not skiing in the resort? The super-saver has seat reservation included, so it's looking more and more like the better deal.
ski holidays
Make sure you book the entire Route ... Airport to St Anton..

Lots of folks get caught out and only book Zurich SBB to St Anton and end up getting fined for the Airport link

Example .....

https://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/customer-service/ticket-inspection.tab-tab_0.html
snow report
@stanton, thanks for the tip. I guess it's easy enough to buy a ticket at the airport for the short hop into Zurich Hbf and v.v?
snow report
@MontyP, yes no problem
latest report
@MontyP,
If I understand correctly, you should also be able to buy that online for 3,60 CHF.
snow conditions
@MontyP,
Just to share my experience: If you want the super-saver, don't hold out with the purchase for too long. I bought tickets yesterday (going on Monday) and the super-saver was no longer available for the outwards leg. I could get it for the return trip, though. Some further research indicated that you need to buy it at least a week in advance.

Not a big issue for me, though. This way I have the flexi for the outwards trip, should we be lucky and our flight in time so we can catch the 10:40. Still have the reservation for the 12:40. Incidentally, the seat reservation is a separate piece of paper, so there shouldn't be an issue catching another train. Just remember that the super-saver is for a specific departure only.
latest report
One final question on this. Arriving in St Anton lunchtime on the train - is there a left luggage facility at the station so I can dump my case and head straight to the ski hire shop? Got to maximise time on the slopes on a short trip!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rent a car.
snow report
MontyP wrote:
One final question on this. Arriving in St Anton lunchtime on the train - is there a left luggage facility at the station so I can dump my case and head straight to the ski hire shop? Got to maximise time on the slopes on a short trip!

There are lockers at the station, but I am not aware of a “left luggage” facility. There is a ticket office counter, but I cannot picture a luggage counter in that area.

Why not dump your gear at your accommodation - you should be fine arriving at lunchtime? Are you staying outside St Anton?
ski holidays
@MontyP, as I said on 15 Feb...

“There are lockers at the station. Nice journey! Enjoy. Worth getting reservations as others have said.”

Very Happy
latest report
@MontyP, Dump your case at the place your be staying then go skiing. That is not a problem.

Checkin after skiing
snow report
@Inboard, thanks x2 - should have read fully through all previous responses I guess!

@stanton, am staying in a guest house nr St Jakob so would involve taxi/bus there to drop off bags and then same back again so the lockers at the station will give us an extra hour skiing I reckon ....
ski holidays
@MontyP, the large lockers at the station are 3.50 euros and you can get change from the information desk. I used them last week following an early arrival from Zurich. If you check the ski bus timetable it will save the expense of a taxi for the journey to St Jakob after skiing. It's only a few minutes walk to the Terminal West bus station from the train station.
snow report
Kelskii wrote:
@MontyP, the large lockers at the station are 3.50 euros and you can get change from the information desk. I used them last week following an early arrival from Zurich. If you check the ski bus timetable it will save the expense of a taxi for the journey to St Jakob after skiing. It's only a few minutes walk to the Terminal West bus station from the train station.

Thanks for the tips ....!
latest report
@MontyP, Smile
Enjoy. Conditions looks great. I’m gutted that our arrival in Vorarlberg will be delayed a day coz of a job interview.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy