Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moutier at 6am

Poster: A snowHead
We survived the overnight ski train last year... just (it broke down for 5 hours en route), but the wife hates flying so we are on it again. This time we are going back to Champagny, back to where my first ever ski trip was..... very excited, I have very fond memories.

My question is, our accommodation doesn't open till 8 to drop off bags, and the train gets in before 6, any suggestions for somewhere to go in the period in-between????

Any snowhead recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Moutiers?
There are cafe's open. Turn left out of station and you are on a street, Greyffié de Bellecombe, where you should find a cafe.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure I understand - you are staying in Moutiers for your holiday? Otherwise don't you wait for a transfer bus/taxi to your actual location.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Not sure I understand - you are staying in Moutiers for your holiday? Otherwise don't you wait for a transfer bus/taxi to your actual location.

We are staying in Champany but it is unlikely anything will be open at that time as its quite a small town, I had hoped something near the Station (Moutiers) would be open for breakfast to wait till our accommodation is open.

I need to book a transfer, but don't want to risk booking it for around 8am and then find out there is nothing in Moutiers open at that time and be stuck in the cold waiting...

Sorry for not being clear.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You will find somewhere in Moutiers open before 8am, even if it is only a bakery/cafe, or perhaps one of the nearby hotels would be happy to serve you breakfast. There is a cafe in the station itself which I think opens fairly early (though I've never been there quite as early as the overnight Eurostar drops you off).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was on that train earlier this year!
The cafe in Moutiers station is always open when the train gets in if it is on time. The waiting rooms are warm and comfortable. We wait there for our transfer to Le Praz which usually arrives at 0730.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^^^^I was about to say that! ie that the Moutiers station cafe is open very early.

France in general tends to have bakers that open from about 6am - & lots of them serve coffee to go with your croissants. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case in Moutiers town (as opposed to in the station).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awesome, that's good news.

Thank you....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Imalittlelost, In my experience Moutiers gets busy at pre-breakfast time, and ever busier as more an more vehicles pass through. My advice would be to find a café (as above) and take out and get your transfer asap, even if it means hanging about in resort. I'd want to be out of there at the first opportunity rather than getting held up having a leisurely breakfast.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking at last years timetable, the first bus out of moutiers to champagny was 0730, next was 1130. Can't see one posted for this year.
http://www.champagny.com/images/headers/Guidestation/Acces/Mo%C3%BBtiers_-_Brides_-_Bozel_-_Champagny_-_Pralognan.pdf
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The caf in the station is not the cheapest (resort prices) and there are lots of cafes in Moutiers, but is it worth paying for luggage storage to offset that?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway,

I agree that the cafe in the station is not the cheapest. However, the newspaper/book shop in the station (near the ticket office) is a cheaper alternative. They sell pastries and very nice coffee.

As others have said, there are also a couple of boulangeries nearby - at least one of which sells takeaway coffees. One is located in the square (far side of, as you approach the square from the station); and the other one is straight on past the square, on the right just after you cross the river.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Imalittlelost, Could you not catch the 7:30 altibus from Moutiers to Champagny and have breakfast in a hotel near the lifts?
The bus arrives in Champagny at 08:05 and it is a short walk from the bus stop to hotel les glieres which does a good buffet breakfast.
It's then only 100 metres to the ski lifts so you could be on the first lift if you are organised.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skichampcouk, Their problem is what to do between arriving in Moutier at 6AM and the departure of the first bus...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@albob, I can't imagine there is that much to do in Moutiers at 6am other than wait in the waiting room for the bus.
I don't think the hotel terminus opposite the train station starts serving breakfast until 7am and I doubt much else will be open nearby then.
There wasn't a great deal on offer at the café in the station the last time I was there so I would consider having a decent breakfast in resort before going skiing.
There was a café near the centre of Champagny that used to serve breakfast but that changed hands last season and only does lunch and evening meals now.
snow report
Imalittlelost The altibus website now has the Moutiers to Champagny schedule available for next season, the first bus on a Saturday now leaves Moutiers at 06:30 arriving in Champagny at 07:05. Cost of a return is 22.10 euros, single fare is 13 euros.
Timetable here http://www.transdevsavoie.com/media/upload/Horaires/Hiver_2017_2018/T6_Hiver_2017-2018_V1.pdf
snow report
A new café has opened at the entrance to the train station in Moutiers, it opened in December 2017. It is listed on their menu as open from 7am to 8pm most days and 7am to 11pm on Fridays and Saturdays although the women behind the bar told me they opened at 6am on a Saturday.

They had lots on offer - plat de Jour, sandwiches, croissants, drinks etc. and it all looked very nice. We just had a drink but it looks an excellent place to visit for those travelling by train.

More details here - https://www.facebook.com/les3valleescafe
snow conditions
@Imalittlelost, yup, turn left out of the station and the are 3 cafes that do breakfast within 5 mins. And those are just the ones I remember.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy