Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Major ski delivery failure Turin to Glasgow today

Poster: A snowHead
Turin airport seemed to be in complete and utter chaos this morning with what seemed like every section of the check-in infrastructure failed.

On arrival back at Glasgow off BY1713 (TUI) at least a hundred sets of skis did not appear including my brand new Magnums. Menzies PIR registration was also chaos,. Phoned Crystal who deny any responsibility and say I have to contact TUI who seem to have no means of contact.

There seems to be no way to find out where our skis are and what is happening.

Is anybody else flying to other UK airports caught up in this fiasco?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see this has been brought up on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/the3dge0fsan1ty/status/960165280856137728

Be good if anybody affected added their voice on there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh heck, feel for you and hope you get sorted soon.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At least it was on the return. They will have to deliver them to you and you are saved the hassle of lugging them home. Result!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Csb123 wrote:
At least it was on the return. They will have to deliver them to you and you are saved the hassle of lugging them home. Result!

...and being brand new, no issue over their value in an insurance claim ie. If they don't turn up.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Csb123 wrote:

Were they my 2013 Magnums in the bag that had had some 200 ski days and 4000+ km out of them I might feel similarly. I am rather more anxious about a brand new pair with 6 days on them...
As regards insurance if it had to go there, what with excess etc, you always end up out of pocket
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andyrew, when my skis didn't arrive with me , just filled in a description of bag and contents , then they were delivered the next day no issue , sure it will be fine
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andyrew, the airline is responsible for compensation not your insurance. As@Dabber says did you fill in the form at the airport (regardless of the chaos)...its the only way. Your TO and airline have no responsibility for locating and delivering your bag
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dabber wrote:
@andyrew, when my skis didn't arrive with me , just filled in a description of bag and contents , then they were delivered the next day no issue , sure it will be fine

Yup. This has happened to me a few times. They will almost certainly turn up....but it doesn't stop the concern.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They will turn up, from Crystal on Twitter.

The luggage has been located at Turin airport. Between us, airline & airport, we are dealing with it and will keep you updated when we have some more information. Thank you ^
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Almost certainly a luggage tug operator having a bad day, and either forgetting to hitch up the wagon or taking it to the wrong plane.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The same thing happened on Swiss from Heathrow to Geneva when I was heading out for the PSB. My skis along with about 30 other travellers luggage including skis left behind deliberately because they were overweight. Skis were delivered next day. Swiss promised to cover the cost of hiring skis which they did without too much hassle.
Unfortunately they won't pay the cost of me buying the very nice model of ski I hired for the day. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx wrote:
@andyrew, the airline is responsible for compensation not your insurance. As@Dabber says did you fill in the form at the airport (regardless of the chaos)...its the only way. Your TO and airline have no responsibility for locating and delivering your bag

The airline is only liable up to a limit used to be £200 not sure what it is now and you have to claim the rest from your insurance who will deduct the £200 , it's a real pain and you do end up out of pocket after all the excess and messing around is concerned as I have experiences a couple of times.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@T Bar, from BA

The air carrier is liable for destruction, loss or damage to baggage up to 1,131 SDRs (approximately £1,000 or EUR1,230). In the case of checked baggage, it is liable even if not at fault, unless the baggage was defective. In the case of unchecked baggage, the carrier is liable only if at fault.

This is why I carry my boots, warmer, mojo and knee brace as hand luggage....about £1400 worth
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank the lord for me, I flew out of turin on Saturday evening Shocked Shocked

All fine for me, but really sorry for the position you are in - id be mortified as my Titans and Kastles were in the same tube!
snow conditions
Similar thing happened to me with ski boots- they were delivered to my house a few days later. They’re used to it - happens every single day. Very annoying though. Always take boots in hand luggage now - not so easy with skis.
snow report
Tui destroyed my surfboard in November, refused any comp because I didn't check it at the airport, so for christ sake check them when you do get them back.
ski holidays
We once arrived at Birmingham for a BA flight to Geneva, but the departure was moved to East Midlands because of weather problems. Arrived about 3 hours late in Geneva, but - there was NO baggage on the plane. I like to imagine the Swiss baggage driver's face when they opened the cargo door and looked inside....
This led to large queues at the GVA baggage handling office where we all had to give accommodation addresses etc., and BA staff handed out 'overnight kits' with t-shirts and toothbrushes etc. We spent our first evening doing a trolley-dash round a huge Continent supermarket, grabbing cheap ski clothes etc. Our bags did turn up after a couple of days - it was like Christmas! Since then we've been very careful about packing ski essentials in hand baggage.
snow report
last year some friends had same problem last year from Turin.. a lot of their gear was in the ski bag so that caused problems.. but thats becasue they were not procesed at UK end, their skis turned up on the day they were leaving !!!

But turin airport is not the most organised place anyway, skis eithe r come out on the carosel at number 1 or out of the hatch next to it or even down the bottom end..always chaos..its only a small airport, monday to friday its dead
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@T Bar, from BA

The air carrier is liable for destruction, loss or damage to baggage up to 1,131 SDRs (approximately £1,000 or EUR1,230). In the case of checked baggage, it is liable even if not at fault, unless the baggage was defective. In the case of unchecked baggage, the carrier is liable only if at fault.

This is why I carry my boots, warmer, mojo and knee brace as hand luggage....about £1400 worth

Based on this post I tried my boots and mojo in a rucksack that I have. Fit beautifully.
latest report
We've had luggage delayed over 15 times now - ranging from skis (a few times), to bikes, to ice axes to general checked-in baggage. Most commonly it's been on Transatlantic flights to the USA, Canada or Chile (with connections) but it has also happened several times in Europe. Our kit has always turned up eventually (except for one occasion when Mrs B's ski boots vanished from her bag en route to the USA.... but that's another story). Airlines have always taxied the bags to us, resulting in one memorable occasion with a taxi driver roaming our hotel corridor in Park City at 6am, shouting, "I don't mean to bug anyone. But are these your bags?!"

With the exception of once being chased round Hawaiian islands by bags always being one day and one island behind us (we were eventually reunited with our luggage after 4 days- after we'd taken internal flights where we checked in in with our carrier bags of newly purchased spare clothes...) our bags were always delivered within 48 hours.

That's why we now travel with ski kit (including ski boots) in our hand luggage and carry our helmets on.
We've lost too much ski time in the past, running around hiring or buying new kit on our first morning. Not ideal, particularly on a one week trip. Sad
latest report
Just been Edinburgh - Turin and back last 2 Saturdays with Ski total/Jet2 carrying own skis, was all very orderly and not so busy, check in queues v small both ends. Have seen Turin in the past as a total melee though. Maybe Saturdays are better than Sundays?
ski holidays
@Klammertime, I don't know whether it is still the case, but Turin airport used to have very few staff in on a Sunday.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@T Bar, from BA

Good to know that the money has gone up since I last claimed, do you have any problems with your mojo in handluggage? I am travelling next week and may carry it I had previously thought it might be the type of thing they object to.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@T Bar, from BA

Beat me to it.... Montreal convention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Convention

Also, dont let them pass you over to TUI. YOU PAID the TA so your contract is with them. So you deal with them. They then have a contract with the airline and they deal with that. I did this in the past in a major shop.

ME: This has stopped working.
Shop: You will need to contact the manufacturer.
ME: My contract of sale is with you
Shop: That's not how it works.
ME: That is exactly how it works. I work for one of the worlds biggest consumer electronics companies and our consumer department has told me that.
Shop: What company says that.
Me: The one that has 15 cameras in that case over there.
Shop: Oh Okay, pick a new one.

Golden rule: Don't let them fob you off.
Also, Twitter is visible, it gets things sorted faster than an email.
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
@T Bar, from BA

Good to know that the money has gone up since I last claimed, do you have any problems with your mojo in handluggage? I am travelling next week and may carry it I had previously thought it might be the type of thing they object to.

Only stopped once. I explained what it was and it was fine. I carry the leaflet in the bag so they can see what it is
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, thanks good to know.
ski holidays
Csb123 wrote:

+1, they will turn up.
Coming back from Canada BA keep forgetting to get mine back to Manchester and they generally turn up the next day or 2. Must cost the airline a fortune.

Did think Turin was hopeless last year - worried now it was not a one off as we are going out there again next month. Maybe for the last time....if this is how bad they are in general.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just thought I'd update you all after 5 days still no sight or sound of our skis from sundays flight.

Crystal just keep bleating about how difficult it is for them, on Twitter, because there are so many skis (we managed to get out of them on the phone that it was 120 bags). They claim they're repatriating them to Glasgow as space becomes available on flights - I'd love to know how they're doing this as there are no flights to Glasgow from Turin except on sundays. We did hear from the handlers Menzies that some were coming through Gatwick but we've not heard of anyone getting skis. On Twitter they keeps saying they'll provide information - but never do. They have not responded to any of the emails I have sent to their various "customer services" (sic) addresses. On the phone a friend was told that there were still 70 bags in a warehouse in Turin and they had "booked" space on their own flight back on Sunday for them...

"We dot the Ts, cross the Is and put you in the middle"... My a*se.
latest report
@andyrew, may be time to contact the Daily Mail!
snow report
Flew back from Turin to Heathrow a couple of weeks ago and skis and baggage arrived safely so Turin do get it right sometimes. Feel for you. I dread anything going missing.
snow conditions
Hi

I flew back on BA on Sunday 28th January 2018 from Turin to LGW. On arrival approximately 5 bags did not turn up incl mine of course. Did the usual reporting to the BA arrivals team. Later that day I got a text telling me the bag had been located and it was delivered to me on the Monday afternoon.

Do not give up hope - there is a very high chance that you will be reunited with your bag.

Griggs
snow report
Well, It's now 5 days and I've heard from 3 people on Twitter today. All 3 had a courier trying to deliver them a bag that wasn't theirs...

I've started a google group CrystalBY1713 https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/crystalby1713 to share information and if need be act as a platform to organise legal action. Please pass this on to anyone you know who might have been on that flight if they want to correspond.

The flight was BY1713 Turin to Glasgow on 4th Feb.
latest report
Hope they turn up. I always have my address on a big piece of paper in an unlocked easy to get to pocket on the outside of every bag so if they do go missing then hopefully they will check that as well as the little airport tag thingie. I know that links to your passport etc. but doesn't always have address details.
ski holidays
Don't have any pockets on the outside of the ski bags but we did put sheets of paper with names and phone numbers inside before apprehensively handing them over to the shambolic oversized baggage staff at Turin.
snow report
I simply put my name and phone number on a Luggage Tag, or (as on my ski bag) in the special pouch for that purpose.
snow report
Aside from contact details in bags, I also have these attached to my main bags. You can record where your bags should be traveling to/from etc. Haven’t need to use it yet though.

https://reboundtag.com/
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:

That's why we now travel with ski kit (including ski boots) in our hand luggage and carry our helmets on.
We've lost too much ski time in the past, running around hiring or buying new kit on our first morning. Not ideal, particularly on a one week trip. Sad

+1 On the way out I take ski socks, base layer, and shell pants in my rucksack with helmet hanging off it. And wear midlayer and shell jacket. In the past I've also taken boots in my hand luggage. Then worst case I only need to hire skis (and maybe boots), hopefully just for a day or two. And don't need to be trying on clothing to buy.

It was chaos when I turned up at Stockholm Arlanda last Saturday - queue for the one special baggage scanner was huge. They eventually guided flights leaving sooner to other special baggage areas, including mine. I was convinced I wouldn't be on my skis (and boots) for the first day or two. But to be fair they did make it.
latest report
@andyrew, unimpressive.
snow report
I agree with all the comments above, in fact when I saw the chaos at Turin I grabbed a pad and wrote out extra phone and postcode labels to put in the bags, some kind of sixth sense... I wish I'd written mobile numbers in inedible pen on the outside of the bags.

Like most folks I've suffered missing skis before, it's why we don't use Jet 2 any more. But they were much less incompetent than Crystal, but of course they cross the Ts, dot the Is and then ram something very sharp and unpleasant up the middle. Never again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy