Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See Ski School and ski hire advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All.

I realise this is similar to some of the other threads posted (that i've read), but I wanted to ask some for advice pertinent to our trip.

We are a family of 3. 2 adults and 1 10 year old girl.

Soooo....
Which ski school would you recommend? there seems to be 2 prominent ones. Zell am See ski school and Sport Alpin. Any others to look at?

I am/was an ok Snowboarder who hasn't ridden in a while, and I have finally manage to persuade the family to go on a Skiing holiday. They have only done a 1hr lesson at Castleford skiing and loved it. Happy days!!
To put us all in the same boat and make it a family experience, I decided I am going to learn to ski with them.
I duly booked a reasonable deal to Zell (on the advice from a mate at work) and started looking around for ski schools.

I realise the daughter will be on her own in ski school but i thought about only doing 3 days of am/pm lessons then exploring the blues by ourselves. She is fine with this. Do you this this will be enough?
I know i will advance faster than the wife but I don't want to be in a different grade/class (i skied a couple of times 20 years ago and pick things up ok).
Will the ski schools force me into a different class or will they understand i'm on my family holiday and want to learn with the wife, even if its to the detriment of my learning?
Its a shame we cant afford private lessons as a family but having seen groups of kids in lessons previously they seem to having a ball.

Where would you recommend to hire skis and boots etc.
Intersport seem to be on the upper end of the price range but they do seem to have a good reputation and I want the holiday to be a success they want to again!

Sorry for the long rambling post!!

Cheers in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used both schools and had a good experoence with both. I'd say that the meeting point for Zell Am See ski school was easier to find (by the Arietbahn 1 station, first stop from the valley) and they seem a bit bigger.
We've had excellent quality kit and service from Intersport, and their free ski storage facility at the base stations (arietbahn at least) is very handy. Last year we used Hervis for my wife's skis - which was much cheaper in price and quality. She made me promise to go back to Intersport this year (but has let me off now I bought her some skis).
The ski school pricing (if I remember correctly) works out so the first few days are more expensive and if you carry on to Thursday the last day or two are only a tenner or so. So almost worth booking it and dropping out if you feel like skiing alone. I don't think they offer group lessons on Fridays anyway.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And there is also a smaller independent operation called Outdo. Used them about six years ago and came away very satisfied. All staff seemed to be putting in 110% - possibly because they were/are trying to get established. Might be worth a look. Set up in village by a Dutch guy called Michael which i don’t think is so common in Austria. Shows a certain steely determination if nothing else!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We used discount rental in Zell last week for my daughter and were very impressed. We booked online the night before from the hotel and got it considerably cheaper than the tour operator and intersport. If we stay in the town centre again we will certainly use them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some good advice given. Thank you for taking the time to answer my queries.

A week today and my family will be on the real slopes for the first time!!!

I can’t wait.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Poindexter, have a great time but don't overestimate what the family will be able to do in the afternoons. After 3 morning only lessons i would expect they can lap the runs they have been on in the morning and not much more
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx,
I was going to do am and pm as that’s all they seem to do.
But I hear you on not expecting too much. I don’t want to discourage them when it’s taken this long to get them to go! Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used SPIZ Sports in Kaprun for hiring skis and recommend. It’s not the cheapest but definitely less than intersport.

I have my own boots but my OH had a boot fitting service that I’ve never seen in a rental shop.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy