Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Sportiva Synchro vs Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As we all know the optimal number of ski gear is always N+1... so without a further ado I am putting the question to the experts...

I was dead set on getting a pair of Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro for 2020/21 but being the procrastinator that I am all the shops run out of 30.5 size by the time I was ready to pull the trigger.

The 2020/21 model is the same, but instead of yellow is now blood red. Oh, and £200 more expensive...

Now then, the dilemma - I have found a brand new pair of La Sportiva Synchro for £187 in my size. Do I pull the trigger?

Marginally heavier than the Tecnica, but I only tour to get to a place to go down and also to come out of it. Multiple day tours and hut to hut isn’t my thing due to lack of time. The T is 130 flex, the LS is 125, but that’s all subjective. They will be driving a pair of 192cm Bent Chetler 120s with Shifts or 188 Rossi Sky 7HDs on Shifts or a pair of 192 Sugar Daddies on Dukes. 198cm talk and 100kg. 38yrs of continuous skiing...

P.S. Currently using Tecnica Cochise Pro 130s, which are great, but being the old model are a faff to use with pin bindings...

Thanks in advance,

Alex
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whichever fits the best/properly.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cheburator, be very aware, that La Sportive being Italian does tend to come up on the small size.

I was testing some boots a few years back and was warned by them at the test to go one size up as to what I would usually wear, they are also narrow in the fit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cheburator, ^^^ good advice above. Very risky to buy without trying them on. Touring boots that don’t fit well are the biggest disincentive to ski tour!

Zero-G are 99mm last. According to this the La Sportivas are 102.5mm. Big difference!

https://offpistemag.com/la-sportiva-synchro-at-boot/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The La Sportiva is a horrible boot, the Tecnica a class leader IMO
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@CH2O, such a pity, I think the Sportiva is very pretty. That is important as well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gaaarhhh!

You aren’t a helpful lot... NehNeh

I know the Tecnica would fit like a glove - the old Cochise didn’t even need to be thermofitted... They were that good out of the box...

The La Sportiva are a good £450 cheaper though - that’s my annual pass at The Grand Massif...

I guess at £187 delivered it’s worth the punt to send them back if they don’t fit. I think I will follow the advise and go for 31 - several other forums like Blister said that they ski small for their advertised size/last...

As for LS being pretty - I do have to admit I like the old school bright colours which make a nice difference from the dour modern stuff
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cheburator, see if you can find the zero G in a 29, then get CH20 to stretch it for you.

On second thoughts, get a 28. No matter what size you think you are, he'll put you in one smaller.

Or get the full sized one for £300...
https://www.bergzeit.co.uk/tecnica-men-039-s-zero-g-tour-scout-ski-touring-boot-brg/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjcmb-6nh6QIVZWHmCh1b-A4OEAQYASABEgI5CfD_BwE
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I might have totally missed something but if you want a Zero G Tour Pro from 19/20 in a 30.5, there is one here?

https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/zero-g-tour-pro-bright-yellow-black-TECN00107.html?size=30,5&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIic3Z6K_h6QIV24BQBh0KvAZkEAQYBCABEgIYd_D_BwE

Obviously you would have to take the risk of buying it online and it is a lot more than £187 but I think there are actually a couple of online places stocking that size.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quick update - voted with my wallet - La Sportiva. Impressions so far - seems well built with nice attention to detail.

Two piece tongue is innovative and makes entry into the boot an absolute doodle compared to the Cochise.

Buckles - love them and I do find them intuitive. Wonder what they would be like when covered with ice?

Walk/tour mode - very low friction, easy to switch. Seems serviceable and well made. I do believe the 60deg or motions.

Size - 30.5 is just about 30.5. Toe box is roomy, but they are short and low volume despite the stated last and sizing.

Liner - well made, no seams to rub.

Footbeds - utter gash. For boots that were supposed to be top end, the flat pieces of cardboard are inexcusable. Another reason to go and see pro-feet when they re-open or wait for the usual visit to Jules and Co at Sanglard...

Stiffness - on the money. Probably about the same as the Cochise, which has been caned for 3 seasons, 30+ days per season by a 110kg Gorilla...

All in, I am happy with the £187 spent and cannot wait to try them out...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy