Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping in a Catered chalet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What's acceptable to leave after a week in a catered chalet for the staff ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RMM wrote:
What's acceptable to leave after a week in a catered chalet for the staff ?

This has generated conversationa and controversy in the past
Depends on service and resources , on the rare occasions that I have been to a catered chalet I have ususally left around E20
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
€20 per guest
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd say about 20 Euros also; add up how much you would spend on tips to bar staff and restaurant staff over a week if you'd been eating out every night. Also, chalet staff are paid peanuts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I sorta had a figure of about 80-100 euros in my head.

There is two of them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@RMM,
If you think that's appropriate go for it, I don't want to be telling you you should be giving less.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We left about €20 per guest. There were 14 of us in the chalet. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's usually 30 of us in a chalet, I usually collect 10E per person and give it to the staff on Tuesday night, gives them some dosh for their day off. Then on the last night we do the same again.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My two daughters have worked as chalet hosts a couple of seasons each over the last six winters. Their pay (except for younger one last season which was a little better) was generally about €70 to €80.

That might seem good money as everything else is paid for but if you consider the hours they work, the start up costs of buying stuff before they leave the UK and the inevitable unexpected costs when out there it really isn't very much.

Now I tip at least €20 even if they are a bit rubbish.... Often are towards the end of the season as they've had enough. Tip more if good.Compared to the overall cost of the whole holiday it really doesn't hurt too much but makes a huge difference to them.

Following a suggestion on SHs a while back I often tip on the night before their day off. Usually works well.

(Actually, thinking about it,went to VT, last week of the season with Skiworld a few years ago and left no tip. The host that year was exceptional though)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The tipping thread
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy