Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts from Denver USA Newby

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

I have flights booked to Denver from 12th to 21st March.

Any experience of resorts and or hotels etc

Many Thanks

John
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We flew to Denver and skied at Winter Park.

Good for groomed runs, moguls, off piste, exploring the trees etc. Accommodation at Founders Point was spot on.

Night life is very limited there but the was a free shuttle bus down to the main town of Fraser.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@joskin, Are you intending having a hire car, or relying on public transport? If the latter then Winter Park is the closest to Denver (and I believe they've re-instated the weekend train service from Denver).

Obviously if you have a hire car then that gives you flexibility and it's easier to go further afield from Denver.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 24-01-18 6:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like this is a special trip rather than a routine one for you? If so, consider making it into a properly memorable trip by going to Vail and skiing the back bowls and the wild unpisted mountain beyond, Blue Sky Basin. We did that a few yards back and it was a total eye opener having only skied Europe before. We also skied Beaver Creek but that was similar to Europe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most affordable way to ski Colorado is to buy one of the passes that cover numerous resorts. Unfortunately I think they've stopped selling epic passes for this season. So you are left with max pass (gives you 5 days at each of copper, winter park, and crested butte for $779). If you don't get a pass you can look on liftopia website and each resorts websites for ticket deals but can be upwards of $150 per day (turning up and buying a Vail ticket on the day is $199!)

In terms of which resort is best, it really depends on what your looking for in terms of town and terrain?

Also if you plan to rent a car or use public transport affects your options of where to stay significantly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Want to check the Snow it has been a very Dry Season so far in Colorado & the Western US
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

consider making it into a properly memorable trip by going to Vail and skiing the back bowls and the wild unpisted mountain beyond, Blue Sky Basin.

+1 for this.

We were very lucky on our 2nd ever wintersports trip about 14-ish yrs ago and got a Crystal catered chalet deal on the last week of the season to Vail for £370pp.

Having been all over europe since and also to a few resorts around Lake Tahoe in California, I can genuinely say the Vail trip was one of the best for weather, conditions and sheer expansive terrain. Highly recommended!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Where you go depends on what you're looking for. Family resort? Nightlife? Miles of groomers or more challenging off piste stuff? Convenience or willing to drive a bit further?
Whatever you do, try to avoid driving from Denver up to the resorts or back during the weekend rush.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree, that you need to tell us more about your situation. Regardless, I'd recommend renting a car so you can try a few different hills. Aspen and Crested Butte are about four hours from Denver. Telluride is six. Steamboat is 3hrs. All the hills off the I-70 corridor are about 2 hrs (Vail, A-Basin, Winter Park, Breck, Copper etc.). You've pretty much missed out on the passes. The Epic Pass is no longer on sale (Vail Resorts product), the Rocky Mountain Super Pass is still available but costs $1k, so you're probably better off booking lodging directly to get discounted tickets. Also, check out the Mountain Collective Pass, if you're interested in Aspen (it covers 2 days each at Aspen and Telluride and 50% off additional days).

As others have said, stay off I-70 Friday night, Saturday morning and Sunday evening to avoid traffic. Also, you're trip falls right in the middle of the American spring break period. It's not as intense as European half-term, but definitely a factor that will make resorts a bit busier.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Until now, it is quite dry in Colorado, but oddly enough, if you go North a few hundred miles, the conditions are massively better. In other words, Jackson Hole and Sun Valley in Idaho.

Even though the good deal on the Epic Pass is no longer on sale, I just the Mountain Collective pass is on sale for $500, and that would cover some resorts - check it out.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's really not clear what you want. I don't even understand if you have a business trip booked to Denver and want a couple of days skiing, if you're a beginner who wants one easy resort to stay in for the week, if you're an expert who wants to hit every double diamond in Colorado within 9 days.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Until now, it is quite dry in Colorado, but oddly enough, if you go North a few hundred miles, the conditions are massively better. In other words, Jackson Hole and Sun Valley in Idaho.

I was in Sun Valley at the beginning of the month. Conditions were terrible. Nothing but man made snow and rocks. Most places in Colorado have had about double the snow fall of Sun Valley season to date. For instance:

http://www.coppercolorado.com/the-mountain/conditions-weather
https://www.sunvalley.com/mountain-snow-report

Jackson Hole has done much better than either location.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Breck, Keystone, Beaver, Vail, Copper, Winter Park, A Basin all easily accessible by car. Steamboat a bit of a stretch and IMO not worth it with everything else so close. Not a stellar winter this year though............
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy