Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains at Easter 2018?

Poster: A snowHead
I tried a search but no joy....so would snow chains be needed as late as 30march for Val thorens? We will be driving up for Easter week.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. In case it snows, which i expect is quite likely in March. I would take snow chains whether I was driving to a low or high resort.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I will have them, of course. Was really wondering, from first hand experience, how likely it will be for that late in season to have significant snow on roads up near VT?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It did last year! But melted very quickly. You still needed them to drive in the station unless you have winter tyres.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks snowcrazy.. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It may seam strange but I have required snow chains at Easter as often as any other time of the year (once). If you need them you need them
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a set of chains for a Toyota hilux invincible forsale (2 pairs) if anyone would happen to be needing any? Never used, sensible offer will be excepted.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm going at Easter and I will wait and see how the weather/conditions are looking nearer the time.
I've always used these guys - http://www.snowchains.com/hire-snow-chains
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've always done VT over the Easter holidays and never needed anything other than winter tyres (from Geneva hire car). In seven years, we've only had two times to be glad of them-last Easter, driving up in an evening snow storm between Les Men and VT-heavy snow but got behind a bus and followed its tracks, and driving back in the morning when the roads were frozen over-but melted by mid morning when we drove off.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You're going to Val T because it's high. Which means you have a good chance of fresh snow. Yes, of course you need to carry the same equipment as you would in January.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Same question, but I'm off to VT on 30th April - I'm guessing that I'd be extremely unlucky to need to them, but there's always a chance so would it be irresponsible not have them on the off-chance?? (struggling to find hire companies offering them at a reasonable price at that time of year!)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Later in the season, it's actually more likely that you'll get snow melt which then freezes overnight. If it's permanently sub-zero°, as it was for us last week, it doesn't happen. I've only had to use chains to get out of a car park or up a drive out of the apartment block, rather than on the open road, but the late-season melt/freeze effect can still cause problems, as can a snowfall overnight before the day of departure, for example.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Handy Turnip, if you don’t need them then you can return home smug in the knowledge that you’ve saved some money.

But if you do need them, who you gonna call - Ghostbusters?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm guessing that I'd be extremely unlucky to need to them

Nope - that would be extremely lucky. Nice late-season powder!! snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haha @pam w, good point!!

Thanks all. I might book the hire car without them, and then monitor the weather beforehand and if there is any chance I might need them, contact the hire company to add them as an extra. Might cost a bit more doing it that way, but I’m guessing that there is only a 10% chance of actually needing them!
snow conditions
Quote:
Nope - that would be extremely lucky. Nice late-season powder!! 
While we have skied powder on a fairly regular basis (on about half of 7 or 8 visits) to Tignes in late April/early May, we have never needed chains at that time.

We still make sure the hire car has them though.
ski holidays
Here is how to use your chains :
https://9gag.com/gag/a1oXpOb
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy