Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Frozen shoulder :(. Any skiing experiences?

Poster: A snowHead
To add to a dodgy back
I’ve now had a frozen shoulder for 2 months Sad
I think it’s getting better from the physio, and stretching
And I think I could probably ski with it
But
I seriously doubt that I could carry my ski s Sad
(I have enough trouble opening a door , brushing teeth and shaving)

Anyone any experience ?
Tad depressing to say the least thinking I might not ski this year
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I managed it. Couldn't carry a knap sack and found it difficult to look behind me when getting onto chairlifts. Thing I found most helpful (bizarrely) was falling heavily onto it on the first day. Carted myself off to the in resort doctor who diagnosed a frozen shoulder and told me to get on with my holiday. Rest of the holiday was fine despite horrendous weather conditions and having to lead my group off a particularly nasty black in the middle of a snow storm. you'll be fine.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just to add I also had physio as well as manipulation under anaesthetic. In the end just had to be patient while it sorted itself out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the positivity Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hate to state the obvious but have you seen a doctor?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hate to state the obvious but have you seen a doctor?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't bother seeing a doctor - I had similar ... No idea how I did it but it lasted several months.
I'm right handed and it was left shoulder ... I play racket sports and golf - tennis serve was hopeless as couldn't toss the ball up and golf was terrible.
Had steroid injection which helped for a week but no real use.
Had couple of months of private physio - stretching and pulling the shoulder and arm.
The biggest difference was when I started swimming ... Breast stroke was hardest but best ... When I started I was nearly swimming in circles but as the shoulder eased it got progressively better.
Worked for me !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My sympathies - it’s agony.

I followed this video and (sounds dramatic) and am cured. I have absolutely no issues anymore:

http://youtube.com/v/4Oc0_SvjUOA

The realisation that you have to stop rounding your shoulders and “open your chest up” was key for me.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know of someone who has skied with this and it was not a problem. I certainly wouldn't miss skiing this season for it given the excellent snow conditions.

I think you need to get referred to a consultant to see if further treatment is needed as it doesn't sound as though physio alone is sorting it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A friend has had a frozen shoulder for about 18 months, he's a ski instructor (admittedly uk based),and it hasn't stopped him working or going on ski holidays. Ironically he thinks a fall skiing is what triggered it. He did consider leaving his poles behind last year, but in the end it was ok.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What @snowymum says

I skied with damaged/frozen shoulder for two years. Turns out it was abrading the tendon over my shoulder - leaving it for another six months would probably have seen the tendon snap.

And yes it was caused by falling when ski-ing (pole wedged in snow and falling backwards jerked the shoulder massively)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sev112, hey, sorry to hear it. My OH had the same, almost certainly triggered from a ski fall. Get yourself checked out, keyhole surgery is the way to go. Day surgery, in/out, then 6 weeks of physio and she was back to 98%. Happy to pass on details.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a procedure involving an injection you could try before going as far as keyhole surgery.

If there is inflammation Naproxen might help for a short period like the duration of your ski hol but obviously consult your doctor about it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sev112 wrote:
To add to a dodgy back
I’ve now had a frozen shoulder for 2 months Sad
I think it’s getting better from the physio, and stretching
And I think I could probably ski with it
But
I seriously doubt that I could carry my ski s Sad
(I have enough trouble opening a door , brushing teeth and shaving)

Anyone any experience ?
Tad depressing to say the least thinking I might not ski this year

It sounds like you are still in the painful stage - where any sharp movement of the shoulder is excruciating? I wouldn't recommend physio manipulation when it is still so painful.

I've had frozen shoulders on both sides. One took 6-9 months to clear and the other over a year. But full mobility DID come back and I carried on skiing regardless both times (once it is 'frozen' and any initial sharp pain has gone you should be as active as possible - swimming is obviously good, as in walking around moving your arms until you can safely complete a length again!).

I didn't discover any magic bullet quick fix - you just have to hang in there and not get impatient or depressed about it and trust that it will resolve itself.

A session of acupuncture and cupping with a bit of physio-type manipulation did relieve something (I was sceptical but went along with it) and I think simply accelerated the 'thawing' process which was progressing anyway. I'm sure you've read up on the stretches - the best ones I found were raising both arms up against a wall and walking the fingers up as far as possible; reaching with both arms across a flat table holding a cloth and deep child's pose - as often as you can, stretching to the snapping point (j/k, be gentle on yourself). Try to improve or maintain range of motion each time and do the stretches regularly. Massaging with oil deep into the 'capsule' with your other hand can also help with range mobility, and obviously listen to any pain feedback.

It sucks, but it should resolve itself.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have had both sides with a frozen shoulder (not at same time thank goodness). Managed to ski with both, whilst arm extension for pole planting was inhibited it did not stop me enjoying the skiing.

Both times I had it my GP offered me a cortisone shot into the shoulder involving a long needle into front of shoulder just below the collar bone going through to the back where frozen shoulder was. The GP warned that it did not work in all cases and sure enough, first shoulder it did not help at all. However, the second shoulder it really helped with deadening the pain.

This is NOT a solution for getting rid of the frozen shoulder. That is only really the physio , excercises etc you mention, but is worth a shot as a more effective way of pain relief for your holiday.
snow report
have you tried a ski sling to carry your skis and poles with?

I use one of these and it great for keeping everything together and ease of carrying
snow report
I suffered a frozen shoulder for a year, cured by falling heavily on it whilst carrying a briefcase in that hand and 20kg bag on the other side! Xrayed at local hospital as I could not move it. A month later and I had full movement back and has been fine for 20 years until I broke the tendon and got it fixed by key hole surgery 18 months ago.
latest report
Thanks for all empathy , remedial suggestions, and most importantly, encouragement to ski this year - your examples have made my evening

I think I will persevere and give it a go, I can certainly see progress

Thanks again
latest report
I used to carry round a 5kilo tub of rice for 10 mins not doing any thing other than just carrying it. Then while still holding it bend over from the waist and slowly make the rice container do small circles then figures of 8, then after 5 mins stop the circles and figs 8 and stand and walk around for 3-4 mins. Repeat 3 times a day. I used rice because we had a new tub in the cupboard at the time pick something of a similar weight. water bottles in a bag or a weight ....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy