Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How's this season panning out so far?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm not off skiing until the end of March, so have been watching the almost daily dumps of snow with glee and talking excitedly about it being the best start to a season in the Alps for 21 years, the best christmas for years, and record levels of snow in some resorts.

But it also occurred to me that those going for a week recently might also have been hit by storms, high winds, whiteouts, lift closures, high avalanche risk, road closures and deluge of rain at lower levels.

Obviously you can't moan about lack of snow one year, and then moan about too much snow the next - and my brother, who lost a day of skiing to the conditions last week, also said the snow was incredible when they did get out.

Just wondered how those who have been out for their week already have found their week? Best week ever? Or from the sublime to the ridiculous, depending on what day it is!

Just curious....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For all the snow, my season hasn't been great at all. In the last couple of weeks the resort I'm in has been closed three times, today it was raining and 2º up high, and on Wednesday I'm heading somewhere with highs of 10º and rain! Could barely ski today it was so sticky, felt like mid-April not mid-Jan

To be honest I'd pretty less snow and colder temperatures
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PSB was all a bit icy on piste but we actually found some nice snow off piste on the lessons with Steve Angus, although it was pretty thin in other places so not completely kind the bases of my skis.

New year trip to La Plagne was probably the best conditions I've had in 11 trips, but the week was definitely disrupted. First day was nothing special but sun was shining and pistes weren't too hard. Second and third days were beautiful fresh snow, a few inches of powder on pisted runs, nice bit of side piste to adventure into (I'm only just starting to dabble in off piste). Fourth day was rain, wind and then snow, most lifts closed so stayed inside. Fifth day was much the same but we were going stir crazy so headed out, got soaking wet in the rain and admitted defeat after about 3 or 4 runs. Last day was glorious sunshine, bits of side piste had been mostly ruined by the rain but pistes were in good condition and some poor mans powder lower down Very Happy

All completely worth it for the two days we got to smash around in fresh snow.

Not chronological but video if you're interested

http://youtube.com/v/76RJRwKJZS4
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow has been really good here (Wengen) since the beginning of December. However we've lost 5 or 6 days to the weather so far this month, and that must be very frustrating for visitors who come for a week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haven't touched skiable snow. But I note my local bunny slope (Bejar) has a decent covering in the last couple of weeks - some seasons it doesn't open at all - and Grandvalira has been OK but seemed to get rain last week and was showing 11C on the cameras just now Sad I'm there at half term.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Today I skied my 19th powder day (of about 27 days total) since mid Sept. So for me it's been pretty damn awesome!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spent a week in Val D'isere (returned on 1th) and' although we lost most of the first two days skiing to white-outs and lift closures, the last 44 days more than made up for that.

My first visit to EK and definitely a positive one despite some really tough conditions for the first couple of days.

Massive credit to the pisteurs who had almost everything open once the conditions allowed and we ended up with 4 days of beautiful sunshine on perfect pistes right across Val D'isere and Tignes!!!

i would far rather have disruptions due to too much snow than come skiing for green fields and a few icy or slushy pistes!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It’s been awesome so far. Pretty much every day a powder day. The irony is that I took a week off work to do a powder camp this week and the resort shuts! Should be great over the next couple days in the sunshine and then colder snow fresh up coming on Friday so the weekend should be cracking!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lack of snow locally, far too warm and far too much rain.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Handy Turnip, "Their week"? Christmas and New Year in Flachau excellent conditions but needed a little top up when we left.. and got it. W/c 6th Jan in Flachau excellent conditions except one day when it p*ssed it down. 2 more weeks left.....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, the reason why I mentioned “their week” was because I was anticipating a different view between those people who are out for the season (or several weeks), compared to those who only have a week.

My assumption was that if you’re out for longer then the snow is so good that you can pick and choose your days more, and it’s easier to stomach missing the odd day (esp when conditions on the good days are so good).

Whereas those who are only doing a week and can’t pick and choose their days might view this year differently if they lose a day or two to storms or high winds.

Thought it would be interesting to see how the views of the separate groups might differ.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Handy Turnip, ah..I see
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, glad your leg (knee?) is better! Would have been a real bummer to miss out on this season!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, Found somewhere open? Or skinned up?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Amazing. Powder day after powder day.
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
@clarky999, Found somewhere open? Or skinned up?

Somewhere open - mate invited me to join him to basically find as 'flat and shallow' as we could Laughing

Some great turns amongst but also some truly hideous combat skiing/bushwhacking/branch-over-tree-well riding
latest report
I feel like I've been incredibly lucky, having missed all storm days during transportation. Got some good skiing in on Saturday, and it's nice to watch the weather roll in from a low-risk area where the roads are open.

@clarky999, Living dangerously Skullie Can't say I regret staying in bed. Now fighting a full on cold with persistent cough, but should be ok in a couple of days. Friday or Saturday looks good maybe?
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
@BobinCH, glad your leg (knee?) is better! Would have been a real bummer to miss out on this season!

Thanks 🙏
snow report
I <THINK> that for most people, most have had good weeks. Some have been unlucky. I <THINK> fewer than in the poor starts in recent years which pretty much affected everyone equally.

This year problems have been much more spotty and altitude related.

But that's just my perception.
snow report
I haven’t been out yet this season, but I’m astonished at some of the comments. Yes, there’s been shedloads of snow but most of the reports I’ve read suggest that it hasn’t always been nice light fluffy powder, but heavy, porridge like stuff. Looking at the webcams also suggests that the weather and vis have been atrocious. Maybe I’m just a bit pathetic but I do rather need some half-way tolerable weather to go with the snow. It doesn’t have to be blue skies and sunshine but I really don’t like rain, whiteouts or even just poor vis. Has it really been as good as some are suggesting above?
snow report
Meribel, 3rd to 10th Jan. Skied every day, rained only once, links were closed on 3 days, but we had enough to occupy us all week. Not so good for the kids, who are much more advanced than us. The closed link to VT was a bummer for them. The snow? Our 4th ski winter, and never seen snow like it, it was great!
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, it's generally been really good then got warm for a few days and turning to sludge then got good again and repeat... Some really brilliant days in the bag in Tirol anyway!

You don't need good weather/vis though you just need trees! Sometimes it pays to go low wink
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, my perception is that for most people (yes, yes, huge generalisation) #1 well groomed, smooth pistes, #2 blue skis. Sorry, blue skies. Red skis are equally as good.

In many places #1 has been no issue but we are, in fairness, a little light on #2. But that blue sky deficit can happen any time of the season and no matter how "good" or otherwise that season is being.

Hard to really know though. Heavy falls of super light snow through trees and who needs blue skies?
snow report
This is Europe's Year Very Happy

The Americans can only pray right now !
snow report
We got back from a week in Val d'isere on Sat. We lost a day to the weather, but the other 5 days were great. I love skiing in fresh snow and happily accept poor vis, wind, lost days etc in exchange. We spent a lot of time in the trees, and the snow was light (and deep) enough for faceshots, which doesn't happen very often!

latest report
stanton wrote:
This is Europe's Year Very Happy

The Americans can only pray right now !

I fly to Colorado on Friday.

You can all thank me now...
snow report
flaming, Supposed to be a storm, Friday/Sat there and another possibly Wed/Thurs next week - fingers crossed for you. You could just hire a vehicle and drive to Jackson though Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Its been the weirdest season weather wise, yesterday we had snow, today its pouring hard with rain and an avalanche Level 5 in place for the first time since 1999...oh and the winds, never known anything like them. Onwards and upwards Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great and frustrating at the same time. Glad to be based lower down as lifts more likely to open, then temps go up and the new snow goes soggy and it rains. Can’t reach the powder higher up on those days and our location isn’t the best for sheltered tree skiing down low when it has been cold and still snowing. Have had some great days of on piste skiing so far and the odd woo hoo moment in the fresh stuff.

However, hopefully this coming Friday we will get the “perfect storm” in the form of a reasonable amount of new snow, cold temps persisting low down for a few days, less wind forecast (I hope), Saturday skiing and ..most importantly, being there kitted up ready and able to enjoy it. Very Happy .
ski holidays
Great and frustrating at the same time. Glad to be based lower down as lifts more likely to open, then temps go up and the new snow goes soggy and it rains. Can’t reach the powder higher up on those days and our location isn’t the best for sheltered tree skiing down low when it has been cold and still snowing. Have had some great days of on piste skiing so far and the odd woo hoo moment in the fresh stuff.

However, hopefully this coming Friday we will get the “perfect storm” in the form of a reasonable amount of new snow, cold temps persisting low down for a few days, less wind forecast (I hope), Saturday skiing and ..most importantly, being there kitted up ready and able to enjoy it. Very Happy .
ski holidays
This season was the first time that I'd been out well before the lifts open, and first outing was 21st Nov.

I've clocked up around 20 powder days so far this season, numerous other days piste skiing and x-country and some days I just don't bother.

For sure the snow has been wet and heavy at times but we've also scored some truly great conditions* and possibly best descents ever.

What I keep saying is that these levels of snow will make for great spring skiing when the lifts eventually close, and unless we get a prolonged period of stupidly warm weather then I can see us ski touring well into mid May.

However for the average piste skier no matter what the depth of the snow pack is you will still get hard boiler plate during the busy periods (half term) after the corduroy has been skied out so really it makes no difference if it 50cm to 500cm rolling eyes

Currently I'm in Niseko Japan and it pretty well snows everyday and you hardly ever see the sun according to locals I've been speaking to.

So all the Aussies that make up 75% of the clientele here just get on with it and don't question the lack of decent viz!

That said it's howling up there today with winds forecast for bonkers later so me and OH are not bothering as we did not buy a week's pass and the other six in our group who did are braving the conditions leaving me to sort out guiding options for the next couple of days, and then Friday it's cat skiing Cool

*powder on a par with here in Japan, maybe better than we've encountered so far!

Further Edit howling and resort now shut - worries about tomorrow now - at least it's not an earthquake!
snow report
Bones wrote:
flaming, Supposed to be a storm, Friday/Sat there and another possibly Wed/Thurs next week - fingers crossed for you. You could just hire a vehicle and drive to Jackson though Madeye-Smiley

I think it will be ok, but it's just my luck to have committed to an American trip when the alps goes off all season!
snow conditions
Don't think there have been any 'lost' days in this area this winter. Occasionally the top lifts have been shut due to wind, but there's plenty below the tree line. Snow conditions are about as perfect as they can be and there has been good snow since mid-November.

The only thing I'm missing is a bit of sunlight... Very Happy
ski holidays
Still 10-weeks until I get to go rolling eyes

I'm hopeful that there will be plenty of snow still, but knowing my luck there will be a freak heatwave mid-March Sad
snow conditions
Ski Arlberg is mostly geschlossen currently. Avalanche danger level 4... Looks good for me, considering I'm going in the end of Feb.
latest report
Had 3 weeks so far out in BC (Big White) at Christmas/New Year.

Week 1: Mostly powder days with a couple of sunny days too. Very cold (-15 to -20)
Week 2: A more even mixture of snow and sun. Temps around -5 to -10
Week 3: Quite sunny and a little warmer (hovering around 0)

Just shows how much it's luck of the draw in the mountains if you only get 1 week!
snow conditions
We went on a 10 day trip to Tignes a few weeks ago - The storm and high winds battering the alps on arrival made for the roughest prep for descent and landing I have experienced. The engines were audibly straining, people were screaming because of the sudden and large drops, children were being sick... awful.

Then the trip to resort was rather ropey, with icey roads and snow building up fast - 2 guys in the bus were saying how disappointed they were it was raining until quite a way up the mountain, I'm in the back thinking - good, I don't want to the road to be closed, or to be cut off by avalanches, or stranded in a drift...!

On the first morning everything was shut - no blasting as it was totally dumping. Raining in Brev and the pisteurs were stopping people walking beyond certain points... back to the chalet for scrabble and dreams of skiing

Day 2 - Flat light Sad and cloud Sad Sad but a few lifts open, caught the free chair up to Boisses and joined a queue of what felt like 500 people trying to get on the bus... and waited half hour for the next one because no extra buses were put on. Looking at even more people joining the queue and sharpening elbows to the pointiest i think they'd ever been. Crowd control was in place for the return journey which again there wasn't any extra buses for, the heat in the bus made for travel sickness and the wet dog smell from someone choosing to force themselves and their massive husky on to an over full bus didn't help. I was glad for the 30 min ride down in the chair (kept stopping) with the fresh air, finally the helicopters were out bombing. Overall, a day that we spent on skis, but resulted in high blood pressure and the most hassle filled day possible.

Day 3 - Bluebird, much more open today, perfect snow. Very high winds on exposed ridges. Great day.

Day 4 - Flat light, lots of cloud and the threat of more heavy snow on high, rain low. Took the lift up, high wind. and thick white out. Not an enjoyable day - handfull of runs late morning, lunch, 1 more run, home.

Day 5 - snow snow snow, no lifts open.

Day 6 - snow in the morning - no lifts open.

Day 7 - Beautiful morning, flat light and thick cloud by the pm, started to snow.

Day 8 - Bluebird

Day 9 - Bluebird

Day 10 - departure with Bluebird, so made for a smooth transfer and nonturbulant flight. can't complain about that.

Overall, the snow was amazing when we could get out, but Ive had much better weeks than this. 3 non skiing days, 3 flat light/whiteout days and just 3 good vis days. Didn't ski any offpiste as the risk was 4/5, and to me that is too dangerous. pity some others don't head the warnings, Mr extremophile did a bit that was within very easy reach of the piste and didn't rate it much, heavy, slabby, crusty all the stuff.

Don't regret going or spending the monies, but do feel like I need to go again for lack of skiing.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 23-01-18 12:37; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@Boris, Chamonix had more snow in January than it usually gets in a winter and more snow this weekend than it usually gets in February.

A freak heatwave would have to be pretty August like to do enough damage, at least round here...
ski holidays
I think you need to create a skiing philosophy that accepts short, medium and long term horizons. Because it is a highly weather dependent sport I think we are seeing this season on both sides of the Atlantic that the ideal ski week - frequent powder top ups, but bluebird warm days is a bit of a fantasy. Kinda like Elbow, one day like that a year will see you fine. The question is how many days are you prepared to invest to chase that hit.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I think you need to create a skiing philosophy that accepts short, medium and long term horizons. Because it is a highly weather dependent sport I think we are seeing this season on both sides of the Atlantic that the ideal ski week - frequent powder top ups, but bluebird warm days is a bit of a fantasy. Kinda like Elbow, one day like that a year will see you fine. The question is how many days are you prepared to invest to chase that hit.

One of the reasons I initially started skiing in interior BC was for more chance of powder throughout the season. Even there it can be hit or miss if you only go for a week, but if you go for 2 weeks or more you would be pretty unlucky not to see some decent powder any time from late December through to early April. I think I skied more powder in Big White the first season we went (2006) than my previous decade skiing only 2 or 3 weeks a year in the Alps. It's also extremely rare for the lifts to close during snow storms as wind is not usually a major problem. Also lots of trees for visibility in flat light.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy