Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Hire - how much is reasonable to spend for a descent ski

Poster: A snowHead
I always been getting sort of cheap deals and now decided to give a chance to more robust equipment to try and feel the difference. Looking big names like intersport, sport2000 in Kaprun, what they classify as Premium for 150 euros, which is massively more than what I have typically paid - 70-80 euros. Still in the area, found small store one for 60 euros for intermediate skis!

Have I been skiing with rubbish equipment all the time or are they overpricing it and essentially hiring similar equipment - or slightly better ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
is this for skis only or ski and boots?

on the odd occasion I have hired kit in Austria it has been from the "Premium" range and it tends to be this years top recreational skier type stuff so the head I-speed models or atomic Redster, not full on world cup skis, I've tried them aswell and they scared the living daylights out of me!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most of the big ski shop chains offer big discounts on their prices to get you to shop with them, their discounts generally bring their prices down to the price the smaller independents charge. Its just a marketing gimmick
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends on resort obviously for price. Is it worth the premium? If you want to carve then yes as you'll struggle to carve a flexible beginner ski.

On the other hand if you've just progressed to parallel turns then a stuffed carving ski might not be appropriate if you haven't got the technique to drive it and get the best from it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
enduroaid wrote:
is this for skis only or ski and boots?

on the odd occasion I have hired kit in Austria it has been from the "Premium" range and it tends to be this years top recreational skier type stuff so the head I-speed models or atomic Redster, not full on world cup skis, I've tried them aswell and they scared the living daylights out of me!

Just skis, got my own boots after giving up on the hiring ones
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ok well in that case I would say that the 150Euro for a week would be the top level advanced race / carver. These would be about 25 euro per day in resort and will be a head super shape I-speed type ski for piste use.

its up to you if you think it is worth it. only you really know your ability and if a ski like this would be good for you or wasted on you. They will be a hard / stiff ski which is unforgiving and generally needs you to be pay attention or it will catch you out
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I always get descent skis - I find the uphill ones really hard work Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
arking wrote:
I always get descent skis - I find the uphill ones really hard work Very Happy

lol, good one!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Top skis in Strolz at Lech are about €700 for the week, which is a lot more than I've ever paid to buy a ski! I've never rented in Kaprun but I don't remember it being an especially expensive resort, so you should be able to get decent skis at a reasonable price. Check the online discounters - Alpinresorts have got 5* Skis in Kaprun for about £90/week. You could probably get them cheaper if you search around the web and find an online discount code.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiset Kaprun currently showing €116 for 6 day premium ski hire (after discount)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just popped on this thread because ... I dont know if I made a cockup.
Confession:
Because I'm taking the Mrs skiing next week I'm pouring over the laptop night and day arranging stuff.
I want to rent a pair of Head Magnums so I went and found "Skiset" for the Zell am See and they had them. So I thought lets book them.
I've booked ... but there is no mention of the particular ski on the booking voucher. I have a feeling that I'm going to turn up at the shop on the day and be handed a pair of whatever they have left in that category.

Or will I get what I thought I'd ordered?

Paid €116 + insurance.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or will I get what I thought I'd ordered?

Not necessarily, in my experience, but it should be of equivalent value.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Equivalent value doesn't equal equivalent ski. If you're looking to rent a specific ski and you're given the option to choose that ski when booking then that's what you should get imho. Unless it's like hiring a car and what they actually said was 'Ford Focus or similar'.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It looks to me as if the Zell am See Skiset shop only provides for a choice of category, not of a specific ski.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you explain to the guy I need the shop that you were hoping for the exact model of ski that you'd seen on the website, then you may get some help. I hired in Val D last year (can't remember the shop/chain) and said I was hoping for the Spitfires I'd seen on their web. They explained that they didn't stock them in that particular shop within the chain, but immediately swapped over the skis that they aside for my order and gave me a different pair that he said 'performs much more like the spitfires'.
latest report
I rang the shop in Zell this morning that I had ordered them from ...
He said that he did have some Head Skis .... but he was a bit unspecific... I can feel the cloud of doom arriving

BTW: I rented a pair of "Head i.Race super shape World Cup Rebels" at a little shop in Switzeland the other day, I just could not ski them.
Very embarrassing I was on my Rs in the middle of the kindergarten play area in less than 10 metres.
ski holidays
Silly Question time - why are stiffer skis so much harder to ski on?

In Are at Christmas the guy at the ski shop "upgraded" me to Head World Cup Rebels iGSR and they were a revelation to me, really held the curve well, even when I hit ice, and I was getting through powder on them, they gave me so much confidence.

Yet in Les Gets a few weeks later, I had Head Super MX and they were very skittish, I always felt they were getting away from me in the steeps, not holding.

I know its probably because I'm very heavy, but if so should I always be going for a stiffer ski?

I was 110kg in Are and in Les Gets, I'm trying to get down to 100kg by next Friday when we fly out to Zell am See, but I'm only halfway there at the moment.

Any advice would be much appreciated (unless its lose more weight) Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy