Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning in pandemic

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
(Obligatory pandemic note: I live in Zurich, I'm following all goverment guidance/laws when skiing + travelling to ski Little Angel )

I've lurked here for a while but never posted - hoping for some advice, thanks in advance snowHead

I'm a trailing spouse (not working, no children) and I'm trying to learn to ski. Currently I can get down blues/reds but still plough quite a bit, and go really slowly. I am a bit nervous of other skiers after being hit from behind 3 times in one week last year! I am very fit with strong legs from rowing, but I never skateboarded or anything so skiing does not come naturally to me. My aim is just to be able to ski blue and red pistes safely and quickly enough that I can ski with husband/friends (ie. normal speed, they don't hoon around or anything!).

My constraints are that I ski on day trips from Zurich - I go alone, don't mind long journeys though. I'm happy to pay for some lessons but don't want to waste money if I can practise stuff on my own between lessons. In normal times I would go to a resort for a week and do ski school but group lessons aren't running anywhere now - because of the travel bans I'm the only adult in this entire country who can't ski!

Questions:
How would you guys go about this? Where would you ski, how often would you go, how many lessons? Would you stick to one or two pistes all day or mix it up more? How would you measure progress?

How to get from snowplough to parallel? My way = gradually reducing plough over time as I gain control. Husbands advice = I will improve quicker if I go straight to some reds and try to parallel all the way down.

If anyone can recommend instructors that would be great also snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
trailing_hausfrau wrote:
Husbands advice = I will improve quicker if I go straight to some reds and try to parallel all the way down.
That's absolutely the wrong advice. You probably will, in time, learn to get down those steeper pistes, but it's extremely likely that rather than developing good skiing skills you will learn the bad habits of survival skiing. This will, at some point, hold back your ability to ski well.

I think a combination of some lessons and some practice time will serve you well, perhaps with the majority of that practice time on the kind of pistes that your instructor takes you on for your lessons. The balance between lessons and free skiing depends on your preferences, budget, priorities, etc, so it's difficult for anyone else to give you the 'right' answer. Perhaps find an instructor that you are happy with and stick with them, having as many lessons as you have the time and money for, providing that you are aware of continuing to improve. If you feel you are no longer taking big steps forward with your skiing at that point miles under your skis and a bit of focused practice might be a good idea, consolidating your progress before you return to lessons to help you make make the next step forwards.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@trailing_hausfrau, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Just to say - @rob@rar is a very good, and very experienced, ski instructor so his advice is well worth heeding!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@trailing_hausfrau,

Willkommen!

If I was to go about it again …..

If I had the money private lessons. If you can split the cost of private lessons with one or two others this helps and also means you get to watch someone else learning too, which can be helpful. You could consider joining group lessons, cheaper but less individual tuition.
As @rob@rar says I'd be inclined to try a few different ski instructors and pick the one you progress with the best.
Learning all the time may become a chore, I'd do no more than 50% tuition so I got time to play with/try out what I had learned.
Sounds like you are fit but your balance isn't the best. Balance boards e.g. BOSU etc may help.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with @DB and @rob@rar say, if I had my time again I'd of worked harder at school so I could have private lessons every time I went skiing (for a few days). Not every day and only for a couple of hours just so that I could ensure that I wasn't just getting down and was actually skiing. As @rob@rar, says you need to couple that with practise on the slopes your instructor has chosen for you. So you can get a solid foundation in technique that won't let you down as slopes become steeper and the conditions are worse.

I'd also do some ski specific exercises to ensure I have the flexibility and stability.

@trailing_hausfrau, you are going about this the right way and once you find a favoured instructor you will really start to improve quickly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@trailing_hausfrau,

Definitely your way, even if only because it's your way. Smile

More generally though, I'd say for most people the best way to learn is to develop their skillset, gain confidence and then move up a level. Trying to move up a level without the skillset or confidence is usually a recipe for disaster (although there are always a few naturally gifted individuals who make the rest of us sick with envy).

The Ski School instruction videos by Darren Turner on youtube can be helpful to demonstrate the progression from snowplough to parallel.

Beginner playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC502BC8CCA9BB32D
Intermediate playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA893DD2FE6198306

You might like to spend some time of your days with an instructor, some time practicing and getting confident with what you've been learning and some time exploring a little bit for enjoyment. Also add in some treats like hot chocolate if you can to take a break and enjoy the views. This is supposed to be fun after all but doing it by yourself can be a bit soul destroying at times so do whatever you can to make it fun and enjoyable.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Being hit from behind is not your fault.
So while that will hit your confidence, do not think you done something wrong!

I assume you can turn & know how to turn, but snowplough when you are not confident with what is in front of you.

I snowboard & my other half has a confidence problem. So while it may of no use to a skier, we board down the same runs a few times & as she learns the run, she gets more confident - she lets her body do what it wants, rather than her head saying no! Once she starts over-thinking, then she is back into her shell & does the equivalent of snow plough on a board. By using the same run she does not need to worry about what's around the next corner, as she already knows.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys! This is all very reassuring, I am pretty much following this advice already so good to know I will get there eventually.

I guess I was a bit paranoid about improving too slowly but I suppose everyone learns at different speeds.

Looks like it will be too snowy/windy to ski this week but next week looks good so I will head to Pizol for some lessons and practice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A rower skiing? Excellent!

I'll reiterate what's been said already: everyone learns at their pace.

The one thing I will say is that as the skiing season comes on I start to change my rowing training a bit to prepare, because whilst the engine carries across, it's a very different movement. So, I add in more dynamic leg exercises- move precisely but quickly, and I also found adding in balance drills was really helpful. When I prepared by weightlifting, I found that I wasn't as agile or precise, which slowed me down for a few days. So now, in a normal year, I stop doing that in November if I'm heading for the Alps.

Precision- practicing squatting to be symmetrical, poised and in control at all times, on two legs and one at a time. This can be done whenever you have a moment.

Dynamic- Try 10 squats, 10 lungs per leg, 10 jumping lunges per leg, 10 squat jumps without a rest in between. Build up the speed and try and get to doing 20 of each. Really hard work! This is commonly referred to as a leg blaster circuit and is excellent, excellent training.

Balance- This does need gym equipment and a good space... but if you can get ten minutes to try balancing on a Swiss ball, or better using the BOSU half balls to do squats, standing on one leg, rolling the ball around, jumping on and off (when you get more advanced!) it will improve your understanding of balance enormously. Super useful.

One final bit of personal advice... enjoy yourself! Good luck
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Balance- This does need gym equipment and a good space...

Unless you are already at a very high level of balance-ability there is plenty you can do with no equipment. Most of us struggle to stand on one leg with eyes closed for any length of time - or stand on one leg, stick on arm out with thumb up (like hitch-hiking) and follow your thumb as you move the whole arm from side to side. Loads more on youtube.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Balance- This does need gym equipment and a good space...

Unless you are already at a very high level of balance-ability there is plenty you can do with no equipment. Most of us struggle to stand on one leg with eyes closed for any length of time - or stand on one leg, stick on arm out with thumb up (like hitch-hiking) and follow your thumb as you move the whole arm from side to side. Loads more on youtube.

This is very true, and much more helpful!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@trailing_hausfrau, welcome to SnowHeads, I am rob@rar business partner at www.insideoutskiing.com One of our instructors lives in Zurich may be able to assist with some lessons. Lisa Maher has two little children so may not be able to help this season but I could check her availability if she can arrange child care...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Development of balance greatly helped by using a balance board and doing table tennis, badminton or mountain-biking or such - builds implicit base of balance over time...really important

and indeed the 'just try to do parallel on reds' is a Darwinian approach - not right at all in my view - get the base technique unconsciously nailed by practice practice practice on slopes on which you are confident - all learning theory suggests that....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimottaret That would be great if she is available, thank you Smile

Thank you all for balance tips! I was trying to use the slackline in the gym between sets before it closed to improve my balance for skiing. I was terrible Toofy Grin so hopefully doing some at home balance drills will also help!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@trailing_hausfrau, if you drop me an email to info at insideoutskiing dot com I can put you in touch. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy