Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First family ski hol

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,
I am sure that this is a tired old subject so apologies if this has asked before...
We are going on our first ski hol to zel am zee Feb half term. Me, wife, two boys (13 and 10)
Boys have had several group lessons on a dry slop and can navigate Chillfactore from the top (albeit cautiously)
I have had a couple of private lessons on the dry slope although found it harder to control speed at Chillfactore.
Wife is a total novice and a little scared that she will crash and burn!
We are all currently booked into beginners ski school.
Does anyone have any advice if this is the right thing to do?
I dont want the boys to be out of their depth, but i'm concerned that they'll be bored on the nursery slope?
Also, wondered if the ski schools will be ok for the wife who will be ery nervous to start with?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be tempted to put the kids into the next group up, otherwise they'll just be repeating what they already know for the first few days, or possibly the entire week.

If you are at the same level as your kids, i'd be tempted to do the same as them.

Wouldn't be concerned about your wife either. That's what a beginners school is for. Precisely for people who have never skied before.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My guess is the school will tell you after a day or two which group each of you should be in.

And yes, don't expect to be in the same group. I'd even say avoid it, as it reduces massive family arguments!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi. Welcome to snowheads.

Hi. I’d originally recommended all going to intermediate but have read your note again about your wife and the cautiousness.

Looking it again I’d advise talking to the ski school and seeing what the options are for trying intermediate and then moving down if needed but only if you can happily snow plough too to bottom of CF.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What ski school have you used? Take a look on their website and see if they have a "find your level" section. Most ski school websites do. If they have one, it should give you a good idea of what group you should be placed in.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Generally I think ski schools will readily move people down a class if they are out of their depth, but very rarely move them up.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with the above post, the first time we went to Ski school in France - ESF, they were very good at moving people around the different groups on the first day of lessons.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the above responses.
I reakon the best thing is to stop worrying, go with the flow, and stuff will sort itself out.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Over everything else go and have fun. The schools are really good and your concerns won't be their first they've had to consider. I am heading out in February for my third ski holiday to Thollon les Memises in France - lessons the first year at the resort and a private lesson at the Ski Centre in Hemel Hempstead and now just enjoying being out on the slopes works for me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
if your all the same level, have you thought about private lessons?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've always found Austrian ski schools to be excellent moving people between/up groups as needed. Even beginners get grouped into those who have never put skis on to those who have had a few lessons so the boys are likely to be with those who have at least been on skis before. They may also be asked to ski a short distance on the nursery slope to help place them in the best group.

Zell is a lovely resort so have fun.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes Zell is a very pretty resort, for beginners though I'd suggest you download in the gondola.

There's a nearby area called ""Familienberg Maiskogel which is a real confidence building area which is almost empty, just a short bus ride down to Kaprun. Its a free bus and its all on your lift ticket.

Its so nice I think I'll spend my first day there next week Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Welcome to the Forum Toby,

Does anyone know if the lake has frozen this winter yet?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No it's not frozen. I understand last year was quite unusual for it to be that we'll frozen.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tobydom100 wrote:
Thanks for the above responses.
I reakon the best thing is to stop worrying, go with the flow, and stuff will sort itself out.

Probably right. Get in with the spirit of it and you will have a blast. Be prepared for utter addiction though!
snow report
The only time I've had lessons in Austria - family of 4 - we'd had some dry slope lessons - they put everyone at the top of the nursery slope, watched us ski down then pointed out the correct group. It was a bit nerve wracking but absolutely the right way to do it. We ended up in 4 different groups. Mine was entirely German speaking - I speak some German (o level only) and there was a Dutch nun in the group who was fluent in English and German and who helped when I couldn't follow what the instructor was saying! If in doubt I'd put the boys in the next class up from beginner or yes, they probably will be bored!
snow conditions
I took my family last year for the first time ever (although I am an experienced skier).

The kids had done quite a lot of lessons on the dry slope before going so I moved them up to Intermediate (as did the other family we were with). The ski school then made their own judgement and moved one of the group (the youngest who was from our friend's family) back down to beginners. My opinion is that I would rather they started in the higher group though as the beginners may well be spending their first couple of lessons learning to put skis on, stand up, side step up the slope etc! Ours were very capable of skiing a full slope with linked snow-plow turns and when I saw them soon after their first lesson had started they were already getting around the slopes confidently!!

My wife had taken no lessons before going out and was also very nervous. She did the beginners lessons and was looked after very well - felt very confident until left to ski with us afterwards and soon headed back to the chalet!!! My biggest advice with regards to a nervous spouse is not to push her to do too much to ski after the lessons! We did with our wives and I was left with a very long, slow ski back down (with a lot of walking involved!).

Either way, have a brilliant time and I hope everyone falls in love with it. If I am honest, my wife is only going again this year because the kids and I loved it but lets see if another week gets her hooked!!
latest report
Quote:

She did the beginners lessons and was looked after very well - felt very confident until left to ski with us afterwards and soon headed back to the chalet!!!

It's not reasonable to expect a beginner with an hour or two on skis to ski with others after what was probably a tiring morning. Also, I always try to persuade people NOT to take nervous beginners on any slope they've not done with their instructor. Recipe for disaster! For people who are not very strong, and who do not normally do any significant exercise, a ski lesson is enough for one day! Lots of cycling, preferably up hills, and maybe some hill walking too, is probably better preparation than a couple of lessons on a dry slope - they're fine for keen beginners, but not much fun for the reluctant!

So, if you want your wife to get hooked, don't take her on any slope she's not done with her instructor. And, if possible, find top notch lessons for her, in small groups.
snow report
Another suggestion - if you've never tried snowboarding, rent the gear and then try boarding with her - will probably give her a great feeling of superiority (nothing like that feeling, for getting somebody hooked). And it will be good for you, as an experienced skier to remember how scary a prospect an easy beginner slope drag lift can be. Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy