Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Motorway Doofers

Poster: A snowHead
I have a doofer for the French tolls but I seem to remember that someone suggested an upgraded/alternative doofer was available that also covered Italian tolls.
I saw one that does France, Spain and Portugal. It also does UK tolls like M6 and Dartford but it seemed to be a UK company and was charging different rates than locals + extra for Forex and naturally I'd prefer just to pay the local rate in Euros if poss.

What doofer options are knocking around and where do they cover?
I'm looking to cover whatever I can out of France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, perhaps even Switzerland and Austria?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.area-enligne.com/Area/accueil.aspx?site=AREA&lang=EN&page=ACCUEIL

From barshaker here:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3319928
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@admin, it's a Top Europe one. Ours is from APRR I think.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just been looking at the Top Europe one - anyone know whether it will work with towing? The French one does - it correctly classes us as Class 2 and opens the barrier.

Italy charges per axle, annoying for those of us with TA caravans, and intrigued if it works?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got the Top Europe one from APRR when my old one died. For Spain and Italy it needs to be assigned to a reg number as they use ANPR but you can change/manage that via their web site and swap between cars. It uses a different mount so order extras if you want to swap between cars.

Just back from our kit car trip and mines a duff doofer Toofy Grin Wasn't a happy bunny jumping in and out of the car at every toll. Others on the trip had no problems in Spain and France.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Austria

you bought an HGV since the last bash then?
If so, the German and Austrian doofers both work in both countries Wink

Register and buy the e-vignette online (but I'd keep printout of receipt in the bus). I assume you can link it to any Eurozone account for paying the special tolls? Someone more local can probably say how well the ANPR e-toll lanes work with a foreign plate. If it throws a wobbly, then in a wrong-hand drive car, let the passenger sort it out Wink That's how I pay M6 toll Wink

I always leave it too late to sort e-vignette/e-toll, so have to use those legacy bank note things. Due to consumer laws you have to purchase 2-3 weeks in advance, so you can only cancel the purchase before the validity period starts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
- topEurop France, Spain, Portugal and Italy: € 15 badge activation fee,
then € 1.70 / month if circulated in France, € 2.40 / month if
circulated in the Iberian zone (Spain and Portugal) and 2 ,
40 € / month if circulated in Italy. If the badge is not used, no fee.

40€ / month if used in Italy! Shocked

Then I realised it's down to the line break and using a comma instead of a point for some reason.
2 , 40€ in Italy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Virgule , is usually commonly in france rather than pointe .

There was a télépéage offer on French Groupon. Worth checking out.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can use it for car parks at Turin airport too. Confused the hell out of us.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Indeed @Claude B, but the previous amounts, quoted in the same sentence, used points and a leading '€'.
Quote:

There was a télépéage offer on French Groupon. Worth checking out.

Ta but I've had a look and it appears to be for the liber-T pass which is only for France (and I already have)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
While we're here: this Winter, someone told me that French toll roads charge different rates and different times of the day ie there's a premium at peak times. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@admin, Dunno, but a few years back, I took part in an online survey for APRR where the questions asked my thoughts on whether I would change my travelling times if there were variable toll charges. Maybe based on the feedback they are planning to implement something.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Our bill is exactly the same regardless of time of day
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Useful link here on the Sixt website showing most roads and tolls. https://www.sixt.co.uk/toll-roads/europe/france/
ViaMichelin is good for calculating tolls when planning a trip.
In recent history we have never been charged differently for the time of day although many years ago in the days of the large (punch card sized) toll ticket there was a 25% surcharge listed if you spent overnight in an aire.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Certain autoroutes charge more at peak periods
If you spend more than a certain time on the autoroute there is a surcharge.
snow report
@davidof, useful to know... but do you have a link helping us to know which routes are the ‘certain’ ones or times?
snow conditions
Inboard wrote:
@davidof, useful to know... but do you have a link helping us to know which routes are the ‘certain’ ones or times?

AREA is 24 hours maximum on the autoroute
APRR 48 hours

so you can sleep overnight on either.

A nice link with information would be great.... but this is France so don't expect too much.

If you like faff getting off the autoroute and back on can save up to 25%, this site will let you calculate the route and charges

https://autoroute-eco.fr/index.html

The A1 into Paris has peak charging. I think the Dijon autoroute may also do this and would be more interesting for snowheads, I will look into it. With telepeage they should really do it a lot more but it is the dark ages here.
snow report
@davidof, thanks! Useful to know.
latest report
davidof wrote:

GVA to Val d'Isere is the same regardless of the time of day.

Who spends more than 24 hours on a French motorway? Shocked
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:
davidof wrote:

GVA to Val d'Isere is the same regardless of the time of day.

It's not even 24hours on a motorway it's 24hours between tolls!
ski holidays
Quote:

I can imagine a camper van on the route from Rheims to Lyon (or from Paris to the Spanish border), may just stop over two nights at an aire. The motorway toll is possibly less than camp site fees.
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:
Who spends more than 24 hours on a French motorway?

There are hotels at several aires.
snow conditions
I have, on occasion, done a few hours driving then spent the night at an aire in the BU5 4 DUB and awoken to find a beautifully sunny day powering the solar system to the max. So I just got out the laptops and started working in a chilled stylee. With solar powering not just the laptops but the in-van coffee machine, there's not the urgency to escape France for Italy in order to find a decent coffee so it's easy to spend the day replying to PM's about the bash that I'm on my way to etc.
I've not spent as long as 24hrs on the autoroute, as the prospect of dinner usually motivates me to get moving again, but between sleep, breakfast and a work-day I may have been on one for 18hrs so it's good to know, just in case Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy