Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee Blanche guided groups

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’d like to join a Vallee Blanche group (as a solo skier) - anyone know if there’s any groups that don’t include equipment hire? Everything I’ve looked at online, price includes transceiver, shovel and probe
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
to be honest I don't think the equipment hire affects the price very much. I think all groups include the equipment just because the guide wants to ensure you have the right equipment. A kit of transceiver, shovel and probe costs £300 give or take, if they only get a season out of it then it boils down to a few quid a time, which is a far better economy than finding out at an inopportune moment that somebody transceiver doesn't work anymore or their shovel is a flimsy plastic thing.

You could call and ask but I highly expect the safety equipment to be 'complimentary' as opposed to 'included'.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @dp

The ESF appears to be slightly cheaper but their price includes “coaching” and I can’t see an option for just joining a normal guided group, sans instruction. You don’t know anything about ESF tours do you? Thx
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
To mark the 10 year anniversary of our last trip to the Vallée Blanche, we are going back this March.
Instead of skiing I really want to board it his time.
Last time I recall the last couple of KM were pretty flat, and I had to skate a bit.
It's 10 years ago, so I do not really remember just how flat it is - anyone boarded it recently?
Also the person organising the trip and who has booked the guide (EUR 325) says we can do 2 runs in the day.
Anyone who has done 2 guided runs in one day - do they do the classic plus another route, or do you just do the classic twice ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@WindOfChange, I don't board. I've done the VB twice - one classic and one alternative (separate trips/days) but neither recently. From what I recall I wouldn't fancy boarding it because of the flat bits - which afaik are unavoidable. But if you are keen ping the guide and ask for advice. I definitely wouldn't do the classic twice. I really enjoyed doing the alternative and would be OK with doing the classic and an alternative. Otherwise I would want to go elsewhere in the afternoon. Which is what we did on trip B (when we did the alternative anyway).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Layne, Thanks for the advice.
I checked the guides website, and they say you should take telescopic poles if you are on a board but they'd rather not have mixed groups.
If the group is advanced level, there is an alternative route with fewer flats for boarders, but its steeper so everyone needs to be okay with that.
Guess I'll take skis up in the morning for the classic, and chat to the guide about the 2nd run ( with board and boots in the car in case she says its possible). Thanks again for the reply.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Doing it twice in a day is doable with a private guide but really why would you want to do it? There's not that much actual skiing on the valley blanche but lots of flattish bits, icy helter-skelter bits plus the 15-30 minute walk up carrying skis towards the end and the walk down the ridge in crampons at the start. Plus you want time to stop and take photos and soak up the scenery. Better if you get down quickly to find somewhere else to ski for the rest of the day IMHO
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@moseyp Ref ESF being cheaper - Whether you book with ESF or compagnie des guides, it will be a compagnie des guides guide so you might as well book with ESF. And if you want coaching tell your guide.

@windofchange - all depends on your group's level really what you end up doing. It sounds like a private booking with the guide, so you should be able to make contact to discuss tactics/options.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy