Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish ski touring and ski mountaineering

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Whilst searching the internet, I came across this:

HTTP://wintersun.me.uk/scottish-ski-touring/

Oddly enough I have skied parts of these routes, but I have never seen others doing so. (mostly locals skiing on fresh snow rather than tourists following a route)

Having looked at the route where I have skied, I would say there are better places to ski from the same hill. It depends if you are climbing the hill to ski, or skinning a circular route. For me it is usually the former, than the latter.

I thought I would flag it up though, as I was searching for a possible ski route to Glencoe through the mountains. The route I am looking at would join the route through Stob Ghabhar and Meall a' Bhuiridh which looks a full day in itself. Unfortunately, it looks like there is no complete route, and so you would need to walk along the West Highland Way for part and along roads sometimes. A complex kit dilemma!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having examined some of these routes, I am thinking of walking out the Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin route to see what perils might occur and where the best snow is likely to be. It is rated black diamond, whereas the Ben Ledi route is only a blue. I am not sure how the ratings work, but I guess it depends on exposed areas, steepness, and duration. I might short circuit the actual route as 7-8 hours is a little long given the short daytime hours at this time of year.

I guess walking it out will give me an idea of why it is rated black rather than Ben Ledi route being rated blue.

Has anyone done this route skiing, if so what tips do you have?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know the guy who made that web site.
It is basically a nice map overlay of the routes described in the classic SMC touring guide book.
Obviously the best snow depends on the recent weather / wind direction <etc>

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin are two nice hills.
One tricky scrambling section between the 2 peaks that would need axe and crampons.
Doesn't hold the snow that well compared other local options
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, I might decide to avoid that section and just do an up and down. I will probably walk it first though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy