Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What I put on my feet to drive

Poster: A snowHead
There's an excellent section of 'All I Can' (Sherpa's Cinema) where oldies drive their Toyota flatbed in ski boots. It can be done, and it's an excellent way to invalidate your insurance. So in CH I clear the steps in the morning in my Sorel snowboots These are excellent. Warm, dry and grippy. If I try to drive with them I manage constantly to press brake and accelerator at the same time. So I don't wear them driving. For the last 15 years I have used an excellent pair of Salomon Roadtrip shoes - warm, dry and grippy, but now they have turned old, knackered and act like sponges. I want shoes that accommodate ski socks but work in snow. I am now trying Scarpa Zen GTX. But my practice is to park, grab boots skis, sticks, sack, helmet and gloves, and then walk in shoes to the lift, hide my shoes somewhere - and so am able to (1) walk quickly from car to lift; (ii) deal with car parks which involve a 100m hike; (iii) save the bases of my boots (I am NOT carrying cattracks around). What do you wear?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
generally a semi-retired pair of off road running shoes (I like inov-Cool
they have a chunky lugged sole that works well on snow
No problem accommodating ski socks because mine are not much thicker than normal socks. As they should be if your boots fit right Cool
A lot of the time I'm skiing in touring boots of some description so walking across the car park isn't a problem anyway
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

an excellent way to invalidate your insurance

My insurance makes no mention of ski boots and I can drive perfectly well in them (auto box).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I drive in 6-inch heels...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Approach shoes with a Vibram sole. Some here https://rockrun.com/collections/approach-shoes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HoneyBunny, ....on the way from the chalet to the piste???!!!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, ....er....sounds like it's illegal in the 'States...

https://www.newschoolers.com/forum/thread/344133/Driving-in-Ski-Boots-?page=2
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Neoprene-Warm-Short-Ankle-Wellies-Rain-Wellington-Boots-Fishing-Hunting-NEW-/182382935103

Sole too wide? I typed "Mens warm wellington boots" into google pics, and got these and a couple of others.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old trainers - which are sufficiently knackered I don't worry about them slung under a bench or over a ski rack.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes, good man
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@valais2, all you can say is that some random strangers on an American ski forum think it's illegal and some don't.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

an excellent way to invalidate your insurance

My insurance makes no mention of ski boots and I can drive perfectly well in them (auto box).

UK Highway code 97 "You should ensure that.....clothing and footwear do not prevent you using the controls in the correct manner". If you have a crash when driving in ski boots and are deemed to have lost control, good luck arguing that the boots had nothing to do with it.

As for the law in other countries, I don't know but at a wild guess it may be similar.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is quite hard to drive in ski boots as they are wide and tend to get caught under the other pedals and on mountain roads you do a lot of gear changing on a manual car.

At least that is my experience, perhaps women with smaller feet would do better?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I take a pair of waterproof trail running shoes (Salomon) with me for driving -- feet stay dry and soles are excellent at gripping slippery or even icy pedals.. I also have a pair of old LL Bean boots for walking around in slush, mounting chains, snowball fights etc.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidof, I have quite small feet for a bloke (UK 5.5)

Maybe that helps.
snow conditions
Wellies or dealer boots if skiing. Usually have to change to ski boots in a carpark (Glenshee) whilst sorting out children too so they have to be easy to get on & off & I have to be able to walk in some snow with them on. I do a significant amount of my driving in wellies or high-calf hiking boots.
ski holidays
Sorels for snow-blowing and deneige-ing the cars
Knackered trainers for driving to the car park
Ski boots for walking to the lift

I recently had to call the EDF emergency number when a neighbour's meter-box burst into flames. 15 minutes later the EDF van pulled up, and matey jumped out resplendent in electric blue combinason and Salomon SX70's. Got the impression he'd been on standby since 1988 Madeye-Smiley.
ski holidays
davidof, For the ladies, at least wink

I know its been used many times before, but worth dragging up.

I just use a pair of merrell trail boots, waterproof ice friendly soles and warm.
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, ...surely that's what you mentioned (see post 2 above)...what the hell trousers do you wear with those?
snow report
@dogwatch, why would ski boots, " prevent you using the controls in the correct manner".

I have demonstrated that they don't.

How about flip flops?
latest report
Too cold.....
snow report
Salomon trail running shoes. I don't do so much cross country running, but they are excellent on snow and also on astro hockey pitches.
ski holidays
@valais2, haha I'd love to walk into an apres bar in those Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@under a new name, ....hmmmm....

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/driving-flip-flops-legal-rules-13430077

flip flops appear to be out.
additional category = too heavy ... ski boots? And then note 'not limiting ankle movement'...
note snow boots and walking boots

I would not drive in my Sorels - hopeless - almost cover two pedals in one go....

RAC:
Have a sole no thicker than 10mm… but the sole should not be too thin or soft.
Provide enough grip to stop your foot slipping off the pedals.
Not be too heavy.
Not limit ankle movement.
Be narrow enough to avoid accidentally depressing two pedals at once.

Note this is an RAC recommendation - the law is very general, and focuses on 'proper control of the vehicle'. However, I'd pretty sure I can predict what would happen in CH if you had an RTA and the Gendarmerie spotted that you were driving in ski boots.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy