Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving route to Hintertux

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've had a bit of a search, but there seems to be a lot of little bits of advice spread across quite a few threads. So could someone kindly recommend the best route to the Hintertux area via Munich please? We will be staying in Konigsleiten. Everyone (including Google Maps!) seems to have a slightly different opinion depending on what time and which day of the week you ask them. Fwiw we will be travelling out on a Saturday and hoping to stay over somewhere just short of Munich on the Saturday night. I'd like to get a hotel booked but that depends on which direction we end up coming at Munich from.

Winter tyres already fitted and I've read up on the vignette.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pandora, we drive to Saalbach every year, and only the last part differs for the Zillertal. We've tried the Brussels/Aachen/Koln route, both via Frankfurt and Wurzburg to Ulm, and via Mannheim and Stuttgart to the A8, but our preference is to go via Lille/Namur/Luxembourg and then cross into Germany at Schengen, on through Pirmasens to Landau, and then via Karlsruhe to the A8. Apart from the cheap fuel in Luxembourg which we can reach on a full tank from home, and from where we can reach Kufstein to fill up again on the cheaper Austrian diesel which also has the winter additives, avoiding Brussels and Frankfurt is a good idea.

The B10 road around Pirmasens is in the process of being upgraded to dual carriageway, but for now will be slower than the autobahns albeit more direct. Once you are on the A8, there are few options except if you need to detour 10km around a queue, so a satnav with live traffic data (e.g. Google maps) is essential unless you can listen to German radio and understand the details in the traffic report.

For an overnight stop, Ulm and Augsburg have lots of options just off the A8, but if you are able to get past Munich on Saturday and stay south of the A99 then I'd recommend it. As well as giving you more skiing time on Sunday, it puts the worst of the queues behind you. We stop somewhere around Rosenheim, and with a 7am breakfast we usually manage to have lunch on the slopes even with hire gear and passes to collect.

You can purchase the vignette in advance and have it posted to you, or pick it up on the A8 as you approach Austria, though the queues can sometimes be quite long. You'll need it from Kufstein onwards, and there are regular checks in both directions.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Always get my vignette at Holzkirchen services. Don't get it from Irschenberg services (I don't even recommend stopping there tbh).

I'd probably suggest the same route as above.

Or if the weather's nice, go over the Fernpass (Ulm-Memmingen-over the pass towards Innsbruck). Shorter, but I don't reckon it saves any time assuming the traffic is good. Jams should be less of an issue on a Sunday (except in the evening as Germany goes home after a weekend/day trip). If the journey continuation is a Saturday, my advice would be get as far as possible, and set off as early as possible on the Sat am.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pandora, my preferred route has always been Brussels, Aachen, Koln, Frankfurt and then via the A3 to Nuremberg, Munich, Kufstein and then to the Zillertal. We stay at the Hotel Mercure at Furth (a suburb of Nuremberg). Furth is no more than 7 hrs from Calais. It will be another 5 or so hours to Konigsleiten. Times are based on worst case scenario Friday and Saturday. If you are going Saturday then Sunday you will not get the big problem at Kufstein that everyone moans about on Saturday. Also don’t believe all you read about Brussels and Munich ring roads. Yes they can get busy like any other ring road but they generally do flow well, except Munich on a Saturday. Just show how travel times can surprise it only took us 1hr 50 min from Munich airport to Mayrhofen last January by Minibus early on a Saturday afternoon!!! The slowest part of the trip will be up the Zillertal to Konigsleiten because of the low speed limits.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brussels ring is fine. Always is in my experience. Yet again at Christmas on a working day in rush hour I did that in 12 minutes. And the same 12 minutes going back the other way. I have never taken more than 20 minutes to clear the Brussels ring. 12-15 is normal.
Munich ring I only do at night. 10pm typically. Rarely an issue. If I do stop over near Munich, I always stop over once past Munich if at all possible, and never stop over just short of Munich on a Friday night. Straight in to a jam on Saturday am.

For those that do prefer Calais-Brussels-Cologne-Frankfurt, that was was basically free of roadworks the other day. Zero delays. But the road surface on the E40 to Liege still rattles your fillings out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy