Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best gloves for cold hands with rubbish circulation

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone suggest which gloves are best to go for to keep hands that get cold easily warm? I always suffer with cold fingers and am desperate to try and avoid it this year.

Thanks Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@fallenangel1978, mittens, with liners. The best you can afford.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.alexski.com/epages/es114446.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es114446_es122113126086/Categories/"Men%27s%20Ski%20Gloves"
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get some hot hands - little sachets that warm up when activated. I put one in each glove at the start of the day, they sit in my palm, don't interfere with holding poles, and keep my hands toasty warm all day.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hestra mittens (or crab claws) will be the warmest you can get.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@fallenangel1978, Cold hands? or Reynaud's?

If your fingers change colour it's probably Reynaud's and it's not quite just poor circulation - it's a poorly understood shutting down of the circulation. My wife suffers quite badly. Your fingers go white, then blue then red as they warm up and it can be very painful. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/raynauds-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20363571

Badly enough that without an active solution she'd have had to give up skiing (after 40 years of skiing ~60 days a year).

Best we found (as she likes the gloves she likes) are heated glove liners from www.blazewear.com. She also has heated boot liners and may need to move to heated socks. More Li-Ion batteries than a Tesla.

She finds that the heated pockets that you put inside your gloves are of little benefit as they only heat the palm. Whereas the Blazewear elements run round the outside of the fingers. She then has Hestra mittens over them.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 24-10-17 15:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agreed on mitts. Very warm compared to regular gloves.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fallenangel1978, i had the same problem as you...or at least thought i had...

The heated gloves for skiing appeared very very expensive and as they do wear out in a few years i researched heated liners which could be moved from glove to glove and used in any situation...

So i imported these from Canada...

' http://powerinmotion.ca/Products/HeatedWear/Heated_Gloves_Calgary_Toronto_Vancouver_Canada '

Nobody can have cold hand in these - just utterly impossible. Think Canadian Snowmobile riders...

Downside is the battery packs are bulky and if used in glove liner pocket ( recommended for getting either liners off or other clothes on / off), then room in jacket around wrists / forearms is necessary. Alternatively, the 'stickman' wiring loom can be used ( it's included in my version) which means battery /batteries ( 1 or 2 can be used if needed) can be put in pockets - again, the downside is getting the connector fastening of glove to wiring loom - it's a little fiddly but doable.

3 heat settings , the LED power setting lights are strongly Red Blue and White and are so bright that they have always been visible through any sleeve jacket including a high quality Eider 'Alpine' jacket. Press glove button 2 secs for on / off and briefly ( about 0.5 secs from memory ) to change heat settings.

The heating wires are carbon fiber running down all fingers and over the back of the hand - all unnoticeable to touch.

So, for me i only used them once because a) i don't ski anymore in northern Sweden often at -25c in January, b), Alpine temps down to -10c are managed with Hestra mittens and wool liners - no medical cold hand condition, just slightly cold hands etc. They were overkill really and with the slight but manageable handling nuisances, i just stopped using them.

So, i'd recommend heated liners of some sort... Razz if you need active heat. Just very good mittens and liners if for normal alpine temps if not...

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 24-10-17 15:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hestra mitts
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tim Heeney, doesn't sound like you will need to but if you do come to replace them, https://www.blazewear.com/heated-active-glove-liners-black-kit.html. No cables. The batteries go into the cuff. Two per glove, each one about the size of a mobile phone battery.

Her nibs previously had a similar set up from a company who don't seem to exist any more ("Klan" - oddly, the logo on yours looks like a "k") designed for bikers and paragliders.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, yep, wondered about the 'K' on the heat setting button. it just could be they bought up a load of suitable buttons cheap with a 'K' on them...

Looks a similar solution except mine have 12v system made up sealed AA batteries - so they're larger with probably more heat output for longer. Similar price.

Good mitts and liners if req'd is all i need in 'normal' winter temps. At lower than -10c and especially with additional windchill, i'll be cursing though... Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tim Heeney, windchill requires leather or at least Hestra style partial leather, IME. Yeah, teh Mrs only had 2 battery sets for the big ones but needs 3 for a full cold day with the BWs. Still, they're still small enough that 2 spare sets go in pockets no problem.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For non-heated, the warmest I know of are:

Hestra Army Leather Expedition Mitt
Hestra Sirius Polar Mitt
Black Diamond Guide Finger Mitt
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd suggest Hestra mittens too
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 hestra mitts. Also I noticed hestra does heated gloves and mitts now https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/alpine/30441-power-heater-man-woman-mitt/100/
ski holidays
@fallenangel1978, The warmest heated gloves I've used are the Outdoor Research Lucent (Gloves or Mittens), they heat the back of the hand as well as the fingers, and provide positive heat rather than just keeping out the cold.

I've owned most of the top end heated gloves (Hestra, SnowLife, Black Diamond, Outdoor Research) over the years, and I wouldn't be skiing below -10C without them.

I generally leave them on the low setting all day, and the batteries last fine, but if you use the higher settings, then a spare set of batteries is required.
ski holidays
The nice thing about the liners is that if you need heat assist, then they can be used aruond town etc. whereas skis gloves aren’t really elegant enough Evil or Very Mad
snow report
My wife uses something similar to https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Hotties-Hand-Warmers-biodegradable/dp/B001GFT6EE?tag=amz07b-21

She says they work a treat, are quite cheap, and last the whole day.
snow conditions
I found the BD Guide glove unbearably warm.
latest report
If you don't like mitts i'd suggest Kinco Gloves from Spyderjon at the Piste Office. Half the price of Hestra and BD and toasty warm and just about bomb proof - they are so tough they take a week or so to bed in to your hand.

Just checked Jon's site and they have mittens too. Only £45.
http://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/kinco-gloves.html

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 24-10-17 22:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I love my Hestra "Lobster" mitts, with Gortex. Pricey. I wear them with inner glove liners too which I think are essential. Currently some Barts inners which are a thin but slightly squishy synthetic material. Hand on heart, I still get cold hands, but they are the best mitts and inner combo I ever owned. If it's truly freezing I have been known to resort to handwarmer sachets though. I do think women get cold extremities more than men.
snow conditions
I have cold sensitive hands but I also sweat a good amount.
Wet gloves are not good.

So I have a number of gloves to select from:
(note I also carry a very thin pair of glove liners in my jacket pocket)
(I am also in the northeast US (Vermont) and volunteer ski patrol)
Work gloves in order of warm to cold weather:
Kinco gloves with fabric at the back of the hand
Kinco 901 full leather or Snow Sherpard Venitex Leather Ski Gloves
Bulky fireplace mittens with fleece gloves (no palm leather) inside.
In the US ski patrollers are doing hill work - bamboo marking, etc. which can easily tear a thin fabric glove.

I have a similar array of lighter gloves and mittens for recreational skiing.

The bottom line for me is that I select a glove/mitten for me based on the day.

If your don't hands that sweat much then you can probably ignore most of this.
ski holidays
So, to my mind comes down to whether you have a clinical problem, Raynaud's, or not.

If so, maybe heating is the way forward, depends on severity and how cold the weather is where you ski. If not, lots of good not necessarily expensive gloves and mitts out there that might be adequate. Or not.
snow report
I know this thread runs the risk of turning into a Hestra advert, but I've got a pair of Heli gloves (not mitts), and they're amazing... Cost a bit if you time it wrong (I was lucky, got mine during a summer work trip to Utah 50% off!), but worth every penny..
snow report
Just back from the 3 Valleys trip where it was a touch chilly with a -11plus windchill on some days. My wife has Reynauds and as above with @under a new name, and others who said Blazewear liners and then a gortex mit on top, she actually has some TNF mits but 1 size up, as was advised in another thread, to accommodate the batteries, even though they are small.

They work a treat she's had them for 5 years now and we've only had an issue with them once (barring when she forgets to recharge them)

They've had a relaunch of more products recently but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet. Heated foot beds/boot liners will probably be next
snow conditions
Just back from the 3 Valleys trip where it was a touch chilly with a -11plus windchill on some days. My wife has Reynauds and as above with @under a new name, and others who said Blazewear liners and then a gortex mit on top. They work a treat she's had them for 5 years now and we've only had an issue with them once (barring when she forgets to recharge them)

They've had a relaunch of more products recently but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet. Heated foot beds/boot liners will probably be next
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy